If the Oilers didn't win the 2015 draft lottery, who would have they picked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
If they picked second overall their team would look exactly the same but with Jack Eichel instead of McDavid. Unless for some reason Eichel went 1st overall.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
If they picked second overall their team would look exactly the same but with Jack Eichel instead of McDavid. Unless for some reason Eichel went 1st overall.

they had no chance at 2nd overall...

only 1st, 3rd and 4th (since they finished 3rd last)

they probably take Hanifin...they needed puck-moving D badly

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
they had no chance at 2nd overall...

only 1st, 3rd and 4th (since they finished 3rd last)

they probably take Hanifin...they needed puck-moving D badly

Ah, didnt think of that. Ok so they wouldve picked either Hanifin, Strome or Marner. Only Hanifin wouldve changed the lineup somewhat. RNH would still be the top center in all cases except maybe if Oilers picked Marner.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
Since they came in 29th with McDavid (granted he was injured 30+ games), they well might have come in 30th and have Mathews.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
I guess it depends who won the lottery but regardless of whether they picked third or fourth, I think they take Hanifin. Hanifin was ranked in the next tier of prospects after Eichel along with Strome and Marner. Oilers already had a glut of young forwards and not enough defence so I think they take Hanifin no matter what.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I guess it depends who won the lottery but regardless of whether they picked third or fourth, I think they take Hanifin. Hanifin was ranked in the next tier of prospects after Eichel along with Strome and Marner. Oilers already had a glut of young forwards and not enough defence so I think they take Hanifin no matter what.

I would say it would have been Hannifin as their top choice if he was there when they picked. If not, down to Strome or Marner. Don't think either of Provorov or Wareneski were rated ahead of Strome/Marner.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I think they'd still be a bad team on the ice without McDavid.

Buffalo was the resl loser that day. Eichel is going to be great. It's just McDavid will be better.

Wouldn't you say that Arizona was the real loser? They missed out on both of those players.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Would have had Hanifin instead of McDavid.
Probably no Chiarelli that means would have a real shot at D.Hamilton
Probably no Lucic that means we still would have Hall (captain).

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Maroon-Draisaitl-

Klefbom-Hamilton
Hanifin-xxx

Talbot
Could still be a playoffs team with Drai-RNH down the middle, Hanifin on D and Hall still on the club.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Probably Hanifin, or the super fun wacky scenario where they might have traded down a couple spots if they preferred Provorov.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
They might have Laine or Matthews? Or they would have finished around the same spot anyways and still have Pulju...

If that was the case they might also have one of Hischier or Patrick now lol.

The stats are all there, McDavid is an enormous part of their success.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If Edmonton didn't get McDavid, McLellan wouldn't even be their coach, Chiarelli would've been hired elsewhere, Lucic would've signed elsewhere, Oilers would've probably picked Hanifin, Hall would still be an Oiler, RNH would've been their captain, team wouldn't still be making the playoffs. Lots I could mention. Draisaitl could've been their only star now for all we know.

I'll just pretend that the Leafs picked McDavid.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Without Mcdavid they probably would of Kept Hall and found another way to get a defensemen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad