If the Pens win the lottery again: Do they pick Kessel or trade the pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
SSJTOM said:
hasn't that already happened?

1-2-1

Fluery
Malkin
Crosby

Traded up for that first 1 thanks anyways though.

On another note, If the pens somehow are in the draft lottery and win it, there is no chance that you cant take the best player available unless you can get maybe Phaneuf for Kessel or even possibly Jack Johnson.

knight44

Jul 31, 2005
Toronto
If the pens would be smart they would draft Kessel, the guy is a amazing player. But if they do trade the pick they should trade down to 3rd or 4th overall and draft Johnson, this kid will be great on the blueline.

Dutchy

Aug 16, 2003
Montréal, Québec, Ca
Since Malkin has yet to prove anything in North America, although I agree with the reports that he's the best player oustide the NHL, I'd draft Kessel.

It's not a knock on Malkin in any way as he's dominating in Russia, but we'll have to wait any see if this translates once he crosses over.

RandomCanuckFan

Jan 23, 2005
LoonieToon said:
Thank you. I would be forever disgusted with the Pens franchise if that were to happen. It is just not legit for any team to draft 2-1-1 in three consecutive years.

Atlanta has done that already ... 1-2-1 with Stefan-Heatley-Kovalchuk ... heck they drafted 1-2-1-2 in four consecutive years with Lehtonen in 2002 ...

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
LoonieToon said:
Thank you. I would be forever disgusted with the Pens franchise if that were to happen. It is just not legit for any team to draft 2-1-1 in three consecutive years.

Putting aside the fact that I don't want the Penguins to win the lottery, I don't see why another top pick would be "illegitmate".

It usually takes a bad team more than just one year to get out of the cellar, so two/three years of lottery contention is expected in most cases. Penguins included.

And it can't be argued that the Pens didn't try to finish respectably, unless you believe that they put themselves $10 million in the red in order to tank again.

So... would another top three pick be embarrassing? From a Pens fan, it would. But, illegitimate? No.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
I am a huge pens fan, had huge expectations going into this season, im guessing from your posts that you are as well a pens fan. Please expalin what you have seen to tell you that the pens will be turning this around anytime soon. If anything ive seen the pens get worse over the last cple weeks. Finding a way to lose is not something new....at this point finishing in the bottom 5 of the league is quite a possibility for the Pens, so taking it personally certainly should not happen.
Haha, actually i'm not a Pens fan... but there's a lot different from the way points are earned. Ties are dead, so a single point is harder to earn (ovetime loss).

Am I saying that the Pens will find a way to finish? not necessarily, but the points can be made up to have them excluded from the bottom 5.

Plus there are quite a few teams vying for that distinction... Washington, Boston, Columbus to name a few... and a lot can happen in the second half.

killerbee

Dec 23, 2005
Skroob said:
If they win the lottery again, im sending a map of Pittsburgh to Al Qaeda

We only won it once, calm down. I don't see you plotting on Washington or FLA

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
I am a huge pens fan, had huge expectations going into this season, im guessing from your posts that you are as well a pens fan. Please expalin what you have seen to tell you that the pens will be turning this around anytime soon. If anything ive seen the pens get worse over the last cple weeks. Finding a way to lose is not something new....at this point finishing in the bottom 5 of the league is quite a possibility for the Pens, so taking it personally certainly should not happen.

The Pens have a quality coach now. Look at what was done in WB. With the talent on the Pens, a little coaching can take them a long way.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pens will finish anywhere from last to 8th from the bottom. I just do not see them climbing any further up from the hole that they have dug for themselves, though I do see improvement. Lets' put it this way, I always saw the team as basically a .500 team, give or take a point or two, who flirted with the playoffs. Now that they have a good coach they could be that team. Where would that put them? Right now they have 23 points in 34 games. They have 48 games remaining in the 82 game season. That means that if they go .500 the rest of the way, they end up with 71 points. I actually doubt that they do that because it will take more adjustment time to get down the new system . . . hell to actually play a system . . . before they start hitting their stride and then winning as many as they lose, but for now let us say that they go .500.

In 2003-4 garnering 71 points would have put the Pens in 7th place in the standings. And remember with the new rule on ties points are much easier to come by, so I would say those same 71 points will have a team finishing bottom five. Actually I find it almost impossible that the Pens finish anywhere else, though I do expect improvement and to emerge from laughing stock status eventually this season.

At least a shot at number 1 is not at all out of the realm of possibility or even probability. In fact it is the most likely scenerio that I can see.

And good for them, and their fans. We wanted much more, both the team and the fans. The Pens did everything they could to turn it around and it did not work. If anyone is accusing them of tanking then you really are stretching. All of us would much rather have seen playoff hockey this year. We did not. So now if it ends up the Pens are bottom five you would take the lottery away from this team and their suffering fans, who payed thousands each for seats by the way to see some pretty bad hockey? Give me a break.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
A couple of thoughts:

1. Pens won't win lottery. Florida will. :)

2. Best player available. Always. Period. If talent is equal, then draft by positional need.

3. Explore trades, as always, but with several impressive high-end offensive guys and a dearth of top-level dmen, is there going to be a big market for the #1 pick? Not sure if the Pens could get the return some might want -- more likely a deal similar to the CBJ-FLA 2002 or FLA-PIT 2003 pick swaps. Hardly a kings ransom.

4. I know this is Hockeys Future, but I can't help but get tired of all the pissing and moaning about (Pittsburgh/Washington/Florida/Columbus/insert bottom feeder) getting high picks constantly. As a fan of one of those teams, I think I speak for all of us when I say we'd much rather have consistent playoff teams than annual top 5 picks.

Any fans of perennial playoff teams want to switch places with, for instance, Columbus, I'd gladly take you up on the offer.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
RandomCanuckFan said:
Atlanta has done that already ... 1-2-1 with Stefan-Heatley-Kovalchuk ... heck they drafted 1-2-1-2 in four consecutive years with Lehtonen in 2002 ...
Weak!
The Nords drafted Sundin, Nolan, and Lindros #1 in three consecutive drafts. This stretch was book-ended by two top 4 picks (Leschyshyn and Warriner).

NANDOAL

Aug 3, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
swinginutter said:
Agreed! I'd puke if the Pens were even in the top ten of picks. Enough is enough already! They've won ten fold in the last four - five years. Hopefully they pick late for a change!

I guess you'll be PUKING than, because there is lilttle chance that the Pens will even be picking out of the Top 5!

justdanickoftime*

pittengineer said:
Potentially the best American, Canadian, and Russian :)

thats a joke if you think malkin is better then ovenhkin

justdanickoftime*

Here is my guess at the top 5

1. st louis
2. florida
3. washington
4. columbus
5. pittsburgh

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
While I always advocate taking the best player available, it might be in Pittsburgh's organizational favor if they did draft in the 5-10 range. A guy like Peter Mueller (who could probably step in after one more year) or Kyle Okposo would give a finesse laden line-up some size and grit along with a lot of skill. Just a thought.

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Erik Johnson would be a wiser choice for Pittsburgh, and at that point I'd consider trading down a spot or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->