If the NHL 06' Draft was Today...

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
This is probably what I'd take (in order) as a GM (the top 10 right now) :

21) Ryan White- Montreal
22) Francois Bouchard- Washington
23) Trevor Lewis- Los Angeles

Do you guys see Bouchard and/or Perreault as capable of playing on the 1st or 2nd line in the NHL?

Randall Graves*

Has anyone besides me actually watched Mitera play this year? it looks like a classic case of a defensive defensemen being buried because he's not offensive..the guy is really good defensively, makes good outlet passes, uses his length well and has a mean streak. He's ready to take the next step to the AHL, but as long as he remains a defensive defensemen he will remain underrated until people start watching him play..

Randall Graves*

I haven't had the chance of watching him, yet...

But, I'll put him back in the top 30;) . Why not?!:)
It's still too soon anyways to decide anything for the 2006 Draft, but I'm sold on some (or most?!) of the top 10...

This is probably what I'd take (in order) as a GM..., just my opinion... :
1. Jordan Staal - Pittsburgh
2. Jonathan Toews - Chicago
3. Erik Johnson - St. Louis (could also be #1-2...)
4. Nicklas Backstrom - Washington
5. Phil Kessel - Boston
6. Peter Mueller - Phoenix
7. Kyle Okposo - NYI
8. Leland Irving - Calgary (future #1 goalie)
9. Derrick Brassard - Columbus
10. Claude Giroux- Philadelphia (his agent compared him to Gilmour??)
------------------- --------------- --------------
11. Bryan Little - Atlanta (should be in top 10? maybe...)
12.James Sheppard- Minnesota
13. Patrick Berglund- St. Louis
14. Michael Frolik- Florida (slowly showcasing his talent)
15. Jiri Tlusty- Toronto (could be a good one)
16. Semen Varlamov- Washington
17. Ben Maxwell- Montreal
18. Ryan White - Montreal (value has gone way up from 3rd round + homer pick;))
19. Codey Burki- Colorado
20. Michael Grabner - Vancouver
------------------ ---------------- --------------
21. Riki Helenius - Tampa Bay (could be good goalie one day)
22. Jonathan Bernier - Los Angeles
23. Trevor Lewis- Los Angeles
24. Mark Mitera - Anaheim
25. Jhonas Enroth- Buffalo
26. Cory Emmerton- Detroit
27. David Fischer- Montreal
28. Ty Wishart- San Jose
29. Nick Foligno- Ottawa
30. Artem Anisimov- NYR
30. Matthew Corrente - New Jersey
If you haven't seen him, that's alright it kind of illustrates my point, it's easier to get a handle on guys you've seen play. But I don't see how Mitera falls on so many lists, i've seen him play a half a dozen games this year, and while he's not an offensive dynamo like Jack Johnson and not as skilled, he is better defensively in some aspects of the game such as positional defense, using the boards/glass as a means of taking safe plays and getting the puck out and also makes a pretty darn good outlet pass which is an underrated yet a really important play in hockey. He's also got a really long reach and a good skater for his size, Unlike 2005 I think Anaheim would legitimately stick with the Mitera pick. I would say his upside is like Regehr now that he is showing a really nice meanstreak.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
If you haven't seen him, that's alright it kind of illustrates my point, it's easier to get a handle on guys you've seen play. But I don't see how Mitera falls on so many lists, i've seen him play a half a dozen games this year, and while he's not an offensive dynamo like Jack Johnson and not as skilled, he is better defensively in some aspects of the game such as positional defense, using the boards/glass as a means of taking safe plays and getting the puck out and also makes a pretty darn good outlet pass which is an underrated yet a really important play in hockey. He's also got a really long reach and a good skater for his size, Unlike 2005 I think Anaheim would legitimately stick with the Mitera pick. I would say his upside is like Regehr now that he is showing a really nice meanstreak.

Yeah...I've defintely heard and read about him (when needed can be mean and aggressive, etc...). Bur, I haven't had the chance to watch him, yet. I'm sure I'll get that chance within a year or two...

Upside? : Regehr (according to you, "RallyKiller")
Down side?: a meaner version of Chris Phillips? (I'd have to watch him play a few times though, before making any comparisons!!).

From what I've read I've mistaken him a couple of times for Ty Wishart...!! (almost same height, both are supposed to be solid defensive defensemen...).

Cheers:)

Randall Graves*

Yeah...I've defintely heard and read about him (when needed can be mean and aggressive, etc...). Bur, I haven't had the chance to watch him, yet. I'm sure I'll get that chance within a year or two...

Upside? : Regehr (according to you, "RallyKiller")
Down side?: a meaner version of Chris Phillips? (I'd have to watch him play a few times though, before making any comparisons!!).

From what I've read I've mistaken him a couple of times for Ty Wishart...!! (almost same height, both are supposed to be solid defensive defensemen...).

Cheers:)
His upside just IMO is like a Regehr, a pure shutdown defensemen who makes good outlet passes and will maybe get you 20-30 points a year.

Downside is like a Sean O'Donnell I guess, but he's a better skater.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
If the Ranger passed on Sanguinetti the Flyers would pick him, For those of you who actually watched the draft would remember Bobby Clarke forgetting Giroux's name, that was because the Flyers had already Pencilled in Sanguinetti thinking the Rangers wouldn't select a Dman after taking Marc Staal the year before. (or maybe 2 years)

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
If the Ranger passed on Sanguinetti the Flyers would pick him, For those of you who actually watched the draft would remember Bobby Clarke forgetting Giroux's name, that was because the Flyers had already Pencilled in Sanguinetti thinking the Rangers wouldn't select a Dman after taking Marc Staal the year before. (or maybe 2 years)

Not sure, but...Giroux's value is higher (right now) than Sanguinetti's, no?
Anyways...it's like the stock market...up & down, up & down, etc...!!

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Has anyone besides me actually watched Mitera play this year? it looks like a classic case of a defensive defensemen being buried because he's not offensive..the guy is really good defensively, makes good outlet passes, uses his length well and has a mean streak. He's ready to take the next step to the AHL, but as long as he remains a defensive defensemen he will remain underrated until people start watching him play..

Exactly.

I have seen him play a ton, mostly on tv but a few times in person this year and last. He is going to be a very good 2nd pairing d-man.

But as you said, people don't appreciate that here, seems people here like to gamble on wildcards rather than stick with the steady sure thing players like MM.

ArchieIsGod

Mar 2, 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by justdanickoftime
how in the hell is backstrom 6th??, when he comes to the caps next year, a line with backstrom and ovechkin or semin, might be better then the pens line with crosby and malkin
--------------- ------------------

Don't want to start a war here!!;) :) , but...

I/we all love Crosby and Malkin (how can we/you not?! they're amazing for the NHL, the Pens & Pens' fans...).

But, next year...it could (also) be magic with Ovechkin, Semin, AND Backstrom.
Some have said that Backstrom was ready this year...
You/we never know...it all depends on how mature Backstrom is, will be next year.
I hear/read that he's already very developed and could be very ready next season...
Also, he's compared to Forsberg (or a poor man's version of Forsberg...a Forsberg with a little less grit).
And, Semin sometimes looks/skates/handles the puck like Ovechkin! (sometimes!).

We might have some interesting polls next year!!:
Crosby, Malkin, Staal VS Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom

I'd still predict that the Crosby trio would win in a poll, but the Ovechkin trio could make it very entertaining (it's good for the NHL to have competition for Crosby & Co.), we'll just have to wait and see...

Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom could actually be a line where Crosby, Malkin, Staal will only see time together on the PP

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Perrault would make a great first line set-up man.
Haven't seen much of Bouchard.

Ovechkin and Semin play the same position too.

Kaktus*

Not sure, but...Giroux's value is higher (right now) than Sanguinetti's, no?
Anyways...it's like the stock market...up & down, up & down, etc...!!
I am not sure about that one. Sanguinetti is doing very good this season but we are comparing d-man to RW here.. lol

Whats surprising that some people put Grabner way ahead of Giroux... Is it really the case?

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Ovechkin, Semin, Backstrom could actually be a line where Crosby, Malkin, Staal will only see time together on the PP

Oh, I wasn't really referring to LINES...
It was more about the best 3 forwards of each team (ex: Lecavalier/Richards/St-Louis...Ovechkin/Semin/Zubrus BUT next year maybe remove Zubrus and add Backstrom as 3rd best forward?!...).

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I am not sure about that one. Sanguinetti is doing very good this season but we are comparing d-man to RW here.. lol

Whats surprising that some people put Grabner way ahead of Giroux... Is it really the case?

Yeah...I'm not sure or really aware of Grabner's value. I know his name but I can't say for sure why (some) people have given him more value over Giroux?

And about Sanguinetti and comparing his value to forwards? (lol). I know...I always do that! Like comparing Phaneuf's value to that of (ex:) Kopitar...!! They're both awesome, it just depends what your team would really need? a d-man or a forward?...

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
It's a nice bright spot in an otherwise bleak season that Giroux is averagine about 14-15th in people's lists when taken at 22. Also, Nodl's stock seems to be rising quite a bit, too. I hope all of our prospects continue to develop at a nice pace.

shayne

Feb 27, 2003
ontario
Visit site
Cool, habs get three first rd picks

Here's my 1st round:

1- Jordan Staal - PIT
2- Jonathan Toews - CHI
3- Erik Johnson - STL
4- Peter Mueller - PHO
5- Phil Kessel - BOS
6- Nicklas Backstrom - WSH
7- Kyle Okposo - NYI
8- Bryan Little - ATL
9- James Sheppard - MIN
10- Leland Irving - CGY
11- Derrick Brassard - CLB
12- Michael Frolik - FLA
13- Jonathan Bernier - LAK
14- Francois Bouchard - WSH
15- Ty Wishart - SJ
16- Semen Varlamov - WAS
17- Bob Sangunetti - NYR
18- Ben Maxwell - MTL
19- Claude Giroux - PHI
20- Nigel Williams - COL
21- Ryan White - MTL
22- Nick Foligno - OTT
23- Cory Emmerton - DET
24- David Fischer - MTL
25- Trevor Lewis - LAK
26- Jiri Tlusty - TOR
27- Micheal Grabner - VAN
28- Patrik Berglund - STL
29- Bobby Hughes - CAR
30- Nikolai Kulemin - TOR

no superstars but it appears that the habs had a very good draft.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
This is probably what I'd take (in order) as a GM..., just my opinion... :
1. Jordan Staal - Pittsburgh
2. Jonathan Toews - Chicago
3. Erik Johnson - St. Louis (could also be #1-2...)
4. Nicklas Backstrom - Washington
5. Phil Kessel - Boston
6. Peter Mueller - Phoenix
7. Kyle Okposo - NYI
8. Leland Irving - Calgary
9. Derrick Brassard - Columbus
10. Claude Giroux- Philadelphia
------------------- --------------- --------------
11. Bryan Little - Atlanta (should be in top 10? maybe...)
12.James Sheppard- Minnesota
13. Patrick Berglund- St. Louis
14. Michael Frolik- Florida
15. Jiri Tlusty- Toronto (could be a good one)
16. Semen Varlamov- Washington
17. Ryan White - Montreal
18. Ben Maxwell- Montreal
19. Codey Burki- Colorado
20. Michael Grabner - Vancouver
------------------ ---------------- --------------
21. Riki Helenius - Tampa Bay
22. Jonathan Bernier - Los Angeles
23. Trevor Lewis- Los Angeles
24. Mark Mitera - Anaheim
25. Jhonas Enroth- Buffalo
26. Cory Emmerton- Detroit
27. David Fischer- Montreal
28. Ty Wishart- San Jose
29. Nick Foligno- Ottawa
30. Artem Anisimov- NYR
30. Matthew Corrente - New Jersey

sandbox

Nov 6, 2005
How would things have changed? My prediction of the new top 10 would go as follows:

1) Jordan Staal (2)
2) Erik Johnson (1)
3) Niklas Backstrom (4)
4) Jonathan Toews (3)
5) Phil Kessel (5)
6) Peter Mueller (8)
7) Kyle Okposo (7)
8) James Sheppard (9)
9) Bryan Little (12)
10) Leland Irving (26)

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
How would things have changed? My prediction of the new top 10 would go as follows:

1) Jordan Staal (2)
2) Erik Johnson (1)
3) Niklas Backstrom (4)
4) Jonathan Toews (3)
5) Phil Kessel (5)
6) Peter Mueller (8)
7) Kyle Okposo (7)
8) James Sheppard (9)
9) Bryan Little (12)
10) Leland Irving (26)

Flip Staal/Johnson and Mueller/Okposo around and you've got my list.

bullsville

May 13, 2006
1) Jordan Staal
2) Niklas Backstrom
3) Jonathan Toews
4) Erik Johnson
5)Phil Kessel
6) Kyle Okposo
7) Peter Mueller
8) Bryan Little
9) James Sheppard
10) Leland Irving

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
I don't think Irving would have made the top 10. I believe that he was talen that far for a reason...Which one, I don't know, but he was stellar last year too, at least, statwise. It shouldn't have hurt his draft stock, so he must have some flaws...but he would have been taken top 20.

And I still think that Johnson would be #1.

Johnson
Staal
Toews
Backstrom
Okposo
Kessel
Mueller
Little
Sheppard
Brassard

Ad

Upcoming events