If the Jets continued to play poorly, do you think TN would regret moving the Moose?

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
With the Jets recently playing poorly and tickets not as hot as they were a few years ago, do you think TN could regret bringing back the Moose? I've read posts here about people being unable to sell their tickets below face value, and that's pretty scary.

Now the Moose is a totally different market, but they still overlap a bit. The Moose average 6000 per game. With no Moose, that could be even a few hundred more per game at the NHL game. I mean I'd take my whole family to the Moose, where as if there were no Moose, I'd probably take my son to a Jets game. I'm sure there are many more like that. Not to mention, there could be a time where the Jets are playing terrible and the Moose are playing good, so people may stop coming to the Jets games.

Could the move come back to bite them?
That being said, with reading about people not being able to sell their tickets below face value even, what would happen if this team performed like the Jets of old? Bottom of the league for many years? We'd be in some serious trouble.

kxx

the great southern threadkill
Feb 21, 2015
Winnipeg, MO
People cant sell tickets ? What is below face value in Winnipeg? Guessing still more expensive than comparable or better seats in about 20 other arenas in the league.

Its a different era. I cant imagine people watching moose over jets no matter how bad jets are.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
People cant sell tickets ? What is below face value in Winnipeg? Guessing still more expensive than comparable or better seats in about 20 other arenas in the league.

Its a different era. I cant imagine people watching moose over jets no matter how bad jets are.

That's correct. People can't sell tickets. You should check out the ticket exchange and ticketmaster on game day for a Monday to Thursday. Still, they're all sold and there are very very few empty seats. I only counted two in my section at the leafs game.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
I've had trouble selling on very short notice (less than a day). Tickets are still easy to sell in advance.

There is some overlap between the ticket buyers, but a big chunk of the Moose crowds are young kids, students, large groups etc. There was a huge company christmas party in the bud lounge a few weeks ago. That's not happening at Jets game.

Bringing the team over was a smart thing to do. Establish the brand early with the kids. Satisfy the hockey geeks watching the prospects, and move players when you need to. :yo:

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
All but 1000 seats per game are sold every year before they drop the first puck every october. All of those seats are sold on long term "contracts" Why does the resale market matter?

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I've had trouble selling on very short notice (less than a day). Tickets are still easy to sell in advance.

There is some overlap between the ticket buyers, but a big chunk of the Moose crowds are young kids, students, large groups etc. There was a huge company christmas party in the bud lounge a few weeks ago. That's not happening at Jets game.

Bringing the team over was a smart thing to do. Establish the brand early with the kids. Satisfy the hockey geeks watching the prospects, and move players when you need to. :yo:

Good response. They few times I've had to sell tickets it has been a snap. The Moose fill a niche a lot of which is a result of being the farm team of the NHL team. If the minor league team ever replaces the NHL team in a market I guess nothing more would need to be done to confirm you were never more than a minor league city to start with.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
All but 1000 seats per game are sold every year before they drop the first puck every october. All of those seats are sold on long term "contracts" Why does the resale market matter?

It doesn't matter if you're looking at this single season. Longer term if people who rely on selling a chunk of their games to subsidize their season seat costs can no longer do that. They will stop renewing their seats. And yes there's a long wait list but if demand continues to fall again longer term it could become an issue. So no in the next 3 or 5 years it's no issue. 10 years it could be.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
No matter what the Moose will have top ten attendance records in the AHL. But I also don't see why not keep them, it saves money on travel and they use the development system well. Also people love to watch their prospects, even a way to use family fun and cheap prices to catch the games. Habs fans drool when they can see their prospects, Leafs fans too. But I feel we will like the Moose more because of the void they left for us when the Jets left.

But this is what we'll get instead of WHL. Best idea if anything imo.

Mighty Joe Moon

Jun 5, 2011
Lockport
No. If they own the team, they are going to have to pay out certain salaries and expenses wherever they are. They can draw more people in Winnipeg than anywhere else in NA other than St. John's or perhaps one of the markets that lost the AHL in the move West. But Worcester or Norfolk aren't slam dunks, and they aren't regional. Where else could they reasonably do as well as Winnipeg that is also regional? Saskatoon? Rapid City? Regina? Not bloody likely. Thunder Bay had a chance because they're too isolated from the OHL and WHL, and that arena dream is dead. As long as they own the Moose, that team stays here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad