If the Pens win a Cup in 2020 - 2029...

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
No...
They haven't even had a dynasty yet, much less the top franchise in history.
Why is the season still so far off...

RizzleMcRib

Cheeseburgers and rocket ships.
Jun 17, 2014
Wherever there are cheeseburgers.
No...
They haven't even had a dynasty yet, much less the top franchise in history.
Why is the season still so far off...

Name 1 team that has won back to back Cups in the cap era ... I'll wait.
3 Cups to be exact (in 4 trips to the finals).
Name 1 team other than Montreal that has won Cups in 3 straight decades post expansion... I'll wait.
Only Montreal has won more Cups than us post expansion. O of which came in the Cap era.

If they won in 2020 - 2029 that would be 4 straight decades. Only Montreal has done that. Again 0 in the cap era.

Last edited:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
If they win in the next few years, then they would have to be in the conversation.

Hell, Bettman called the 2010-2015 Blackhawks a "dynasty", even though they were eliminated in the first round (2011, 2012) during that time.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
If they win in the next few years, then they would have to be in the conversation.

Hell, Bettman called the 2010-2015 Blackhawks a "dynasty", even though they were eliminated in the first round (2011, 2012) during that time.
In my opinion they should already be in that conversation. I may be in the minority, but I think there is a case to be made.

Reactions: BHD

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Name 1 team that has won back to back Cups in the cap era ... I'll wait.
3 Cups to be exact (in 4 trips to the finals).
Name 1 team other than Montreal that has won Cups in 3 straight decades post expansion... I'll wait.
Only Montreal has won more Cups than us post expansion. O of which came in the Cap era.

If they won in 2020 - 2029 that would be 4 straight decades. Only Montreal has done that. Again 0 in the cap era.

Who cares that it's in the cap era? You stated that the Pens would be the top franchise in NHL history. I bold that statement because that's a bold, ignorant statement. NHL history predates the Penguins franchise by 50 years. That's 50 years of history that you're just ignoring? How would their 6 (in your scenario) Cups compete with the 34 of the Canadiens or the other 7 teams that have more Cups overall? Heck, even Chicago has more Cups in their history (13) and the same number of Cups in the cap era (3). So, how would the Pens be considered better than them? Not only that, you even state that Montreal has done all of this before...

It's a ludicrous statement. I'm a Pens fan, but you don't need to prop them up on weird, hypothetical scenarios and then ascertain that they are even better than teams with over double their success and achievements. They're a great team and I'm glad they are the franchise I follow. No, they aren't in contention for the top franchise in NHL history. And another Cup in the next decade won't change that.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
Who cares that it's in the cap era? You stated that the Pens would be the top franchise in NHL history. I bold that statement because that's a bold, ignorant statement. NHL history predates the Penguins franchise by 50 years. That's 50 years of history that you're just ignoring? How would their 6 (in your scenario) Cups compete with the 34 of the Canadiens or the other 7 teams that have more Cups overall? Heck, even Chicago has more Cups in their history (13) and the same number of Cups in the cap era (3). So, how would the Pens be considered better than them? Not only that, you even state that Montreal has done all of this before...

It's a ludicrous statement. I'm a Pens fan, but you don't need to prop them up on weird, hypothetical scenarios and then ascertain that they are even better than teams with over double their success and achievements. They're a great team and I'm glad they are the franchise I follow. No, they aren't in contention for the top franchise in NHL history.
Ok so for you I'll rephrase it "Post Expansion Franchise"
I'm not gonna count a 6 team NHL where you had an almost 20% chance to win the Cup.

So since expansion
Only Montreal has more Cups so I'll give them the nod there...
Edmonton is the only other team with 5.
Montreal won at least 1 in 4 straight decades.
If (like the heading says) wins in the 2020's that will make 4 decades and 6 cups. Putting them ahead of Edmonton.

And yeah, I'll take into account the cap era. Why shouldn't I?
An era where you actually had to build a team compared to buying it. You know an age of this thing called parity...

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
There's some worthwhile discussion to be had here. Be respectful or you won't be allowed to participate.

Reactions: DegenX

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Hard to count anything before '67. Canadiens essentially had the picks of the litter for the 1st half of the leagues history. I would start to count after the draft was implemented, which was mid 60's, and then the 1st expansion was in '67. So that seem like a pretty reasonable time-frame to begin from. I still think anyone using logic has to go with Montreal, unless another team gets to 7 cups first.

Reactions: EightyOne

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
Hard to count anything before '67. Canadiens essentially had the picks of the litter for the 1st half of the leagues history. I would start to count after the draft was implemented, which was mid 60's, and then the 1st expansion was in '67. So that seem like a pretty reasonable time-frame to begin from. I still think anyone using logic has to go with Montreal, unless another team gets to 7 cups first.
Maybe solidify was the wrong word... I was looking for make a serious case for...

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
No, this argument doesn't really make sense to me. Winning a cup in 4 consecutive decades is great because winning cups is great, but that achievement doesn't mean that the team has sustained its success, which is what you'd have to do to be the best franchise in NHL history.

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014
No, this argument doesn't really make sense to me. Winning a cup in 4 consecutive decades is great because winning cups is great, but that achievement doesn't mean that the team has sustained its success, which is what you'd have to do to be the best franchise in NHL history.
How does it not show sustained success?
Cup wins are the ultimate sign of success. There is only 1 team that has won more since 67.

NYI just have their 4 Cups in a row. That's the only argument they have. But haven't won since.
Edmonton 5 Cups all in the span of 7 years. That's not very sustained over a long period of time

RizzleMcRib

Jun 17, 2014

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean, as Rizzle says, we're already in the conversation for post-expansion. I think extending the success another decade only strengthens the case.

Anyway, ask again after we draft our next pair of generational superstars ;)

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
How does it not show sustained success?
Cup wins are the ultimate sign of success. There is only 1 team that has won more since 67.

NYI just have their 4 Cups in a row. That's the only argument they have. But haven't won since.
Edmonton 5 Cups all in the span of 7 years. That's not very sustained over a long period of time

It doesn't show sustained success because even though the Penguins won multiple Cups in multiple decades, they had multiple periods of disappointing and even bad seasons.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
We missed the playoffs 4 times in the last 3 decades. That looks like sustained success to me.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Okay...

We're going to give this another go. If we can't have a civilized discussion, then it'll be closed for good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->