If Toronto gets a second team

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
No to a 2nd NHL team in Toronto ever.

This is Leafs town and i hope MLSE tries to block any attempt to bring another NHL team to Toronto.

Yes,we all know competition is terrible for the fans / consumers.

We were better off in Canada when we just had Bell and Rogers gouging us, stupid Wind Mobile coming in and dropping prices and increasing features and service.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
No offense, but sitting in Ukraine do you have an understanding of how "seriously" Leafs fans take their hockey here?

Or are you making a summation based on a number of posts you've read?

Sitting in Toronto, seeing as I was born here, I do have an understanding of how seriously Leafs fans take their hockey here. It's not nearly as insane as that psychotic, borderline-religious post.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
And let's be real here, MAJORITY of Toronto sports fans are fairweather fans who are bandwagoners.

Among those who are Leafs fans, a huge chunk are oblivious to hockey or the nitty gritty of the sport in general, and just watch because it's the thing to do here

When I think of Toronto sports fans I think of morons who boo Ottawa and Montreal, but when it's either of those teams in the playoffs, they go to Boston Pizza to cheer them on "because they're Canadian"

Most fans in Toronto are, I think, regionalists. They'll cheer hardest for the Leafs, their favorite players are the ones from Toronto, and the next levy below that is being a fan of Canadian hockey players (and Team Canada / WJC). The allegiance isn't to the franchise, so if another team set up shop here and stacked itself with local players, the switch would indeed be on.

Silent Knight

45 RULES
Nov 6, 2010
Cypress Creek
A 2nd team in Toronto makes me ill.

All the years of Hamilton DESERVING a team more than anywhere else and there's always some stupid place that pops up and is next in line. The Leafs and Sabres are annoying if for the only reason of them being so paranoid at another Franchise in between them.

Hamilton is not going to hurt Toronto anymore than another team in Toronto would (though I doubt that is the fear), the real issue lies with Buffalo and how they would supposedly be hurt by a new team in Hamilton, I think they are delusional. Where I live it will still be closer for me to travel to Buffalo to see a game than it would to see one in Hamilton... people will go wherever there's hockey, Buffalo isn't going to drown if Hamilton joins. This has always been the concern... I think it's ridiculous. Too bad Jim Balsillie is a 1st class jackass or things may have progressed a bit further.

How many Leaf fans agree with me, you'd rather see a team in Hamilton than a 2nd in Toronto? It just makes sense, doesn't it?! Oh well it's only a pipe dream.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
A 2nd team in Toronto makes me ill.

All the years of Hamilton DESERVING a team more than anywhere else and there's always some stupid place that pops up and is next in line. The Leafs and Sabres are annoying if for the only reason of them being so paranoid at another Franchise in between them.

Hamilton is not going to hurt Toronto anymore than another team in Toronto would (though I doubt that is the fear), the real issue lies with Buffalo and how they would supposedly be hurt by a new team in Hamilton, I think they are delusional. Where I live it will still be closer for me to travel to Buffalo to see a game than it would to see one in Hamilton... people will go wherever there's hockey, Buffalo isn't going to drown if Hamilton joins. This has always been the concern... I think it's ridiculous. Too bad Jim Balsillie is a 1st class jackass or things may have progressed a bit further.

How many Leaf fans agree with me, you'd rather see a team in Hamilton than a 2nd in Toronto? It just makes sense, doesn't it?! Oh well it's only a pipe dream.

If hamilton wants a team they need a suitable stadium/arena.

Markham is much closer to providing that stadium/arena

Plus you basically answered you're question, putting a team in hamilton can potentially hurt buffalo as well.

Gards

Jan 11, 2013
No matter how bad they would get, I could never switch to a different team..even if that other team was in Toronto.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
In fairness this second toronto team would be terrible for it's first few years.

probably talking 4-5 years to hit playoffs, by then I'd imagine the real leafs will actually have a solid team(hopefully, might take 10 more years who knows).

member 147413

Nope, would not switch teams, anyone that would, deserves no respect.

edit: To clarify... Would I support them? Probably, however, I wouldn't buy Jerseys or paraphernalia but depending on ticket prices I'd like to see a game in a new arena. But to suggest changing allegiances truly makes no sense to me, there would be no allegiance to begin with should a change occur.

Vintage Leaf Memories

Jan 7, 2013
While I have no issue with a second team in "Toronto" (I'd prefer Hamilton or Kitchener) I would have zero interest from a rooting perspective. 55 years a Leaf follower, no interest in another team. New York had a history of that in baseball, of course,(three teams in the olden days) and that was great but not the same for Toronto and hockey- for me.

goleafsgo87*

Bring a second team to toronto. It puts pressure on that evil corp known as MLSE.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
And let's be real here, MAJORITY of Toronto sports fans are fairweather fans who are bandwagoners.

Among those who are Leafs fans, a huge chunk are oblivious to hockey or the nitty gritty of the sport in general, and just watch because it's the thing to do here

When I think of Toronto sports fans I think of morons who boo Ottawa and Montreal, but when it's either of those teams in the playoffs, they go to Boston Pizza to cheer them on "because they're Canadian"

Most fans in Toronto are, I think, regionalists. They'll cheer hardest for the Leafs, their favorite players are the ones from Toronto, and the next levy below that is being a fan of Canadian hockey players (and Team Canada / WJC). The allegiance isn't to the franchise, so if another team set up shop here and stacked itself with local players, the switch would indeed be on.
I guess you missed the poll conducted by the SUN a few years ago, which asked, will you cheer for Montreal since they were the last Canadian team involved in the playoffs. 66% of the respondents said NO!:laugh:

But yeah stock another GTA team with local guys and you'd be counting cash all day and night. I believe you could win a Cup with a team stocked with just local guys that are in the NHL.

Last edited:

Morlesio14*

I hate every other canadian team. my second favourite team.......... columbus blue jackets

HF fan*

Fact of the matter is you do not see Leaf flags on cars anymore or kids going to school with Leaf jerseys. Times have changed and Toronto is now a multicultural city. Toronto FC is definitely gaining in popularity and the Leafs need to be worried.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Fact of the matter is you do not see Leaf flags on cars anymore or kids going to school with Leaf jerseys. Times have changed and Toronto is now a multicultural city. Toronto FC is definitely gaining in popularity and the Leafs need to be worried.
Worried about TFC? Do you know where TFC ranks in TV ratings compared to the Leafs, or for that matter the Argos, Jays, and Raptors?

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
If Toronto gets a second team it would be like the Clippers, Islanders, etc. It wouldn't be extremely successful, but there would be a small minority who would support it.

Not worth it. Too many Leafs fans and fans of other teams.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto

:laugh:

Worried about TFC? Laughable.

Toronto is a multicultural city, but there is a very sizable portion of minorities who get very into hockey. If Toronto being multicultural was going to improve any team it would be the Raptors and the Leafs are worth at least double, if not more than the Raptors and heavily outdraw and out-rate them on TV and radio.

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
I'd love a second team in Toronto, that would instantly be a strong #2 team for me. I just wish the Leafs could win a cup before another team inevitably winds up where it belongs.

I would actively cheer against a Hamilton team more than I cheer against the Bills (and I pretty much watch the NFL to watch the bills lose at this point).

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Post is totally off base- who are you to question his or anyone else's allegiance, especially just because they have a bloody flag under their name. Dumb. You are taking it way, way too seriously, and your quoted post is a case in point.

Is it?

This is a town where people listen to hockey radio all day.

And if they aren't doing that, then they are calling into talk radio shows.

And if they aren't doing that they are on internet forums talking hockey.

And it they aren't doing that, they were tweeting about hockey.

So, a fanbase that clearly takes it's hockey seriously is something that is generally accepted, but apparently I take being a Leaf fan too seriously?

:laugh:

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK

Wait until the Leafs are in the playoffs, and we will see how your theory holds.

I remember many people said the exact same thing about the Leafs fan base when the Raptors made the playoffs. How did that pan out?

And I had to laugh at your Toronto FC comment.

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
This is a town where people call in to discuss whether or not Phil Kessel is shooting the puck too much. I'm not too worried about boring, lame sports like basketball or soccer becoming more popular than hockey in the biggest hockey market in the world, especially when both of the hometown teams are even worse than the Leafs.

Fenton

Jul 17, 2005
Toronto
They would be the ugly sister of the Leafs. Like the Islanders & Devils are to the Rangers, the Senators to the Leafs, and the Ducks to the Kings.

Fenton

Jul 17, 2005
Toronto

Last I checked, the Leafs are still pulling in record ratings.
Sorry bud, but your silly soccer game will never be the number one sport in this market. Maybe in Woodbridge.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Only way I'd consider switiching teams is if Hamilton (finally) got a team. Although I'm sure even if the NHL gave us one gift-wrapped, city council would find a way to muck things up.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I'm a Leafs fan, period. No allegiance will be switched.

However, if the new team is based in Mississauga, I'll adopt them as a second (after the Leafs) team since I lived there for a long time. If it is based elsewhere in the GTA, then I'll probably form an instant rivalry with them.

If we're talking Southern Ontario, then I'd actively cheer against a Hamilton team, and I'd adopt a Kitchener-Waterloo team as a very close second team -- I'm a University of Waterloo alumnus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad