OT: If there was an XHL, what would be the rules?

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
What are some of the craziest, gimmicky ideas for increasing scoring. I'll start...

4 on 4 (instead of 5 on 5)
All penalties are penalty shot followed by 2 minutes if unsuccessful
Goals are allowed to be kicked in
No goaltender interference outside the goal crease
Icing on penalty kills is not allowed
No shootouts. 3 on 3 OT until somebody dies.
Goals scored in the last minute are worth 2
3 point goals for shots behind the blue line

(Yes, these are really stupid, but c'mon, lean into it!)

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If you juggle the puck on your stick you can’t be touched. You can dunk on the goalie

Fairwhether

Jan 4, 2018
Play doesn't stop when the puck touches the net. Box the ice in better with glass and netting so the puck can't go out of play.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
4v4
Don’t switch sides and the bench is on the far side of the rink (long change)
Blueline becomes thicker and is considered part of the attacking zone
High sticking the puck is allowed
Hand passes are allowed
Offsides always marks a face off in your own end
Trapezoid is gone
If goalie is out of the net he can be hit
Increase the height of the glass

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
I think the No Icing on PK's should be put in the NHL. Its like grounding your kid but still letting them play their PS4 haha. No reason to reward an offending team with being able to ice the puck

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
This one’s a little “out there” that I just thought of, and I don’t think I’d want it in the NHL (but the XHL...) but a player who iced the puck has to skate to the other goal line and start behind the line and can’t move until the faceoff, so it’d be a 5-on-4 for about 5 seconds. He can’t play the puck until he touches up in his own defensive zone (i.e., no immediate/easy breakaway). Juice may not be worth the squeeze, but maybe you could make it so it’s the player that iced the puck plus another player on his team, so it’d be a 5-second 5-on-3.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Grouchy

Nov 2, 2006
Canal Winchester, OH
Overtime is 4 vs 4 but an additional puck is thrown into center ice each minute.
Face-offs can have up to three players from each team in the circle
The team scoring a goal retains possession at center ice (instead of going to face-off i.e. opposite of soccer)
Icing the puck in the last 2 minutes of play = 2 minute minor
Fighting = match penalty for both fighters but fights go 2 minutes or until a K-O then the ref awards a power play to the winner
Roughing = 2 minute penalty or free roughing pass to the other team, their choice
As someone already mentioned; remove the anti Marty Brodeur zones/rules but goalies are fair game outside the blue paint (maybe make two "safe zones" ???)

Insane:
Offensive zone lines are replaced by wires 1 foot off the ice
Face offs replaced by puck-cannons to put puck back in play.
Shootouts are replaced by 7-on-7 overtimes with 30 pucks at center ice and play does not stop until all pucks leave the ice or enter a goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad