Olympics: If the NHL says no can they prevent the Russian NHL players from playing in 2014?

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by LeafsNation75, Jan 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75 Registered User

Assuming that Alex Ovechkin and the other Russian NHL players who say they will be playing in 2014 since the Olympics will be in Sochi even if the NHL doesn't want to send their players, can the NHL or even the IIHF prevent them from playing? In 1998, 2002, 2006 and 2010 with the NHL players there it was equal for all countries. However would it be fair that Russia gets the best players from the NHL and other countries don't get NHL players. In my opinion if that happened it would be like the old days going back to the Soviet Union where the Russian's always would dominate all of their games and eventually winning Gold.

2. cska78

cska78 Registered User

Home Page:
    if the NHL won't let the players go to Russia - it will be a dirty political trick - it is possible that if the Russians choose to go over - some other nations may follow...IIHF may then suspend them I guess....two many iffs...

3. Zine

Zine Registered User

The NHL is just blowing smoke. They opened the olympic 'floodgates' and I don't see any going back now.....it means too much to players. Good luck getting non-participation past the NHLPA.

4. finchster

finchster Registered User

I actually e-mailed the IIHF about this once (in a round about way). Any players that leave their team without permission would be suspended by their team, the NHL, risk having their contract voided and their cap hits would not count for that period of time they are away.

The IIHF in my simple correspondence stated they would recognize NHL suspensions for violent conduct, but were very vague on any other situations where they would. My feeling is yes they could go, the IIHF would let them but the question is would these players risk losing their current contract? Ovechkin probably could, I am not sure if Washington would do anything to him. I can imagine that New Jesery might want to have kovalchuk's contract voided :D

5. thomasincanada

thomasincanada Registered User

Agreed, it's just a bargaining chip being used by the NHL. The players will be there.

6. Jolli

Jolli Mikkkkeeee!!1!!11!!!

University
    pretty much this

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.