"If we can only get another goal and a half..." (NHL working to halt scoring drought)

Tough Guy

Jan 26, 2013
But seriously, the NFL rarely has an outrageous number of touchdowns per game, and yet people still watch, so scoring isn't the issue.

Uhhh, what? That was the absolute worst example you could have used. The NFL is a very offense-oriented league and they go to GREAT lengths to ensure it remains so. Offensive records are being shattered in the NFL every few years.

Maybe if the NHL actually tried marketing their product for once...

You can only market a crappy product so much. You could market dead puck hockey 24/7 on every TV channel, magazine and web site in the world and it won't make anyone like it.

Betamax*

I'll take less stoppages in play over slightly more scoring any day of the week.

Teams will just ice the puck regardless. A little rest is better than none at all.

I would love to see how things play out out under real world conditions. Say use the AHL as a testing ground like they did with other proposed rules like hybrid icing and removal of the red line.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The shot blocking is partially a symptom of another prevalent strategy in the NHL, which is the clogging of the middle of the ice in the defensive zone. People get up in arms everytime I mention it, but if you really wanted to increase scoring, you need to implement an illegal defense rule, a la NBA, where defending forwards can only spend so much time in the middle of the ice. Goals would increase markedly from that. It would never happen, though.

Edit: business discussion part of this. On one hand, more scoring would help promote the images of individual players, and therefore promote the image of the league in itself. For the game as a whole, it's hard to tell. As experienced hockey watchers, this might sound crazy, but there are a lot of people who seem to feel that scoring in the NHL, when it does happen, often comes out of nowhere. There's simply too much speed and chaos for some people to follow the play. Like I said, sounds weird to us, but it is a perception that's out there. Reinforced by a line from the West Wing... "ever notice that scoring seems to happen at random in hockey? even the play-by-play guy is surprised"

Last edited:

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
The shot blocking is partially a symptom of another prevalent strategy in the NHL, which is the clogging of the middle of the ice in the defensive zone. People get up in arms everytime I mention it, but if you really wanted to increase scoring, you need to implement an illegal defense rule, a la NBA, where defending forwards can only spend so much time in the middle of the ice. Goals would increase markedly from that. It would never happen, though.

I think Betamax mentioned shot blocking above. I hadn't really thought about it before but honestly I think the league should make it illegal (laying out flat on the ice). You have some silly rules like covering the puck with your glove, etc., which do the same thing-- stop or slow down the play. Hockey is a sport where the stick is meant to be the main means of passing or directing the puck. Maybe that needs to be reinforced for skaters. (Never mind the injury factor and that skaters don't have the padding for absorbing 100 mph shots.)

That said, I personally don't like anything else that increases uneven strength scoring. Having the extra man IS the reward to the team that was fouled. It's a significant advantage as it stands.

The times you really see things bogging down is at ES play. I'll have to look at the charts/analysis above (and thanks for linking, VinnyC) to see what the historical changes look like at ES vs special teams. I wouldn't think it a massive step forward if teams went to 50% time on the PP and efficiency rates of 40% plus. Yuck.

Edit: business discussion part of this. On one hand, more scoring would help promote the images of individual players, and therefore promote the image of the league in itself. For the game as a whole, it's hard to tell. As experienced hockey watchers, this might sound crazy, but there are a lot of people who seem to feel that scoring in the NHL, when it does happen, often comes out of nowhere. There's simply too much speed and chaos for some people to follow the play. Like I said, sounds weird to us, but it is a perception that's out there. Reinforced by a line from the West Wing... "ever notice that scoring seems to happen at random in hockey? even the play-by-play guy is surprised"

Too much of it happens by putting pucks on net and having a scrum. Ugly goals. Can't stand it. Hacking at each other doesn't require a lot of skill.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
One simple idea I would suggest is reduce or eliminate neutral zone face offs. For example if the offensive team is offsides then the face off comes back to their defensive zone instead of neutral ice.

I figure having the face off in one team or the other's zone most of the time should lead to a slight increase in scoring opportunities.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Hockey is a sport where the stick is meant to be the main means of passing or directing the puck.

... or your team mate.

kronwall-pushing-eaves.gif

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Fugu said:
I think Betamax mentioned shot blocking above. I hadn't really thought about it before but honestly I think the league should make it illegal (laying out flat on the ice). You have some silly rules like covering the puck with your glove, etc., which do the same thing-- stop or slow down the play. Hockey is a sport where the stick is meant to be the main means of passing or directing the puck. Maybe that needs to be reinforced for skaters. (Never mind the injury factor and that skaters don't have the padding for absorbing 100 mph shots.)

Honestly, my problem with eliminating shot blocking has little to do with the play. The complete sellout is something that I think helps the image of hockey, which is deeply rooted in sacrifice. Penalize that and we start to get into conflicts with the ethos of the sport itself. I don't think increasing goal scoring is worth that.

Fugu said:
That said, I personally don't like anything else that increases uneven strength scoring. Having the extra man IS the reward to the team that was fouled. It's a significant advantage as it stands.

The times you really see things bogging down is at ES play. I'll have to look at the charts/analysis above (and thanks for linking, VinnyC) to see what the historical changes look like at ES vs special teams. I wouldn't think it a massive step forward if teams went to 50% time on the PP and efficiency rates of 40% plus. Yuck.

That would be AWFUL. I agree with not increasing powerplay scoring. In fact, if they were to implement an illegal defense rule like I described above, I'd actually say that it shouldn't apply to PKing teams, much like icing doesn't.

Fugu said:
Too much of it happens by putting pucks on net and having a scrum. Ugly goals. Can't stand it. Hacking at each other doesn't require a lot of skill.

Personally, I love the chaos of those moments. It's one of the big draws to the game for me.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera
One simple idea I would suggest is reduce or eliminate neutral zone face offs. For example if the offensive team is offsides then the face off comes back to their defensive zone instead of neutral ice.

I figure having the face off in one team or the other's zone most of the time should lead to a slight increase in scoring opportunities.

A couple of thoughts off your ideas-just bouncing around here:

Would going one step further by eliminating neutral zone help or hurt? Removes offsides, so you've got more players taking a chance-and only puck drop would be a center ice after goals.

If you keep neutral zone and eliminate neutral zone faceoffs, I think that might have the opposite effect-guys taking less chances of a breakaway knowing it will come back to their zone.

I do like the idea of increasing offensive zone faceoffs though-just how to do it and keep encouraging risk taking.

Betamax*

Yeah, I agree I think it would be too much of a radical change. Hockey as pointed out previously by Pilky01 should typically be more of a free flowing game. Unlike the start and stops we see that is so prevalent with the NBA. As a digression, the last couple of minutes and all those time-outs and fouls (and sometimes hack-a-Shaq tactics) they employ in the NBA probably illustrate this the most.

If there are more goals ... there's more opportunities for the the TSN or ESPN SportCenters and Sport Highlight packages to pick from and the more atheistically pleasing goals can therefore be displayed. Those sport highlight packages are essentially "free advertising" for the NHL so the more goals for the broadcaster to cherry pick from and show as highlights, the better the game is presented to the viewer.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Personally, I love the chaos of those moments. It's one of the big draws to the game for me.

Somehow I like you less now. :squint:

It's exciting at times, like in the waning minutes when a team puts out the extra man, for example. I've come to dislike it because it seems to be taking over as the preferred modus operandi.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
If they want to open the game up and remove delay, allow players to skate in the puck offside.
Stupid to call an offside because of a player who's skate is only a cm inside the blueline, seems completely arbitrary.

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera

It's exciting at times, like in the waning minutes when a team puts out the extra man, for example. I've come to dislike it because it seems to be taking over as the preferred modus operandi.

This kind of leans back towards the whole goalie equipment debate as well as shot blocking-if players are feeling that's the only way to get a goal is a goal mouth scramble and those "ugly" goals.

OR-is this the result of "parity" in the NHL? If every team in theory has a even chance to win, does that mean that all teams are averaging an "average" talent base? Because then that leads to the questions of dilution of talent base-and "average" players making up the bulk of a talent base.

Let me throw this out then: The NHL wants to have its cake and eat it too: it wants all teams to have parity (because "it's exciting when fans of all teams believe their team has a shot at the playoffs/Stanley Cup") but it also wants excitement and goal scoring, which requires talented players who score goals on a regular basis. Well, you can't have both, because if you have that parity, then you aren't having talented players blowing past Dmen and putting pucks past lesser goal tenders. That's what leads to more goals, which leads back to the comment about how not having super powered teams is bad for the game-because everyone, for all teams are varying degrees of average where the "super" teams now-LA, Pittsburgh, ect-are really more of a "higher average team" in comparison. (BTW that's not dissing those teams, I'm speaking merely from a parity standpoint :)

IMO you can't have parity and high goal scoring, because everything averages out with the teams. That plus essentially all teams now play a variation of a safe, defensive style, and the games will be low scoring.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Part of the issue is the modern coach's obsession with not giving up goals. This has percolated into the broadcasts as well. Watch the analysis between periods today and what you see is a breakdown of why a goal should not have happened. Goals are now perceived to be the product of mistakes rather than of skill. I am absolutely convinced that the coaches today see a 1-0 win as the perfect game.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Part of the issue is the modern coach's obsession with not giving up goals. This has percolated into the broadcasts as well. Watch the analysis between periods today and what you see is a breakdown of why a goal should not have happened. Goals are now perceived to be the product of mistakes rather than of skill. I am absolutely convinced that the coaches today see a 1-0 win as the perfect game.

Wasn't that always the case, in spite of our perceptions-- except for the seriously imbalanced NHL eras (parity-wise).

This goes to that mathematical concept of randomness and that by and large hockey is ruled by it (or wins/losses are a result of mistakes).

This goes to what Tinalera is saying as well. Superior teams can create chances, control the play against an inferior team. The closer the teams are to each other in talent, the more likely that the game will be determined by random events or mistakes.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

I think of them as similar to rugby scrums, but that being said... I'd prefer skill goals every time if given the choice. :laugh:

MaskedSonja

Feb 3, 2007
Formerly Tinalera

I think this in part as well comes from the fans. When I cruise the boards of fans who have won a game in particularly ugly fashion, out of every 10 fans, maybe two try to talk about how they didn't care the sloppy play, and criticize it. The rest are "it's 2 points, I'll take it" and accuse the fans who are critical that they should be happy they won the game. The ownership seems to take this and tell coaches to just play safe/defensive/get at least 1 point type of hockey.

And with teams being "even" more or less-it leads to parity, and therefore even less risk taking by coaches. Again, NHL wants high skill/goal scoring and also wants all fans of the teams to be balanced so that "everyone feels they have a chance"-NHL can't have it both ways.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Scoring

Give the scoring a month to reach its level.

The encouraging part is that with the influx of rookies with offensive skills are improving the overall offensive skills of the third line and third defensive pairings. Too early to comment about the quality of the new goalies but from what I have seen this week there is little to get excited about.

After a month we will have a clear picture of the net offence that the NHL rookies can generate compared to the 3rd and 4th liners or depth defensemen they replaced throughout the league.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
You can increase scoring by changing one simple rule. Icing should be called even if your a man down. It forces penalty killers to play the puck out instead of blasting it out of the zone.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
Just call the penalties as they are in the rulebook and be done with it.

But that would require competent referees. That's almost mission impossible. :(

I see so many missed penalties on TV replays, mostly high-sticking. Maybe allow video replays to be used to call penalties. This might require an additional off-ice official "monitoring the monitor".

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Easy Television/Media vs Good Hockey

Easy television/media features explaining why things should not happen. See car accidents. Popular TV. No one will watch proper driving techniques.

Good hockey.

Explaining the beauty - on ice of Adam Oates moving Alexander Ovechkin to RW from LW is difficult. Face it, neither Boudreau nor Hunter figured it out before Oates did it Nor did any of the talking heads including former coaches and players.

Likewise the found offence of the Montreal Canadiens with Gerard Gallant as an assistant. Very basic old time hockey.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
And with teams being "even" more or less-it leads to parity, and therefore even less risk taking by coaches. Again, NHL wants high skill/goal scoring and also wants all fans of the teams to be balanced so that "everyone feels they have a chance"-NHL can't have it both ways.

Furthermore, to make this as relevant to the BOH as possible-- is the NHL's supposition correct/accurate, that you need higher scoring, or specifically about another 1.5 goals per game to drive ratings and fan interest?

Like you keep saying, they seem to want it both ways, to get teams as equal as possible but then to have something closer to firewagon hockey. I mean, we could mandate only one defenseman be allowed on the ice at any given time as well. :D

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Cba

Furthermore, to make this as relevant to the BOH as possible-- is the NHL's supposition correct/accurate, that you need higher scoring, or specifically about another 1.5 goals per game to drive ratings and fan interest?

Like you keep saying, they seem to want it both ways, to get teams as equal as possible but then to have something closer to firewagon hockey. I mean, we could mandate only one defenseman be allowed on the ice at any given time as well. :D

The necessary player changes have to be made within the context of the CBA, the salary floor, conditions on ELCs, the reality of compliance and other buyouts, looking forward at bridge contracts, arbitration, RFA/UFA scheduling, etc.

Pad length or other cosmetic issues are very low percentage factors. Pad length may create a larger 5-hole but shorter pads also facilitate a goalies lateral(east-west) movement.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
The issue with hockey is that it is a hard game to understand and to really enjoy it you need to. An average fan can understand a great passing play in football or a clutch 3 pointer in basketball, it much harder for an average fan to see a clutch save and get the same rush. There are also a fair number of rules and customs in hockey to understand. A casual sport watcher who the NHL is going after does not understand why play just suddenly stops, why a player can stop the play nearly instantly, or why players fight. He sees a hard to understand game, one which he thinks is too fast understand, one he thinks the players have no idea what they are doing, and finally a game where scoring and scoring chances do not happen often. As a lifelong hockey fan I cannot understand the why people would not love the game. It is fast, physical, exciting, and extremely entertaining. Hockey is much more like football (not the American kind) than any other big American sport and it has the same issues getting inroads into the American public. No increase in goals is going to solve the issue. Plus the fact that during the winter when football is winding down and hockey heating up the channel synonymous with sports coverage in the US ESPN, gives less than 5 minutes per hour of news coverage to hockey. ESPN also prefers to cover a basketball players meltdown rather than 5 hockey games from the previous night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad