Sportsnet: If the Flames want to trade for a goalie, who would they target?

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Why dont you guys play Rittich instead of Smith. Sounds like an easy solution
Every fan in Calgary has been asking that question for 2 weeks, even the morning radio guys are wondering if Smith has embarrassing photos of Peters or Treliving (or both together) Smith has literally cost this team 4 wins this season.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah, Varlamov is easily the best goalie to likely be available this year. Unless Columbus actually makes Bob available but with the way they're playing I expect they go all in on winning this year.

I think the Flames/Avs could make for decent trade partners as well, especially if we do end up moving on from Zadorov this year.

I would hope we either move Varly for the best futures package(Think he could get a 1st + Prospect) or for a youngish Top 9 winger with some untapped upside.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Better, cheaper alternative: Fire Sigalet and actually hire a professional.

A little too coincidental that as soon as goalies make their way into the organization they dismantle. Look at McDonald, Gillies, Parsons, not to mention the string of NHL goalies that have come in and looked bad. Look at Sigalet's timeline too. It's like as soon as he came on board Calgary's goalie problems began.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Jake Allen might thrive with a change of scenery.
I was actually thinking that. He's mentally shot in St. Louis, the fans by and large hate him [or at best, are growing indifferent]. Cap dollars would be about the same, salary would be a small bump (+1M next season, -250K the year after) but Calgary gets 2 years to see if you can unlock whatever's in Allen's mind that keeps him from being a great goalie.

Smith can come to St. Louis and do whatever. The longer the Blues drift, the less it matters, and there's a better chance Smith gets sent to San Antonio so we can call up Jordan Binnington and see what he can do than there ever is of Allen getting shipped down.

Reactions: simon IC

St Louis515

Nov 18, 2018
If the Flames want to trade for a goalie, who would they target? - Sportsnet.ca

lists pros & cons of trading for: Anderson, Howard, Halak, Schneider, Miller, Lindgren(MTL), Bobrovsky etc...plus the injured/IR potential trade targets.
"JIMMY HOWARD, DETROIT

Like Schneider, Howard’s heyday came a few years ago, but unlike Schneider, he’s having a good start to the season.
Howard’s .922 save percentage in 14 games is one of the better marks in the league and he’s playing behind one of the most porous defence units that allows 35.2 shots against per game. Only twice this season has Howard allowed more than three goals a game and those came in his third and fourth starts of the season.
He makes $5.2 million against the cap, which is a million more than Smith, but is a UFA at season’s end.
“That’s the one guy I looked at,” Friedman said. “If you really go up and down the teams and look at who’s really available and who can be had out there, he’s probably your best option. There has been rumours, and I stress they are rumours, that he was looking at signing a short-term extension with the Red Wings, but that doesn’t necessarily mean anything.” "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...Holland will likely resign Howard, but hopefully he'd get a 2nd/3rd @ the TDL, then resign him, assuming his play was still good. He could be had for a late 1st, or 2nd & 3rd or decent Dman prospect, right now, from a desperate team given the thin market & injuries/underperforming starters etc.

I will drive Jake Allen to Calgary to make sure he makes it there safe. You can just owe us one.

Reactions: Rumpy

Flames67

Jun 8, 2018
Calgary should try to get Anti Niemi from the HABS and they could have 2 good goalies Smith and Niemi playing fifty-fifty. I think Niemi is better then Elliot, Neuvirth, Lyon, Pickard
To Calgary
Anti Niemi
Nikita Scherbak
( 2019 2th round pick )
To Montreal
Juuso Valimaki
Like if you would accept !

...What are you up to you crazy

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Markstrom looks amazing and Vancouver is going nowhere right now.

They also have T.D. ready next season.

Markstrom for Kylington

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
What would Flames fans give up for Varlamov? You can probably negotiate a contract with him as part of the deal because Sakic can't be bothered.

Taytro

Oct 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
Calgary should try to get Anti Niemi from the HABS and they could have 2 good goalies Smith and Niemi playing fifty-fifty. I think Niemi is better then Elliot, Neuvirth, Lyon, Pickard
To Calgary
Anti Niemi
Nikita Scherbak
( 2019 2th round pick )
To Montreal
Juuso Valimaki
Like if you would accept !

Its worth noting that at this time it has absolutely 0 likes. It's going to be Habs or Oilers fans who end up liking this.

What a horrible idea for Calgary. Put the drink down

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Yeah, Varlamov is easily the best goalie to likely be available this year. Unless Columbus actually makes Bob available but with the way they're playing I expect they go all in on winning this year.

I think the Flames/Avs could make for decent trade partners as well, especially if we do end up moving on from Zadorov this year.

I would hope we either move Varly for the best futures package(Think he could get a 1st + Prospect) or for a youngish Top 9 winger with some untapped upside.
No way is Varly getting a first rd pick plus.

Owen Doty

Jan 1, 2018
Markstrom looks amazing and Vancouver is going nowhere right now.

They also have T.D. ready next season.

Markstrom for Kylington
yeah that 3.27 GAA and and .897 save pct make markstrom look soooooo tantalizing, not. Markstrom is one of the biggest headcases in the league, lets in soft goals like kids eat candy. Dont want markstrom, and certainly not giving up a bomb prospect to take your poor goalie either

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Better, cheaper alternative: Fire Sigalet and actually hire a professional.

A little too coincidental that as soon as goalies make their way into the organization they dismantle. Look at McDonald, Gillies, Parsons, not to mention the string of NHL goalies that have come in and looked bad. Look at Sigalet's timeline too. It's like as soon as he came on board Calgary's goalie problems began.

Yes, very bad coaching. Now in November Smith got enough rest between games for a reason, but why play him Sep 24, Sep 27 and Sep 29 with less rest in worthless preseason games. It should be completely opposite. Now it looks like Smith peaked in October. I would love to have a talk with Sigalet. The problem is there are many coaches who don't know about the basics in sport.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad