If the Wings get the #3 Pick

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
I won’t lie having the Svechnikov brothers would be cool.

Just don’t know if it would be affective. I don’t know what to think of our Svechnikov yet.

And if landing at 3OA happened it would be a little irritating. Mostly because it feels like we’re stuck between the elite and the tier below. Barely missing out. At the same time would still be getting a fantastic player.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMule93

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
May the hockey gods sense a vacuum in the brother continuum since the Sedins retired and grant us the 2OA.

Reactions: KJoe88

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
May the hockey gods sense a vacuum in the brother continuum since the Sedins retired and grant us the 2OA.

I was legitimately thinking this. I mean what if they end up like the Sedins? It would wicked cool to see as a Wings fan.

I understand Dahlin is the BPA for us, but I’m excited to say that Svechnikov is an enticing pick when NOT at 1OA. I truly wonder if we try and trade up to get him if we had the 3OA pick. No doubt both Svechnikov’s are hoping to play with each other.

Pretty cool and sad to think I about.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
My question was based on what Red Wings will do, not what most of us will do.

I do think A.Svechnikov's stock has been slightly hurt by his brother's performance. A lot of draft choices are based on pedigree.
I believe Zadina will go second.

Red Wings may trade down two or three spots to pick-up an extra draft pick and still get a needed defenseman rather than take A.Svechnikov.

Was E. Svech ever thought of as highly as A. Svech though?

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
I dunno if it would be in the Wings' best interest to sell that narrative. Evgeni has not really proven he's a sure-fire NHL guy. You make enough of a deal of it, and maybe Andrei will be upset when Evgeni goes back down and potentially never comes back up.

Reactions: ManwithNoIdentity

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
I dunno if it would be in the Wings' best interest to sell that narrative. Evgeni has not really proven he's a sure-fire NHL guy. You make enough of a deal of it, and maybe Andrei will be upset when Evgeni goes back down and potentially never comes back up.
Maybe, but no one knows the future. Maybe they'd be better than the Sedins. half empty/half full

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I would trade down to 4 or 5 and take Boqvist. As much as Detroit could use a top stud winger they need defense badly. If we were to Boqvist and another defensmen with the Vegas first round pick that would be ideal. Then you have Hronek, Boqvist, Chowlski and whoever you take with the Vegas pick. If they all develop we have rebuilt our defense.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Are we sure that the Svechnikov brothers have chemistry or even like playing with one another or are we enamored with having brothers on the same team?

If we take Andrei, I want it to be because he's the best player on the board at the time, not some imagined future Sedin-ness with Evgeny.

E: Now, this being said, if we can get Andrei, I do think he will be the best player on the board when we take him. I'm all on board the little Svech train, but that's because he's looking amazing and nothing but him being a stud has been put out there. I'd probably go

Dahlin
Zadina
Little Svech.

I think any of the three would be an elite piece ofr us.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkutswings

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
If we take Andrei, I want it to be because he's the best player on the board at the time, not some imagined future Sedin-ness with Evgeny.

Exactly this. The brothers angle is asinine. Wins/scoring are a better marketing tool than some garbage PR about 'omgbrothers!', especially when one hasn't even proven he's a regular NHL player.

Though who knows, maybe the Wings should reach out to Staffan Kronwall. Clearly having two brothers play together is a huge deal for some fans, and I'm sure he'd take a FA contract to get out of the KHL.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Exactly this. The brothers angle is asinine. Wins/scoring are a better marketing tool than some garbage PR about 'omgbrothers!', especially when one hasn't even proven he's a regular NHL player.

Though who knows, maybe the Wings should reach out to Staffan Kronwall. Clearly having two brothers play together is a huge deal for some fans, and I'm sure he'd take a FA contract to get out of the KHL.

Does Dan Cleary have a brother? Our player development team could use soem sprucing up. How about a sister? Why stick with sibling, would Dan Cleary's father or mother have any interest? I mean, they're like brothers, but they taught him everything he knows.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Bring back Frank and Pete Mahovlich.

s-l300.jpg

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Are we sure that the Svechnikov brothers have chemistry or even like playing with one another or are we enamored with having brothers on the same team?

If we take Andrei, I want it to be because he's the best player on the board at the time, not some imagined future Sedin-ness with Evgeny..

It's defintely not like they are the Sedins. Svechnikov brothers have been in different leagues from each other for the last 5 years. Maybe they played together some in Russia, but the Sedins were so incredibly rare. Being born on the same day, you can play at every level together.

That said, Andrei is a phenomenal winger prospect. His production at every level has been through the roof. He put up the best PPG ever for a U17 year old in the USHL, then scored goals at a pace this year on par with Stamkos and Tavares in their draft season.

He was the projected #1 guy for this class since he was 15 years old until Dahlin emerged. He is going to be a player.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
You can't compare it to brothers who are twins. Being born on the same day, obviously you are going to play at every level together. Svechnikov brothers have been in different leagues from each other for the last 5 years. Maybe they played together some in Russia, but the Sedins were so incredibly rare.

That said, Andrei is a phenomenal winger prospect. His production at every level has been through the roof. He put up the best PPG ever for a U17 year old in the USHL, then scored goals at a pace this year on par with Stamkos and Tavares in their draft season.

He was the projected #1 guy for this class since he was 15 years old until Dahlin emerged. He is going to be a player.

Don't misunderstand me. I would love little Svech because of how good he's supposed to be. Evgeny has no impact on my decision. If we got him, I'd be ecstatic. Just like Dahlin, just like Zadina.

Unless we fall to 8 and literally every plus player is taken, I think I'll be happy with our draft.

Reactions: mjtm777 and njx9

ManwithNoIdentity

Jun 4, 2016
Kalamazoo, MI
Hughes has Ken Holland written all over it.

It seems like some people want to draft Svech just because we already have his brother and people equate them to the Sedins but them being brothers are where the similarities end

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015

E: Now, this being said, if we can get Andrei, I do think he will be the best player on the board when we take him. I'm all on board the little Svech train, but that's because he's looking amazing and nothing but him being a stud has been put out there. I'd probably go

Dahlin
Zadina
Little Svech.

I think any of the three would be an elite piece ofr us.

For me it has nothing to do with letting brothers play together. All though sounds cool.

I personally believe we need to draft the best player available regardless of position. We need elite talent at any position.

And for me svech is 2nd rather we have his brother or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad