If there is a season... more points to go around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
If we do in fact play the 04/05 season, there is talk about how it would be too tight for teams to compete to make the playoffs. But I had an idea..

I think this was already talked about just before the lockout began.. But what if they made wins worth 3 points, and ties (if there are any) stay 1 point?

It would really help separate a win from a tie, and even an overtime loss, if they decide to stick with the 1 point for an OT loss.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
The '95 season worked fine. Right now, we are looking at being approximately 3 weeks behind the 1995 schedule. If the season gets extended one or two more weeks into June, is there any reason why, if a deal is struck within this week, a 42 game (+/-) season is unreasonable?

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I thought anything above a 30 game sched at this date would be pushing it... You would be playing almost a game a day for that to work. You have to factor in pkayoffs too.

I was thinking about a 28, 26, 24, 22, or 20 game schedule. First round playoffs best of 3, second round best of 5, last two rounds best of 7.

i am dave

Mar 9, 2004
Corner of 1st & 1st
Scugs said:
I thought anything above a 30 game sched at this date would be pushing it... You would be playing almost a game a day for that to work. You have to factor in pkayoffs too.

I was thinking about a 28, 26, 24, 22, or 20 game schedule. First round playoffs best of 3, second round best of 5, last two rounds best of 7.

Not necessarily. For instance, the Mark Madden et al rumor has the regular season starting on 2/14. If we set an "end date" for the Stanley Cup Finals at, for argument's sake, June 30 (I know, it's late, but it could assume 4 rounds with Game 7's), and assume 2 weeks per round, that has the playoffs starting in the vicinity of May 12. Let's then say the regular season ends May 10. From Feb. 14 to May 10, you're looking at 85 days. A 42 game season comes to 1 game every 2.1 days. A 30 game season comes to 1 game every 2.8 days.

It's all speculation.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Its all in the owners hands.... The schedule, I mean. I can't remember where, or if it was legit or not, but I think it was... I read somewhere that the owners are willing to go down to a 20 game season. I think I might have heard it on Leafs TV or the FAN590 in Toronto... :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->