If Wayne Gretzky were Russian

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
He would have been in a Soviet system that stifled creativity and may have not had the freedom to develop his game as it ended up.

Actually, I think that his ancestors were from eastern Europe somewhere.

Now correct me if I am wrong, but the general impression that Soviet hockey left upon me is that of being incredibly creative in terms of emphasis on both individual skill and imaginative combinational team play. If anything, Gretzky would have thrived to even greater heights in Soviet style hockey.

espo*

Except you keep beating the same drum. No matter who the partner, it's the same song and dance.

You aren't open to discussion when it comes to international hockey. You are simply contrarian to European hockey fans. And in doing so, all you do is block real discussion from happening.

except that i keep beating it only when the same ones that are contrarian to Canadian or north American hockey beat theirs and that's a fact.if they want to discuss something sensibly and without intent on malice you won't get a problem with me but that is rarely how it ever goes.

But as for this thread you asked for me to back off and i did. what more can i say?

Last edited by a moderator:

espo*

Thanks for the compliment. I think you used to be more objective about international hockey in the past and I considered you as a fair guy too. At some point you seemed to let some Russian posters get under your skin though.

Anyhow, I don't see this as a whining thread at all. Speculation is to a large part what we do here at HFboards and this is a delicious topic. Likewise it's interesting to think what would have become of Kharlamov, for example, had his parents left Soviet Union in the 60'ies.

These types of discussions are always interesting for people like myself who enjoy 'what if' questions. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Counterfactual_history

Well maybe i have but i'm not sure about that.But like i said to zine,i'm soon going to be making some threads (legitimate and entertaining ones that can be the focus of real discussion) and we'll see how they are reacted to by all..........mods and fans. There is stuff concerning hockey that are legitimate to talk about yet i'd never go down that road here because all hell would break loose,but i'm going to now.If it is really all about legitimate discussion and 'delicious" topics around here,then people should have no problem discussing some of the stuff i'll bring up in the future.

We'll see bouciat.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Probably not.

Some of Gretzky's legacy stems from the fact he's Canadian. He IS a source of pride for many Canadians. If he was Russian he'd still be considered the best ever but not held up on a pedestal to the extent he is now.

Plus, when he came into the league the NHL still had a very good ole' boy brickheaded mentality towards Europeans. His first few years would have been very different (especially if he was Russian). However, I'm positive his brilliant play would have eventually won over teammates and fans alike.

This sums it up very nicely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->