If therrien is fired, what coaches are out there to replace him?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
This.

Boucher would have been a yearly success in Tampa Bay if he would have had a reliably consistent goalie on the team.

Regardless of what I said, Boucher is a decent candidate. Very decent at that.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I'm actually starting to wonder if Geoff Molson purposely put a bunch of inept morons in Bergevin and Therrien in place so they could completely **** up and he could gain public support to abolish the "everyone must be french" rule.

KoZed

Mar 28, 2009
Q
This board is overly hateful and doesn't reflect how things are in the real world. MT won't get fired. Bergevin and him are building this team around the players the team itself will draft. So it's aiming for 2018, not 2014.

So looking at the work MT has done with the kids so far in less than 1 full season, I don't think Bergevin would fire him. And Molson would probably be alright with it, too. The franchise is racking in tons of millions anyway.

Personally, I'd be kinda OK with it. I think it's time to have a bench boss that sticks for the long haul. Getting real tired of the revolving door. Maybe I'm old school, but I think if you want your coach to have authority, you need to keep him in place for 5-6+ yrs and not replace him at the first sign of trouble. Sends the message to players that they can't suck their way out of unpleasant situations.

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
I'm actually starting to wonder if Geoff Molson purposely put a bunch of inept morons in Bergevin and Therrien in place so they could completely **** up and he could gain public support to abolish the "everyone must be french" rule.

If it's his plan, he would be an evil genius.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I honestly never had too many issues with carbo, and his games were always fun to watch but there's a reason why he's not back in the game, because his record was never really that 'bad'.

I bet he would be more disciplined if he ever gets another job again, but it looked like players enjoyed playing for him...he just lost the team outside the rink, lol.

Carbo was very close to Cunneyworth bad, and it says a lot as how much he sucked as a coach. Always blaming his players, terrible plan and always outcoached.

Him having one energy player on each line was a terrible idea, putting Streit on Koivu's wing was out of this imaginary.

moebandit

Jan 19, 2003
Visit site
DALE HUNTER DALE HUNTER DALE HUNTER DALE HUNTER DALE HUNTER

I would hope he could speak French since he played for the Les Nords for so long.

DALE HUNTER DALE HUNTER DALE HUNTER DALE HUNTER DALE HUNTER

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Regardless of what I said, Boucher is a decent candidate. Very decent at that.

"The Bolts rank 24th in goals-against (3.03) and 25th in five-on-five goals-against. That’s not good enough, especially measured up against the fact that they rank 21st in shots allowed. That’s a gap that accurately reflects too many games given away on soft goals."

Sport Illustrated's Allan Muir

djanio

Nov 17, 2013
Hull, QC
I would put a buck on Benoit Groulx from the Gatineau Olypmiques. He's been around for quite some time, has always been recognized as a relentless coach with an impeccable work ethic. He coached the Rochester Americans for some time too, but left because of his wife and kids who still live in Gatineau, this guy would be a huge addition to the organization.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal

He chose the management team we have now because he doesn't want to upset the cash cow. Molson is in the hockey business to make money first, and if he can win and add a bit more to the pile then even better.

Problem is that Montreal is in the unique situation that they're already almost maximizing potential profit. Sure, a few extra playoff games would line Molson's pockets with a little more cash, but he's already making money hand over fist. Whereas most teams in this league have extra monetary incentive to build a contender just so they aren't in the red at the end of the year, Molson just has to go along without rocking the boat. And hiring certain people that will piss off a substantial portion of the fanbase is rocking the boat.

So management is content to go along with their archaic hiring rules because even in a best case scenario, a championship team will what, have a legitimate Cup window for 3-5 years in a 2 decade span?

All that being said, even if I'm not impressed with Bergevin so far he was a legitimate candidate for the position and I have no qualms with the hiring. At least we didn't recycle a previous GM or a former Hab. And I'm sure Bergevin would love to have more freedom with respect to his managerial decisions, but the onus is on Molson to change the team's philosophy.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I'd like to see what Guy Boucher could do with this team. I think he's a great coach and he now has NHL coaching experience so he won't do his rookie mistakes here.

Imho the problem behind the Cunneyworth fiasco isn't solely that he spoke english, its that he was also a no name rookie with little experience, clearly not the best available and horrible results on the ice. That he was unilingual english just made it worst.

I'm sure a well known english speaking coach with personality would be accepted by the french media and fans.

This.

Had Kirk Muller been chosen, there probably wouldn't have been that much problems, if any problems at all.

But he still would've been stuck with a somewhat bad team.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I would put a buck on Benoit Groulx from the Gatineau Olypmiques. He's been around for quite some time, has always been recognized as a relentless coach with an impeccable work ethic. He coached the Rochester Americans for some time too, but left because of his wife and kids who still live in Gatineau, this guy would be a huge addition to the organization.

I'd like him to temper his character a bit...
Besides, Groulx tends to ... like small players a lot.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Michel will get fired next year. He's got enough leeway from last year's performance to get through a .500 record for this year.

I'd hope Boucher gets the nod. He knows what mistakes he made on his first job so he'd make sure to correct those here. He has my vote.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
If MT were fired it's possible one of the assistants Gallant, Daigneault or Jodoin would take over.

They're already behind the bench, and Gallant has NHL head coach experience. I dunno but would he be a likely interim guy?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
If MT were fired it's possible one of the assistants Gallant, Daigneault or Jodoin would take over.

They're already behind the bench, and Gallant has NHL head coach experience. I dunno but would he be a likely interim guy?

Gallant?
Probably.
I don't see him as a guy you want behind the bench if you're looking for the best coach available.

On a side, I think the Habs brass will offer something to Jean-François Houle at some point, probably Hamilton. If that happens, he probably instantly becomes the favorite to take over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad