If therrien is fired, what coaches are out there to replace him?

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
It does not matter who is behind the bench unless the talent on the ice gets much better. Quenville would fare no better here with the team we have. We need our GM to upgrade our team before any coaching decision makes any difference.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
After Therrien, simple Carbonneau :sarcasm:

Sigm me up for Laviolette, wasn't it him and the flyers that made boucher and his system look like an idiot

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I'd imagine they'd go with Gallant as the interim. Unfortunately, the French speaking candidate severely limits the candidate pool of who's available.

I guess we'd have no chance as Babcock if he became available.

Being a McGill alumni, I'm pretty sure Babcock would be given a lot of leeway if he wanted to come to Montreal. Good chance he knows some French too.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
He's talking about the ones that do care. The disgusting piece of human garbage ... "things" ... that protested outside the Bell Centre when Cunneyworth was made coach.

Those people probably weren't hockey fans to begin with.

This said, the only thing is the whole "hire French" is that, if ever a French candidate is hired, some will wonder if he's the best candidate.

But those questions will not arise if the candidate isn't French... even if that non-French candidate isn't necessarily the best either.

That is something annoys me. A LOT. Even if I really couldn't care less about the Coach's language - although I see why Molson cares. Like, Dallas Eakins might have been perceived as the best candidate available last summer if he would've been hired here. As we already know, that would've been PLAIN wrong.

I think this partly what explains the whole CUnneyworth debacle as well.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
At least when Cunneyworth was here, DD and Pacioretty were producing :D

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
It does not matter who is behind the bench unless the talent on the ice gets much better. Quenville would fare no better here with the team we have. We need our GM to upgrade our team before any coaching decision makes any difference.

Exactly....a good coach like Quenville might add a few more points over a season but he will not win a cup with this line-up!!!

If they did hire a English coach it will be another circus....sad to say.

I wonder if the French media would allow French interpreter for a English coach ( a good clown) ....maybe get Brian Mulroney or Jean Chrétien to spin stories for the media:sarcasm:

Last edited:

Masuli

May 8, 2013
Turku, Finland

So you think that change of playing style or tactics or line rotations won't make any difference? The coach with a balls to give ice time players that deserve it and not the ones that they wish would produce. For gods sakes I think there's noone in the league that would play our players the way Therrien is.

Domenic

Jan 13, 2007
Calgary, AB
So you think that change of playing style or tactics or line rotations won't make any difference? The coach with a balls to give ice time players that deserve it and not the ones that they wish would produce. For gods sakes I think there's noone in the league that would play our players the way Therrien is.

The only coaches who could make an impact all have other jobs. The Habs on paper are a middle of the road team, and before we can even think of hiring a new coach, the roster needs to GREATLY improve.

Masuli

May 8, 2013
Turku, Finland
The only coaches who could make an impact all have other jobs. The Habs on paper are a middle of the road team, and before we can even think of hiring a new coach, the roster needs to GREATLY improve.

It doesn't matter how good team you got in your hands if you can't coach and manage the team. Look at Philly. They aren't that bad, neither are we but the ppl behind our bench are making it really hard to succeed by decissions they are making on/off rink. Therrien wouldn't win a cup even if he had the best players available.

MTL-rules

Nov 17, 2006
Guy Boucher needed the exprience before coaching the habs, now he has it... He's the future...

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I want to meet these people, if they exist. I want to hear them say they put language over success. I want to see it in person so I can laugh in their faces at their stupidity.

Problem is that a coach isn't a player. There's just NO WAY unless your name is Babcock that you can associate coach AND success right of the get go. Roy = Success. Now...who in here called him an idiot? Who in here said that we might be going for him ONLY because he speaks french? Who here wanted Hitchcock? Can we pull off every coaching thread we ever created when it was time to choose and can we see how in their right mind suggestd Hitchcock? Who talked about Jon Cooper? Yet, the day I have a choice between Francis Bouillon and Shea Weber...well yes....THEN it's obvious. But coach? Sorry, no way to know. So language comes in as an important criteria? The only one? No, cause if it would, Richard Martel would have been a candidate....Pascal Vincent also etc. So language DOES not make an average candidate become a great one. Never did. Out of our last coaches, Julien and Vigneault are still coaching. Therrien had a chance to coach after his first stint with us. Only Carbo didn't. Gainey isn't a coach. Cunneyworth is a scout.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I think anybody would be ready to bypass the french rule if there was a clear english candidate that's clearly the best coach not employed in the NHL. There isn't.

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
Of course it will be Carbonneau!

Why do you think he's hanging around RDS doing his best 'changed man' routine?
He'll be the next available 'local boy comeback' story for the media to eat up.

You can bank on this with Marc 'Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose' Bergevin as GM of this sinking ship.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
If only it made sense. Therrien somehow managed to paint a picasso by chance last year with the same crayolas? Pretty clear he's losing control.

Not too earth shattering based on the fact that coaches have always more success in the first years of their coaching time and then it regresses from then. Only the real great ones don't work in that mode. Though, even the great ones need great team first. Would Quenneville be great if he wasn't in Chicago? Would Babcock be awesome without the infamous Datsyuk-Z-Lidstrom he had in the past and the awesome work by Holland? The incredibly great Scotty Bowman....incredible in Montreal and Detroit. Only 2 years in Pittsburgh, stll won. But then...what did he do with St.Louis and Buffalo? Good regular seasons but then playoffs were pout-pout-pout. As coach, you are as good as your team. Only during the 1st or 2nd year are you able to motivate your players to an extreme limit...see the AVs this year. I still wanted Roy 'cause I wanted to turn thise franchise around. I don't associate Roy with losing, hence I don't want to associate my Habs as loser. Yet....the real moment of truth will be starting year 3 and so on.....

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I've noticed that both the Leafs and the Habs keep harping on and on about character.

Everyone from our coach to Nonis to Loiselle to head scout to scout: Character.

**** character, win more games.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
Laviolette
Boucher
Robinson

Clearly the French mandate isn't working. It's severely hindering us by weakening the talent pool. Get a coach who can win.

Oh yeah, and **** hiring back Martin, those were dark times. Most boring brand of hockey I've ever seen. It would be okay if we were continually finishing in the top 3 in the conference ever year, or winning cups, but we weren't. We didn't go to the conference final in 2010 because of Martin, we got there because of Halak, even the most die hard 12 year old fans will admit to that.

Do you all already forget the countless last minute leads that were blown under Martin because of his "sit back and protect the 1 goal lead for the entire 3rd period" approach? We are supposed to be going through a youth movement right now, do you think playing that BS system is going to develop our offensive youth? No. It was the classic "score 2 goals a game and hope we win 2-1" mindset. Such a disgusting brand of hockey.

Just because it sucks right now, doesn't mean it didn't suck back then. Because it did. A lot. IMO the Gauthier/Martin era was absolute rock bottom.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Laviolette
Boucher
Robinson

Clearly the French mandate isn't working. It's severely hindering us by weakening the talent pool. Get a coach who can win.

Oh yeah, and **** hiring back Martin, those were dark times. Most boring brand of hockey I've ever seen. It would be okay if we were continually finishing in the top 3 in the conference ever year, or winning cups, but we weren't. We didn't go to the conference final in 2010 because of Martin, we got there because of Halak, even the most die hard 12 year old fans will admit to that.

Do you all already forget the countless last minute leads that were blown under Martin because of his "sit back and protect the 1 goal lead for the entire 3rd period" approach? We are supposed to be going through a youth movement right now, do you think playing that BS system is going to develop our offensive youth? No. It was the classic "score 2 goals a game and hope we win 2-1" mindset. Such a disgusting brand of hockey.

Just because it sucks right now, doesn't mean it didn't suck back then. Because it did. A lot. IMO the Gauthier/Martin era was absolute rock bottom.

And Laviolette failed in Philly with a better team.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
And Laviolette failed in Philly with a better team.

More like Holmgren failed to land him a decent goalie when they were at their peak. Anybody in their right mind knew that getting Bryzgalov (especially with that contract) was a horrible idea. By the way, I don't consider losing in the SCF as 'failing'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad