Sportsnet: If the Flames want to trade for a goalie, who would they target?

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
Division looks pretty bad this year. Flames can let Rittich give it a shot and hopefully Smith sorts it out in the meantime to at least give NHL quality goaltending when he's called upon. While they will still have a shot at the division because everyone else is struggling with something too.

Reactions: CykaBlyat

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Red Wings will give you Howard with 50 percent salary retained for a draft pick.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Better, cheaper alternative: Fire Sigalet and actually hire a professional.

A little too coincidental that as soon as goalies make their way into the organization they dismantle. Look at McDonald, Gillies, Parsons, not to mention the string of NHL goalies that have come in and looked bad. Look at Sigalet's timeline too. It's like as soon as he came on board Calgary's goalie problems began.
Our goalie problems go back way further than Sigalet... basically our only real starter in the last 25 years has been Kipper who probably didn't even listen to the goalie coaches.
But I'm not defending Sigalet, fire his ass for sure.

As for who we should target I say Darcy Kuemper. But as Raanta seems to be made of glass, Kuemper is probably not moving anywhere from Arizona.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
Jimmy Howard for Mike Smith and a 2nd. Both are UFAs at the end of the year and Smith can backup Bernier for the rest of the year.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Bobrovsky and Varlamov at 30 years old seem like the only solutions that could actually properly address the goaltending position for at least a 3-4 year stretch.

As far as I know, there are no Anderson/Gibson, Luongo/Schneider, etc type of situations right now where you could get a ~25-28 year old legit starter.

Calgary could trade for Miller, Howard, etc, but they'll just be right back there shopping for a goalie in a year or two, unless people think Rittich is legit and just needs a good mentor/insulation for a year or so.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
yeah that 3.27 GAA and and .897 save pct make markstrom look soooooo tantalizing, not. Markstrom is one of the biggest headcases in the league, lets in soft goals like kids eat candy. Dont want markstrom, and certainly not giving up a bomb prospect to take your poor goalie either

Yeah, abd playing on the worst defensive tram in the NHL in a couple of decades is of course irrelevant..

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I want them to grab Cory Schneider at a discount considering NJ is very confident in Kinkaid. One I might say would be to grab one of either Dansk or Subban from Vegas. Put them up with Cory Schneider would be the best bet. Varlamov/Grubauer would be one they should look into.

But for now I say they should grab one of Dansk/Subban and Schneider. I'll just say Dansk as I think he'll be a starter one day, it's a tough decision.

Maybe trade Mike Smith and Morgan Klimchuk for both Dansk and Subban, something like that anyway.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Yeah, abd playing on the worst defensive tram in the NHL in a couple of decades is of course irrelevant..

Either way Markstrom does not look "amazing".

The goalie market is such that when a player like Markstrom, without a significant record of success, puts up the kind of numbers that Markstrom is putting up, they become worthless.

The Flames aren't giving up an asset like Kylington for Markstrom.

Reactions: Owen Doty

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Either way Markstrom does not look "amazing".

The goalie market is such that when a player like Markstrom, without a significant record of success, puts up the kind of numbers that Markstrom is putting up, they become worthless.

The Flames aren't giving up an asset like Kylington for Markstrom.

Markstrom has saved Vancouver from being embarrassed in half the games they have played.

Despite his poor stats, he has been great. Not even prime Hasek could get good stats on a team that is very poor with theur best D on the ice, in this case with their best defencemen out due to injuries.

Markstrom would thrive in Calgary and Kylington is being wasted in the AHL.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Markstrom has saved Vancouver from being embarrassed in half the games they have played.

Despite his poor stats, he has been great. Not even prime Hasek could get good stats on a team that is very poor with theur best D on the ice, in this case with their best defencemen out due to injuries.

Markstrom would thrive in Calgary and Kylington is being wasted in the AHL.

Kylington is being developed properly. If the Flames are moving a d-man, it'll be Stone or Brodie.

There are plenty of examples of good goalies putting up decent stats on horrible teams. Markstrom is not the answer for Calgary. He's definitely not bringing you guys back an asset like Kylington, who looks amazing in the AHL right now.

IIxGURUxII

Jul 19, 2018
I hear super goalie Cam Talbot is available... could be had for a 7th.. even rumored fans will drive hom to Calgary on their dime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->