If there still is a cup this season

Would you put an astertisk beside this years cup winner if the season/playoffs format is modified?

• Total voters

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Depends on what the modification was. Add an extra round to include all teams with a realistic shot at the playoffs at the time the season was shut down? No. First round (or maybe even two) best of 5 instead of best of 7? No. Best of 3 all the way through? Probably. Less than 16 teams in the playoff? Absolutely.

Reactions: bobholly39

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
If the format remains the same, no. If there's slight changes, probably still no. If there's a complete overhaul of the playoff format, maybe.

So probably not.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Depends on what the modification was. Add an extra round to include all teams with a realistic shot at the playoffs at the time the season was shut down? No. First round (or maybe even two) best of 5 instead of best of 7? No. Best of 3 all the way through? Probably. Less than 16 teams in the playoff? Absolutely.

That's a yes.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

That's a yes.

An extra round would make winning the Cup harder than it currently is. To me, adding an asterisk would be desirable if anything is done that dilutes the championship. Not so much if these extraordinary circumstances force something the other way around, imo.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
An extra round would make winning the Cup harder than it currently is. To me, adding an asterisk would be desirable if anything is done that dilutes the championship. Not so much if these extraordinary circumstances force something the other way around, imo.

If anything is different from the usual agree upon format, then its an asterisk.
The playoffs were never fair, stop trying to make it that way. Shoulda , coulda stories
are for Jack Todd.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Yes. No-fault to the team who wins it. But it won't be the same as an 82 games season immediately followed by 2 months of war.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So long as there are 16 teams in the playoffs (or more) - no asterisk needed. This is true of whether you play 4 best of 7 rounds, or shorter if necessary.

The only need for an asterisk would be if you cut it down to 8, or 4 teams.

I don't mind more than 16 teams. Obviously I assume this wouldn't be more "best of 7" round series - but more some "best of 1", or maybe even "best of 3" for the last few playoff spots in cases where it's close (ie instead of only one of TOR or FLA making 3rd in atlantic - they play an extra "play in" to qualify). There's a lot of ways to do this, i suggested a few in other threads - but all in all, i'd be fine with it, and actually prefer this.

Reactions: LakeLivin

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
The reason I say no is the Cup was originally a Challenge Cup which anyone could win, there were no NHL or Regular season requirements. Whatever happens you can be sure more than 6 teams will compete for it so it surely is as legit as an original 6 Cup.

10 years from now no one is going to be saying "You only won that Cup because of Corona" unless of course it's the Leafs :P

Reactions: Pyrophorus

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
If we were to put an asterisk on this season then there'd need to be an asterisk on like all Cups before the mid 70's when there only around half the amount of teams there are now

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
If a full playoffs is played then no.

Yeah. If they "modify" the regular season or even cancel the rest of it altogether, i wouldn't put an asterisk beside the season. That's not the biggest deal. Even some sort of weird "play-in" tournament or something, i could gloss over.

But if the playoffs themselves are modified...that's where the asterisk would come out for me.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Yeah. If they "modify" the regular season or even cancel the rest of it altogether, i wouldn't put an asterisk beside the season. That's not the biggest deal. Even some sort of weird "play-in" tournament or something, i could gloss over.

But if the playoffs themselves are modified...that's where the asterisk would come out for me.

From 79 to 87 the first round was a best of 5. Do those count?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad