If Toronto gets a second team

This is my year!
Dec 19, 2011
The past
They could put a second team in Toronto and both franchises would be worth a billion dollars. That would be one intense rivalry.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
If Toronto got a second team, I would be a HUGE supporter of it. That being said, Leafs will still be my #1 team, with the new Toronto team being my #2.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Don't understand the concept of a "second" team.

It's like having a second wife in a polygamist marriage...

You have your one team, and then there are teams that you wouldn't mind seeing doing well. But the concept of a second team is bizarre.

Can you truly cheer on "another" team the same way you do the Leafs?

I'm not convinced many of you will be able to

Silent Knight

45 RULES
Nov 6, 2010
Cypress Creek
I'd rather a team in Mississauga, Hamilton makes no sense to me. It's a dump and too far.
A dump and too far... too far from what??? It's right in the middle of Toronto/Buffalo, how about having at least some DISTANCE between franchises instead of having 2 in basically one location. Your argument makes no sense. You're apparently from Ukraine... what do you care about distance? ... or are you originally from Ukraine but living in TO and believe it's too far from being able to travel to from Toronto to see a game??? Suck it up... if you already have a team that is there, let another city have one... driving an hour and a half or less is not "too far", you sound spoiled.

dystorsion

Aug 10, 2010
"The passion that unites us all" would no longer hold true. There would be a great divide and we'd all be fist-fighting each other on the streets in the convenience of one greater city.

Regardless, that would be fun to watch. You'll always be in my heart, TML.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
the 2nd toronto franchise will be called the toronto japanese maple leafs :)

images

ungentrified

Jan 18, 2013
My preference would be for the Markham Commuters - you can even have the 407 running through their logo!

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Don't understand the concept of a "second" team.

It's like having a second wife in a polygamist marriage...

You have your one team, and then there are teams that you wouldn't mind seeing doing well. But the concept of a second team is bizarre.

Can you truly cheer on "another" team the same way you do the Leafs?

I'm not convinced many of you will be able to

Not in the same sport IMO. I'm a big Jays fans for example, and would be ecstatic if they won the WS.

When it comes to hockey... it's all about the Leafs. And then as a general hockey fan, I have preferences for certain other teams when it comes to the playoffs, but mostly it's just as a general hockey fan. Toews is my favourite player, so I like to see Chicago do well. I like LA, St. Louis, Minnesota, and Anaheim as well for various reasons. Notice how they're all Western Conference teams though? The closer you get to being a rival with Toronto, the harder it is for me to be happy for that team if they win.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Not in the same sport IMO. I'm a big Jays fans for example, and would be ecstatic if they won the WS.

When it comes to hockey... it's all about the Leafs. And then as a general hockey fan, I have preferences for certain other teams when it comes to the playoffs, but mostly it's just as a general hockey fan. Toews is my favourite player, so I like to see Chicago do well. I like LA, St. Louis, Minnesota, and Anaheim as well for various reasons. Notice how they're all Western Conference teams though? The closer you get to being a rival with Toronto, the harder it is for me to be happy for that team if they win.

The only time i would have issues ,is when they play the leafs.

MajorityRules*

And let's be real here, MAJORITY of Toronto sports fans are fairweather fans who are bandwagoners.

Among those who are Leafs fans, a huge chunk are oblivious to hockey or the nitty gritty of the sport in general, and just watch because it's the thing to do here

When I think of Toronto sports fans I think of morons who boo Ottawa and Montreal, but when it's either of those teams in the playoffs, they go to Boston Pizza to cheer them on "because they're Canadian"

Most fans in Toronto are, I think, regionalists. They'll cheer hardest for the Leafs, their favorite players are the ones from Toronto, and the next levy below that is being a fan of Canadian hockey players (and Team Canada / WJC). The allegiance isn't to the franchise, so if another team set up shop here and stacked itself with local players, the switch would indeed be on.

That is pure BS.

I don't live in Toronto anymore and don't care if 10 teams showed up in the area, I'm not about to cheer for them anymore than I'd cheer for Ottawa or Montreal.

I have a solution for you though. If you're so fed up with the Leafs and their management, Ottawa is screaming for fans. You can jump right on their bandwagon. Personally I'd like to see a lot of you whiners and complainers switch teams. DSRED or whatever his name is switched to Boston and I was happy to see him go. There'd still be plenty of great Leaf fans behind. We wouldn't even notice you were gone.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
ny has 2 teams of everything
3 in hockey
you cant be a rangers fan and a devils fan ?

but in toronto it would be hard to hate one and cheer the other
i think we would root for both
and when they play each make it go to ot !

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That is pure BS.

I don't live in Toronto anymore and don't care if 10 teams showed up in the area, I'm not about to cheer for them anymore than I'd cheer for Ottawa or Montreal.

I have a solution for you though. If you're so fed up with the Leafs and their management, Ottawa is screaming for fans. You can jump right on their bandwagon. Personally I'd like to see a lot of you whiners and complainers switch teams. DSRED or whatever his name is switched to Boston and I was happy to see him go. There'd still be plenty of great Leaf fans behind. We wouldn't even notice you were gone.

There's a bunch that switched, my ignore list is full of them.

For some reason they still post here as I see others quote them. They most likely aren't wanted on their new Teams boards either.

If everyone would just ignore them they'd crawl away.

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Yes,we all know competition is terrible for the fans / consumers.

We were better off in Canada when we just had Bell and Rogers gouging us, stupid Wind Mobile coming in and dropping prices and increasing features and service.

Hamilton is where they should be focusing. The goal of having competition should be to force Bell/Rogers to make an actual product that brings returns to its stakeholders (ie. us). Hamilton is far enough not to cut too deeply into MLSE's home turf, and would boost the economy in the Hammer. At the same time, it would be close enough to influence Leaf decisions.

Besides, can you imagine having obnoxious rival fans in our own city? They're bad enough when they're in their own cities.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
My choice would be the Markham Pandas
I like that.

Could I switch teams? Maybe. Doubtful, but after decades in the wilderness with the Leafs, there are times when I would sure appreciate a local option.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
I'd love a new team in Toronto, would be awesome and hope it happens.

At the same time, I would hate the new team to death and guarantee they'd be my most hated rival team of the entire NHL.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I imagine I became a Leaf fan solely through a geographical closeness to the city. If I grew up in Montreal, I would probably have been a Habs fan. With that in mind, having another option in the GTA, basically my city, I wouldn't have a problem switching to the new team. Historically the Leafs have been nothing but disappointing since Conn Smythe sold the team to Ballard/Smythe/Bassett (with a couple of exceptions). They take their fanbase for granted, are experts at making money, hopeless at building a contender. Yeah, I could switch to another Toronto based team, AND in my opinion, the competition would help the Leafs improve, I guarantee you that having the possibility of losing their fanbase to a local rival would be just the type of threat that would finally make them become accountable for the product on the ice as much as the sickening profits MLSE take year in, year out.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
the 2nd team could also have a AHL farm team in toronto

If they wanted to mess with the Leafs, Mississauga would be a good choice.

If a second team does happen, I just hope it cuts my season ticket wait time down for the Leafs. I'm planning for my retirement, 3 years into my wait so far and counting. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad