If there is a season... more points to go around?

Discussion in 'Fugu's Business of Hockey Forum' started by Scoogs, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. Scoogs

Scoogs Registered User

If we do in fact play the 04/05 season, there is talk about how it would be too tight for teams to compete to make the playoffs. But I had an idea..

I think this was already talked about just before the lockout began.. But what if they made wins worth 3 points, and ties (if there are any) stay 1 point?

It would really help separate a win from a tie, and even an overtime loss, if they decide to stick with the 1 point for an OT loss.

2. i am dave

i am dave Registered User

The '95 season worked fine. Right now, we are looking at being approximately 3 weeks behind the 1995 schedule. If the season gets extended one or two more weeks into June, is there any reason why, if a deal is struck within this week, a 42 game (+/-) season is unreasonable?

3. Scoogs

Scoogs Registered User

I thought anything above a 30 game sched at this date would be pushing it... You would be playing almost a game a day for that to work. You have to factor in pkayoffs too.

I was thinking about a 28, 26, 24, 22, or 20 game schedule. First round playoffs best of 3, second round best of 5, last two rounds best of 7.

4. i am dave

i am dave Registered User

Not necessarily. For instance, the Mark Madden et al rumor has the regular season starting on 2/14. If we set an "end date" for the Stanley Cup Finals at, for argument's sake, June 30 (I know, it's late, but it could assume 4 rounds with Game 7's), and assume 2 weeks per round, that has the playoffs starting in the vicinity of May 12. Let's then say the regular season ends May 10. From Feb. 14 to May 10, you're looking at 85 days. A 42 game season comes to 1 game every 2.1 days. A 30 game season comes to 1 game every 2.8 days.

It's all speculation.

5. Scoogs

Scoogs Registered User

Its all in the owners hands.... The schedule, I mean. I can't remember where, or if it was legit or not, but I think it was... I read somewhere that the owners are willing to go down to a 20 game season. I think I might have heard it on Leafs TV or the FAN590 in Toronto... :dunno:

6. Nordik_19

Nordik_19 Registered User

Home Page:
    I was also wondering if there is a season what happens with the trade deadline ? Is it the same or is there none :dunno:

7. Scoogs

Scoogs Registered User

They'd probably set a couple weeks to 4 weeks to get everyone set. After 2-4 weeks, is the trade deadline.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.