If we can sign only one of Virtanen, Gaudette, and Stecher this offseason, who would you pick?

Virtanen, Gaudette, or Stecher?

• Total voters

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I get that they're all RFAs, but I don't think Gaudette should be an option here. Given his current salary and that he has little to no leverage... his contract won't be for much more than his replacement on the roster. In other words, if the Canucks can't afford Gaudette, how will they be able to afford his replacement?

I chose Stecher. Defence is a bigger area of need, Stecher will likely cost less, and Virtanen probably has more trade value.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I too don't think Gaudette should be in the same conversation as he's an RFA with no arbitration rights.

I voted for Stecher. I've seen enough of him now to be confident in saying that he's a real solid NHL damn. Don't really care if he's 2nd pairing or our #5. If you can lock him up to say a 4 year contract for value, he should be the most valuable asset of the three.

Reactions: ugghhh

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
definitely stecher, but why wouldn't we be able to re-sign him and gaudette? both should be dirt cheap, and definitely cheaper than anything comparable we could possibly replace them with on the UFA market

rea

Feb 8, 2011
Gaudette for me. Think he has more to give whereas stecher IMHO is pretty much what u see is what u get, He's a 5-6 dman on a contender.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Jake (Big Zack, Lind, Pods, Hogs) and Troy (Rafferty, Juiolevi) are replaced by cheaper guys already in our system. Who do have as an up and coming centre to replace Gaudette? Plus, Gaud is going to be cheap anyway.

Reactions: Fedz

yoss

May 25, 2011
Still holding out hope Jake can play with greater consistency, would like to see coach give him looks on the top lines more often b/c he seems to up his game, esp w/ Petey's influence and would hope they can keep him but in terms of the poll I have to go Stecher b/c he plays with a lot of heart, makes mistakes here and there yes, but never from lack of effort and also makes big plays occasionally at opportune times, notably this year in the playoffs.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
said Virts, but really we should sign all 3 for about $1M each. Maybe Jake gets $1.5 M. Not one of them has any leverage. I would include Zack in this group as well. We have no money with which to be stupid, because JB's history of overpaying UFA is killing us right now.

Your 4th line should be cheap veterans or ELC's trying to make it in the NHL, not $20 M of overpaid failures.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Stecher would be no better than a #5-6 d-man on a good team....and Virtanen is madly inconsistent. I suspect both could be on the trade block.

Canucks are desperately thin at center, and Gaudette is a natural center. That alone makes him the most valuable of the three.

Reactions: David71

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
package sutter and stecher for something back. picks+prospects?roster players but at a cheaper contract

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Virtanen has the most trade value so I would sign him. After I would trade Virtanen and get a legit third line center.

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I get the hate for Jake (I don't like him either) but he's the best option here
Then it's Gaudette.

Stecher is heart and soul but for what he might ask for compared to what he really is, he's definitely internally replaceable.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Like others have said, Gaudette has zero leverage and will be cheap $$ no doubt.

Voted Stecher for the poll.

Virtanen is as good as gone already IMO. GMJB seems to be moving on.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Stecher is the best player, but we have some solid D prospects coming up. Gaudette has a ton of potential and we are peper thin at C for prospects. We can't afford to lose him.

boogeybendo

Dec 18, 2017
in what world does this happen? both stetcher and jake do have leverage as they are eligible for arbitration, where they would likely both get in the 3 mil range. if they were 1 mil each then this wouldn't even be a conversation.

said Virts, but really we should sign all 3 for about $1M each. Maybe Jake gets $1.5 M. Not one of them has any leverage. I would include Zack in this group as well. We have no money with which to be stupid, because JB's history of overpaying UFA is killing us right now.

Your 4th line should be cheap veterans or ELC's trying to make it in the NHL, not $20 M of overpaid failures.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
I think that all three should be resignable at a decent price. Stecher played well during the playoffs and can step up into the top 4. I hate that some people are giving up on Virtanen as I honestly think he'll grow into a role and he could be a good 2nd line forward. He's just been given no long-term opportunities in a top 6 role. He had some good chemistry with Gaudette and Roussel but I'm wondering if it's personality that is the issue between him and management that is keeping him in the bottom 6. As for Gaudette, I think he'll get a half-decent contract (maybe around the 1-1.5 mark for a couple years) which would be perfect for the bottom 6.

For this though, I think Virtanen would fetch the most in a trade, Gaudette would be cheap enough to keep than a replacement so I voted for Stecher as RHD as I think we have better prospects up front than on the blueline.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I read the question wrong and answered Virtanen.

Real answer is Stecher.

Don't like Virtanen's work ethic. He has an excellent shot, is an excellent skater and has a big body. And somehow we are always left wanting more. I think Jake needs a change of scenery and can also be used as a sweetener to free up CAP space. Ideally I'd make a trade like this an re-sign Leivo to the same role.

I think Gaudette has a ways to go to be an effective NHL'er not sure he'll ever get there. He has flashes of speed an skill but doesn't use the body well, his positioning is below average as he often chases on the forecheck. Not a particularly good stick either. I like Gaudette but if I'm going to pick him apart these are the reasons and they aren't easy fixes. Anyone thinking he has potential to be a top 6 player has been watching a different game then I.

Stecher on the other hand is a work horse. One with an under-rated skill set. Don't let this guy walk he's an affordable and good bottom pair defenseman. On top of that he can slot in to the top 4 and not look overwhelmed if injuries occur (and they always do on the blue-line).

Choice is basically made for team need and this team desperately needs more capable defensemen.

Reactions: mathonwy

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Stetcher is the best player on that list by a fair bit, however I don't think this team will be true contenders in the next few years and Gaudette has upside.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
in what world does this happen? both stetcher and jake do have leverage as they are eligible for arbitration, where they would likely both get in the 3 mil range. if they were 1 mil each then this wouldn't even be a conversation.

This isn't normal times. There are going to be a glut of players on the market. With escrow, I think players are only going to get 65% of their contract amount. And I think with 15 teams in cap hell, a lot of those close too as bad trouble as the Canucks, good luck with finding a payday. And I want Virts back, but if its $3M, walk away. He is not worth that. Of course, half the Canucks are not worth what they are getting paid.

ELC's, Horvat, JTM maybe, are the only players not overpaid on the forwards. (still under contract)

Not one of the D men. (ELC excepted of course)

And Demko is on a bargain contract that is going to get a major increase if we keep him.

We did good this year, but seriously, other than our young core let everyone walk. Horvat, Demko, Hughes and EP.

Sign Motte, ZM, and thats about it. Let all the others walk if they want serious money. There is going to be so much meat available on the waiver wire if JB only has the cojones to wait until then to fill his roster.

edit - We have 10 players (under contract) that are overpaid. Boeser is probably fair (but he needs to earn it this year). We have 11 RFA and UFA's that need to sign friendly contracts or let them walk.

No one has been a bigger bandwagon fan than me, but I am sick of JB handing out ridiculous contracts to underperformers. We are going to be a good team in a year or two, but stop screwing up our cap situation you idiot.

Last edited:

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Tony Stretcher. The man the machine, the little bulldog.

And the only one of the three to show up in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->