If the raptors lose this series, is Toronto officially the most cursed sports town in NA?

Is Toronto the most cursed sports city in North America

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
All the momentum on their side with a 6-point lead late in the fourth quarter, 3-1 lead in the series, Kawhi is on fire, crowds going nuts and can smell the trophy and they’re against a battered and bruised Warriors team....and yet they still found a way to lose.

I know this series isn’t over yet but I think the Warriors are the favs to win the series now and if they do that’d be one of the worst chokes ever and it would add to the long list of misery for Toronto sports.

Atlanta is probably the biggest competitor with Cleveland and Washington finally pulling through the last couple years. The raps have never been a lucky team and it showed tonight, then adding along with the failures of the Leafs and Jays, and I think they have a good case.

Last edited:

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
Considering Raptors went in as underdogs, I wouldn't call it THAT big of a choke.

It is once you're up 3-1 which is a position only one team in history has lost from in the finals. Especially when you're up 3-1 and have have a lead in the closing minutes on your home floor to win the title while the oppositions best player is out. That's about as good a situation as you can ask for.

It's not over yet though so who knows.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
San Diego
San Diego barely has any teams left for them to even be called a legit sports town tbh. If a city has at least 2 big four teams and consistently suck and/or choke, then they'd belong on this list.

Atlanta probably still tops the list though. I'd probably go with: 1) Atlanta, 2) Toronto, 3) Cleveland, 4) Buffalo

Last edited:

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Nope, Buffalo.

Bills '90-'94. Music city miracle. Most years in a row without playoffs, finally make it, out in the first round. Back to crap.

Sabres. Brett Hull '99. 200..7? We lost game 7 to Carolina because our entire f***ing D contracted a staph infection. Even still it was, I believe, 3-2, the deciding goal being Rory Fitzpatrick, #8 on the depth chart, losing it in his skates leading to a Carolina clincher. They won the cup.

Darcy Regier lost us everything.

Life is a meaningless abyss of disappointment and regret.

Also it's Buffalo.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Nope, Buffalo.

Bills '90-'94. Music city miracle. Most years in a row without playoffs, finally make it, out in the first round. Back to crap.

Sabres. Brett Hull '99. 200..7? We lost game 7 to Carolina because our entire ****ing D contracted a staph infection. Even still it was, I believe, 3-2, the deciding goal being Rory Fitzpatrick, #8 on the depth chart, losing it in his skates leading to a Carolina clincher. They won the cup.

Also it's Buffalo.

Came here to post this.... its one thing to lose in a championship game, its another to lose FOUR championship games in a row.... (apologies)

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Aside from the Braves lone title (also lost 4/5 championship appearances during the time they won the single banner) I dont know when the last Atlanta sports team championship was. Gotta be 60+ years no?

Jaguar God

Go Bruins!
Jun 19, 2018
Montreal
Buffalo? Cleveland?

Also, someone needs to put @ChrisK97 on suicide watch. Dude takes sports way too seriously and I'm concerned he may harm himself if the Warriors win.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Cursed? I dont think so.

It isn't like they have had a bunch of great teams and have lost in heartbreaking fashion. Even if they lose this, and with KD out I doubt even they can choke it away, it wouldn't be some terrible lose as they are clearly the 2nd best team in the finals.

Even the recent Jays teams were good but far from the top team. The Maple Leafs haven't been a top team for awhile so never really had any unfortunate loses outside of maybe the Gretzky highstick game that they whine about.

For me a cursed city would have to have some really bad beats or teams that should have won and didn't. Cleveland would be the clear example but with LeBron getting the Cavs that title that probably goes away.

Atlanta maybe takes over with the Braves being so futile in winning what 1 when they should have 2-3 at least. The Falcons giving up what should have been an easy win in the SB.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Buffalo? Cleveland?

Also, someone needs to put @ChrisK97 on suicide watch. Dude takes sports way too seriously and I'm concerned he may harm himself if the Warriors win.
I’m more concerned for the Warriors fans. Look at what he did last night;

That’s him in the black

nhlfan79

Feb 3, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Aside from the Braves lone title (also lost 4/5 championship appearances during the time they won the single banner) I dont know when the last Atlanta sports team championship was. Gotta be 60+ years no?

Never, unless you count Atlanta United's MLS championship last year. In 53 seasons, the Falcons have made the Super Bowl twice, once getting blown out in John Elway's final game (after their Walter Payton Man of Year winner, DB Eugene Robinson, was arrested the night before the game for soliciting a prostitute), and once against the Patriots with the most epic collapse in professional sports history.

The Hawks have been in Atlanta since 1968 (before the moon landing!) and STILL have not won a single third-round playoff game. In fact, they've appeared in a Conference Final only once (swept).

The Braves' failures, other than their one title 24 years ago, is well documented.

Two lost NHL franchises, both as a result of broke/corrupt ownership.

I think we have our winner here.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Never, unless you count Atlanta United's MLS championship last year. In 53 seasons, the Falcons have made the Super Bowl twice, once getting blown out in John Elway's final game (after their Walter Payton Man of Year winner, DB Eugene Robinson, was arrested the night before the game for soliciting a prostitute), and once against the Patriots with the most epic collapse in professional sports history.

The Hawks have been in Atlanta since 1968 (before the moon landing!) and STILL have not won a single third-round playoff game. In fact, they've appeared in a Conference Final only once (swept).

The Braves' failures, other than their one title 24 years ago, is well documented.

Two lost NHL franchises, both as a result of broke/corrupt ownership.

I think we have our winner here.

Yea, at least Buffalo made 4 Super Bowls and 2 Stanley Cup Finals, even if they went 0-6

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Nope, Buffalo.

Sabres. Brett Hull '99. 200..7? We lost game 7 to Carolina because our entire ****ing D contracted a staph infection. Even still it was, I believe, 3-2, the deciding goal being Rory Fitzpatrick, #8 on the depth chart, losing it in his skates leading to a Carolina clincher. They won the cup.

Also it's Buffalo.
You can also add Kasparitis' OT goal in 2001 which pretty much sent Hasek out of Buffalo and to Detroit. The recent years haven't been to kind to Buffalo overall as the Sabres haven't made the playoffs since like 2011 (no playoff series won since 2007), while the Bills made it only once since 1999 (and haven't won a playoff game since 1995). Damn, Buffalo really has had it rough. I'd still give it the title to Atlanta though, those folks know how to lose in the most remarkable ways possible.

Reactions: Morozov

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
San Diego barely has any teams left for them to even be called a legit sports town tbh. If a city has at least 2 big four teams and consistently suck and/or choke, then they'd belong on this list.

Atlanta probably still tops the list though. I'd probably go with: 1) Atlanta, 2) Toronto, 3) Cleveland, 4) Buffalo

I'd add Minnesota (MLPS/St. Paul) to that list

Twins won in 87 and 91 and haven't been back since.

Vikings are notorious chokers/underachievers, with soul crushing loses and haven't been to a Super Bowl since 1976.

Timberwolvers are perennial jokes and never been out of the first round.

NorthStars lost a couple Cups in the 80s moved to Dallas and then won one there and the Wild have never really come close since they got a team back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad