If the raptors lose this series, is Toronto officially the most cursed sports town in NA?

Is Toronto the most cursed sports city in North America

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Ok I'll ask, but doesnt TFC's 2017 MLS cup count for something?

Also, Minnesota is way more cursed than T.O.
MLS isn't one of the big 4 sports or else Atlanta wouldn't be that cursed either lol.

Among the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB, Toronto hasn't won anything since 1993 (only 2 titles since 1967), Minnesota hasn't won anything since 1991 (only 2 titles since the Lakers moved to LA), Atlanta since 1995 (which is their only title in city history), and Buffalo since idk forever? Those four along with Cleveland are probably the most tortured imo

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
MLS isn't one of the big 4 sports or else Atlanta wouldn't be that cursed either lol.

Among the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB, Toronto hasn't won anything since 1993 (only 2 titles since 1967), Minnesota hasn't won anything since 1991 (only 2 titles since the Lakers moved to LA), Atlanta since 1995 (which is their only title in city history), and Buffalo since idk forever? Those four along with Cleveland are probably the most tortured imo

One could argue they'd still be cursed, cause 2 championships in 60 years or whatever the timeline is, is not that impressive.

& yea BUF sucks but their hockey team has had some good runs, and their football team didnt cough up a 28-3 lead.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
It is once you're up 3-1 which is a position only one team in history has lost from in the finals. Especially when you're up 3-1 and have have a lead in the closing minutes on your home floor to win the title while the oppositions best player is out. That's about as good a situation as you can ask for.

It's not over yet though so who knows.
You know who the other team was? Golden State. Are they cursed? Also the momentum swing happened because Nurse for no reason called a timeout.

Either way it’s very unlikely they lose this series. GS probably wins tonight and Toronto at home. This team has done very well under pressure. Game 7 against Phili, 2-0 series comeback against Bucks (speaking of choke jobs..) and big underdogs in this series and went up 3-1.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton

NBA they’ve had a team since the mid 90s and Jays has plenty of good runs in the 80s and 90s. I like how you list the NFL since, you know, they don’t have a team :laugh:

Being one win away as an underdog is an accomplishment. They likely close this out on Sunday and then the fun begins

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Buffalo made 4 straight finals and lost all. That has to sucks. I feel bad for them.

Better than Atlanta tho who made two in football, lost both 7 one of the losses was the biggest choke job in history.

Braves did win, but overall went 1-4 w/ one of the best pitching staffs ever + an elite roster.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Better than Atlanta tho who made two in football, lost both 7 one of the losses was the biggest choke job in history.

Braves did win, but overall went 1-4 w/ one of the best pitching staffs ever + an elite roster.
Yeah. I remember those Braves well. They were very good

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
You know who the other team was? Golden State. Are they cursed? Also the momentum swing happened because Nurse for no reason called a timeout.

Either way it’s very unlikely they lose this series. GS probably wins tonight and Toronto at home. This team has done very well under pressure. Game 7 against Phili, 2-0 series comeback against Bucks (speaking of choke jobs..) and big underdogs in this series and went up 3-1.

I'm aware. I didn't say anyone was cursed? I'm saying that the fact the Raptors were underdogs going into the series doesn't mean anything if they get a 3-1 lead.

You don't get any positive marks for going up 3-1 and then blowing it.

You also don't get marks for performing "very well under pressure" if you blow a 3-1 lead in the finals and lose two series deciding games on your home court.

Of course, if they do win the series, then sure they get all that credit. But who were underdogs at the start of the series means nothing at this point. If you get up 3-1, you become the overwhelming favourite.

King Mapes

Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
I'm aware. I didn't say anyone was cursed? I'm saying that the fact the Raptors were underdogs going into the series doesn't mean anything if they get a 3-1 lead.

You don't get any positive marks for going up 3-1 and then blowing it.

You also don't get marks for performing "very well under pressure" if you blow a 3-1 lead in the finals and lose two series deciding games on your home court.

Of course, if they do win the series, then sure they get all that credit. But who were underdogs at the start of the series means nothing at this point. If you get up 3-1, you become the overwhelming favourite.
I was more referring to the premise of the thread. You do but let’s not forget they have won back to back. So whil Raps would be favourites and very likely win, GS has been there done that.

As a side not, Lowry is killing it right now

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
The Blue Jays won a back to back in '92 and '93.

They weren't even in the discussion before tonight.

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
The basic fact that the Blue Jays won back to back in 1992 and 1993 proves Toronto wasn't cursed, throw on a 2019 NBA title and its just laughable to claim Toronto is a cursed sports town. Leafs just have had bad luck, nothing more nothing less. Their time will come eventually.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The basic fact that the Blue Jays won back to back in 1992 and 1993 proves Toronto wasn't cursed, throw on a 2019 NBA title and its just laughable to claim Toronto is a cursed sports town. Leafs just have had bad luck, nothing more nothing less. Their time will come eventually.
Bad luck? No, they just aren't good enough. It hasn't got a damn thing to do with luck.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Yea they're officially off the hook with this awesome title run. Toronto, Cleveland, Washington and Philly all shed their choker label over the last couple years. My new rankings for this list are:
1. Atlanta
2. Buffalo
3. Minnesota

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
The Leafs being such a popular, yet hilariously bad team since the league expanded has definitely given TO sports a bad rep. Pretty much every other Toronto team has won something not all that long ago.

Raptors - 2019 NBA Champions
Marlies - 2018 AHL Champions
TFC - 2017 MLS Champions
Argos - 2017 CFL Champions
Raps 905 - 2017 G-League Champs
Rock - 2011 NLL Champs
Blue Jays - 1993 World Series Champs

So overall, their teams (both big four and non-big four) actually haven't been too atrocious, especially in recent years, it's just the constant failure of the leafs, who happen to be the cities most popular team, that give them a stigma around the sports world for being choke artists. 2004-2014 was a horrible 10-year stretch for TO sports but besides that they've usually been sort of respectable in at least one sport

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad