If the top 5 order doesn't change.....

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Lol @ Ottawa fans hoping Couturier gets picked before Landeskog and they end up with Landeskog, he'll go top 3.

2. Colorado: Landeskog (hard-nosed winger over creative centre because they've got Stastny, Duchene, O'Reilly, and Hishon in the system.. plus they pick up captain material with the departure of Foote)

I agree with part of this but in terms of captain material, Stas/O'Reilly especially/Duchene already have it and apparently Hishon is a "character" player too. Avs will probably take Larsson if Edmonton don't because they have defensive woes. This has more to do with bad coaching though, they don't need Larsson as badly if Elliot/Barrie/Gaunce/Chouinard or two of them are good next year. I also think some of the Swedish dmen are slightly overrated. They might go with RNH just because of him having more star potential if the Oilers select Larsson first. I would be happy with any of those three, preferably the two forwards though.

Here's why I think they shouldn't take Larsson. The Avs have the 11th pick, Larsson is a potential top pairing dman. BUT they have a number one dman in Erik Johnson now, Liles is a bit inconsistent defensively but he can play big minutes and Barrie and Elliot especially have top pairing potential. The Avs with the 11th pick might be able to get Siemens or even Murphy if he drops like Fowler did, they can get a top 4 potential dman with the 11th. They need a winger and a dman, go with Landeskog with the 2nd (maybe RNH but they need a winger) and a dman with the 11th.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
1. Edmonton Oilers select:
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

2. Colorado Avalanche select:
Gabriel Landeskog

3. Florida Panthers select:
Adam Larsson

4. Ottawa Senators select:
Ryan Strome

5. New York Islanders select:
Sean Couturier

6. New Jersey Devils select:
Ryan Murphy

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
A little off topic, but does Colorado receive the St. Louis first rounder this year because it's #11 overall? I remember in the deal that St. Louis could elect to keep it if it's a top-10 pick this year. That would change things for Colorado. I'd see them going forward with #2 overall and could get a defenseman at #11 - Hamilton, Siemans, Oleksiak could all be there.

St. Louis still could win the lottery, which would allow them to keep the pick this year.

flamebird

Jul 28, 2007
1. Edmonton: Larsson (Forward prospect pool is massive. Need a top defensive prospect)

2. Colorado: Landeskog (hard-nosed winger over creative centre because they've got Stastny, Duchene, O'Reilly, and Hishon in the system.. plus they pick up captain material with the departure of Foote)

3. Florida: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

4. Islanders: Couturier

5. Ottawa: Strome

6. New Jersey: Murphy (Not really a rebuilding team. I say they take the best skater with one of the highest ceilings in the draft and let him develop for a while)

I'd go with this list, Strome could get swapped for Huberdeau, Strome still fits in that slot though

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
small.png
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
small.png
- Adam Larsson
small.png
- Sean Couturier
small.png
- Gabriel Landeskog
small.png
- Ryan Strome
i could see this and id like this.
I am guessing Florida will take whoever is left over of Larsson, RNH or Landeskog. That being said I would also guess Landeskog might be #1 on their wishlist

i dont know, i think couturier is florida bound.

landeskog could give the isles -no exageration- one of the best offenses given they live up to most of their potential going forward. tavares, grabner, nino, okposo, landeskog, nielsen, moulson, bailey, comeau. hell of a top 9. and on D they will have streit, hamonic, macdonald and de haan. i like that.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
what i expect to see as a best guess at this point:

EDM-Larsson.
COL-Landeskog.
FLA-Nugent-Hopkins.
NYI-Huberdeau.
OTT-Couturier.

what would happen if i were in charge of all teams...

EDM-Couturier.
COL-Landeskog.
FLA-Nugent-Hopkins.
NYI-Larsson.
OTT-Strome.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
EDM- RNH
COL- Larsson
FLA- Couturier
NYI- Strome
OTT- Landeskog

I could potentially see a gentlemen's agreement between OTT and NYI. Ottawa offers either their 2nd Round Pick, or both of the later 2nds, in exchange for NYI not taking Landeskog.

According to some NYI fans, they feel El Nino > Landeskog and would prefer taking a player with a higher ceiling. Strome's slapshot is insane, and could be lethal with Tavares setting him up.

Otherwise, NYI takes Landeskog, and OTT goes with Huberdeau.

marty26

Apr 7, 2011
1. Edmonton: Adam Larsson

2. Colorado: Ryan Nugent Hopkins

3. Florida: Gabriel Landeskog

4. Islanders: Sean Couturier

5. Ottawa: Jonathan Huberdeau

6. New Jersey: Ryan Strome

NJ_CATS_FAN

We Dont Suck Anymore
Mar 21, 2006
N.J.
1. Edmonton: Larsson (Forward prospect pool is massive. Need a top defensive prospect)

3. Florida: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 4. Islanders: Couturier

5. Ottawa: Strome

6. New Jersey: Murphy (Not really a rebuilding team. I say they take the best skater with one of the highest ceilings in the draft and let him develop for a while)

If RNH falls to #3, I will do backflips down the street.

Saabman0508

Harb Quote Count: 9
Aug 15, 2010
Ottawa
The sens had better take Huberdeau if they don't win the lottery. I just see him as being a much better player than strome.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
1. Edmonton - C Ryan Nugent-Hopkins
2. NY Islanders - D Adam Larsson
3. Florida - C Sean Couturier
4. Ottawa - LW Gabriel Landeskog
5. Colorado - LW/C Jonathan Huberdeau

Colorado trades #2 to NY Islanders for #4, #34, and G Evgeni Nabokov.
Colorado trades #4 to Ottawa for #5 and #66.

Edmonton opts for RNH, can focus on adding to the backend with LA's 1st and the 31st pick. Notably somebody like Joe Morrow who grew up near Edmonton; Some scouts have Morrow rated better than Duncan Siemens.

Avs could keep it simple and take Larsson. They are relatively well stocked with RH D with Erik Johnson along with Tyson Barrie and Stefan Elliott turning pro next year. Trading down twice replenishes their 2nd and 3rd rounders that they used in previous trades. They add a temporary starter in Nabokov, along with a fast rising prospect in Huberdeau. Former GM and current Avs President Pierre Lacroix always loved his Quebecois prospects.

Islanders trade a couple expendable assets to add a guy who could easily be #1 on their list. Florida adds perhaps the most NHL prospect of the group in Couturier. Ottawa has plenty of picks and can afford losing a 3rd to get their man.

Avs need defensive Dmen more then anything. Larsson/Johnson pairing would set them for years.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
As a devils fan, I'll throw out the pipe dream

NJ Wins lottery and moves up from 6 to 2.

Edm - RNH
NJ - Larsson
Col - Landeskog
FLA - Courturier
NYI - Hamilton
Ott - Huberdeau
Atl - Strome
Clb - Murphy

Ok, so if the 6% chance dosen't happen, I'd like it to unfold as:

Edm - RNH
Col - Landeskog
NJ - Larsson (trades #6, Alex Vasuynov, and David Clarkson to FLA)
NYI - Hamilton
Ott - Huberdeau
Atl - Strome
Clb - Murphy

Ok, so no trades..

edm - RNH
Col - Larsson
Fla - Courturier
NYI - Landeskog
Ott - Strome
NJ - Huberdeau
Atl - Hamilton
Clb - Murphy

CoolburnIsGone

Some people need to not focus on team needs or current depth so much. Unless a team ranks 2 prospects equally, only then would "need" take precedence over the better quality player. These teams are gonna stick damn close to their lists based on the most talented players and so thats how they'll usually make their pick.

The thing that differs is that not all teams are going to have the lists exactly the same. I'd say lets try to figure out what the top 5 rankings for each of these 5 (or 6) teams regardless of needs/depth.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
Some people need to not focus on team needs or current depth so much. Unless a team ranks 2 prospects equally, only then would "need" take precedence over the better quality player. These teams are gonna stick damn close to their lists based on the most talented players and so thats how they'll usually make their pick.

The thing that differs is that not all teams are going to have the lists exactly the same. I'd say lets try to figure out what the top 5 rankings for each of these 5 (or 6) teams regardless of needs/depth.

Are you trying to rub in the fact that the Sens took Lee over Kopitar because of a need?

fazon

Oct 17, 2010
So are we all in agreement by saying that Huberdeau is better than Strome???

Right now, yes. And I'd say his stock is slightly higher right now, but I'd take Strome for the future.

1. Edmonton - Adam Larsson

2. Colorado - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

3. Florida - Sean Couturier

4. Islanders - Ryan Murphy

5. Ottawa - Gabriel Landeskog

6. New Jersey - Jonathan Huberdeau

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->