If Toews is the top prospect then Jussi Jokinen is the league MVP.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Obviously this thread starter didn't watch Toews--his play in all 3 zones was great..it is thathe makes so few mistakes,he knows were to go and where the puck is going to go--it is his "hockey sense" that is so good--he also did very well in the posession game by retrieving pucks out of the corners and making the pressure attack in the offensive zone continue...they usedhimto kill on thePk--which also uses up energy--as a go to leader I don't expect the Hawks will waste that energy up on the PK--so he'll be fresher to contribute even more offense--futher that puck retrieval game in the corners willbe better in the smaller NHL rinks-he's going to cause a lot of turnoves in the oposition zone because he knows where to anticipate to go and cause the pressure--finally if you saw his quick one timer snap shot for a goal against Russia you know he's going to score lots from the high slot with such a shot..in short--HE IS A COMPLETE HOCKEY PLAYER WITH BOTH THE SKILL AND BRAINS TO PLAY THE GAME HOW IT SHOULD BE PLAYED--forget the shoot-out (though that was impressive)--concentrate on everything else he did with excellence in the tournament...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Judging only by WJC?
Because Backstrom isn't weak, and he plays defense very good. Even at WC.

Judging from the WJCs, and various scouting reports, yes.

Unless you watch the SEL regularly, I'd say that limited action in the World Championships is probably the only additional place that most have seen Backstrom.

Mr.Brownov*

Misleading thread title for the loss? I don't think anyone here is claiming Toews to be MVP because of that shootout. He did have 7 points and it may surprise some of you to know that those weren't from the shootout. If anything, the most spectacular thing about Toews was his 2-way game, not only was he an offensive threat when he was on the ice, he also was responsible defensively, he was playing like a responsible NHL player.

Thank you! Andy saw the same Toews and WJC as I did!

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
Toews is the kind of guy you want on the ice in the last two or three minutes of a tight game. He's solid, and clutch. He may be less flashy in some areas than Staal, but I personally think Pittsburgh made a big mistake not taking Toews.

Chicago fans, get excited, etc.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
While I think Toews is a great prospect, and Chicago fans should be thrilled, I do think he was overhyped by the WJC's and especially that shootout. He was awesome all tournament as a two-way player, but honestly, they talked about him like he was easily the best prospect out there. The TSN guys said he also should've been considered for tournament MVP, and while he had a great tournament, that is just plain dumb. While he did play excellent in both ends, he didn't blow anyone away, and Carey Price was easily the MVP of that tournament. I also wouldn't disagree that maybe Mueller should've taken his spot on the all-tournament team.

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
Toews will never be a flashy, highly skilled player like say Backstrom. However, Toews will be a solid 2-way player that can create offence, while playing against the other teams top-line. He will also kill penalties and be the guy you want on the ice to defend a lead at the end of the game.

Will Toews' 70 points a season with solid 2-way play be more valuable than Backstrom's 100 point seasons with less 2-way hockey? This is sort of like comparing Briere to Brindamour - both or valuable players to their respective teams, but are different players.

johnny canuckistan

Nov 14, 2006
While I think Toews is a great prospect, and Chicago fans should be thrilled, I do think he was overhyped by the WJC's and especially that shootout. He was awesome all tournament as a two-way player, but honestly, they talked about him like he was easily the best prospect out there. The TSN guys said he also should've been considered for tournament MVP, and while he had a great tournament, that is just plain dumb. While he did play excellent in both ends, he didn't blow anyone away, and Carey Price was easily the MVP of that tournament. I also wouldn't disagree that maybe Mueller should've taken his spot on the all-tournament team.

Mueller was very good, so was Price. But in my eyes, Toews was the main reason Canada won the tourney. That spells MVP, in my view. Without Toews in the line-up, Canada wins the bronze at most. Maybe not even.

Boston

Captain Chara
Oct 3, 2005
Toews had a very good tounament, 3 shootout goals or not. I think he should have won the best forward award. This being said, what Backstrom is doing in the SEL is unreal.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Obviously this thread starter didn't watch Toews--...

Obviously you have reading comprehension problems. I watched Toews, I said he was a great prospect (and I would agree that he was Canada's best forward) but --quite simply-- he is not as good as some people (mainly McGuire) are making him out to be. No crititques of his game, just didn't blow me away in this tournament.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Price was the MVP of that tournament easily. Without Price.. you guys don't get past the US in the semi's imo.

Pretty safe to say that Canada doesn't get past the US in the semis without Toews either. Though I do agree Price was the MVP.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
When it comes to prospect, I think Chicago has the best 1-2 Forwards in their system (Toews and Skille, the most misused player at the WJC)

AlMo

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I don't think Toews will be an elite player in the NHL either. He will be a very good one but I don't expect him to be a top line player. I see him bringing a nice package of grit, leadership, defensive play and being capable of scoring 20-25 goals and 75 points. I think he will be a Rod Brind'Amour type player. A guy who will be involved in all key situations and a future captain.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
I don't think Toews will be an elite player in the NHL either. He will be a very good one but I don't expect him to be a top line player. I see him bringing a nice package of grit, leadership, defensive play and being capable of scoring 20-25 goals and 75 points. I think he will be a Rod Brind'Amour type player. A guy who will be involved in all key situations and a future captain.

If he can get 75 points he will be a top line player in Chicago for a long time.

espo*

I don't understand why anyone who was watching Toews play did'nt come away impressed with what he brings to the table.Was he Wayne Gretzky blowing everyone away at the age of 16 spectacular? of course not(how many guys are like that) but he's a very skilled and smart hockey player who is a winner and a leader,he's going to be a fine nhl player.He won't win art ross trophies but precious few do(Backstrom likely won't either) but if you watched his game in the juniors and can't see what it is scouts like about the guy then i wonder how much about the game you really know.The guy has good size,has above average offensive skills and is way above average defensively imo for a player his age.And you can just tell he leads and teammates follow him. he plays the game from end to end and plays it well,he's got great potential.

He was drafted where he was for a good reason and was from top to bottom the best forward i saw at this tournament this year.Some people always amaze me....if they don't see spinning moves and Denis savard stickhandling they can't see why a player is good.

They need the dunk,the 360 tomahawk.

TRVIPERS

Sep 26, 2006
Home of the Jets
I don't understand why anyone who was watching Toews play did'nt come away impressed with what he brings to the table.Was he Wayne Gretzky blowing everyone away at the age of 16 spectacular? of course not(how many guys are like that) but he's a very skilled and smart hockey player who is a winner and a leader,he's going to be a fine nhl player.He won't win art ross trophies but precious few do(Backstrom likely won't either) but if you watched his game in the juniors and can't see what it is scouts like about the guy then i wonder how much about the game you really know.The guy has good size,has above average offensive skills and is way above average defensively imo for a player his age.And you can just tell he leads and teammates follow him. he plays the game from end to end and plays it well,he's got great potential.

He was drafted where he was for a good reason and was from top to bottom the best forward i saw at this tournament this year.Some people always amaze me....if they don't see spinning moves and Denis savard stickhandling they can't see why a player is good.

They need the dunk,the 360 tomahawk.

I totally agree,I think Toews should have been voted top forward also.
He certainly impressed me,I wasnt certain what to expect from him,but man he looked good.

espo*

The best part about his game was how he continued to come through every time Canada needed him to be their best player or at least best forward.

That says something.

AlMo

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
If he can get 75 points he will be a top line player in Chicago for a long time.

I meant a top line player like Crosby or Ovechkin or Kovalchuk, etc. He has the potential to be a number 1 center but I don't know if he can reach elite status as the players mentioned above.

I should have worded what I was saying differently. My mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->