If the Flames didn't cut St. Louis...

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
How dynamic of a duo do you guys think Jarome Iginla and Martin St. Louis could've been had Calgary not released St. Louis? Both of them are 2 of the most passionate players I've seen, and combined with their talent, the thought of Iggy and Marty on the same line is just flat out scary.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
How dynamic of a duo do you guys think Jarome Iginla and Martin St. Louis could've been had Calgary not released St. Louis? Both of them are 2 of the most passionate players I've seen, and combined with their talent, the thought of Iggy and Marty on the same line is just flat out scary.

Can either of them play left wing as well as they play on the right side?

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
If Calgary didn't cut St. Louis, he never would have got the top 6 ice time he did in Tampa and become the player he is today. St. Louis would probably be in the AHL or Europe.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
What did the Flames fans think of St. Louis at the time? Was anyone out there clamoring to keep him (and are there people now who claimed they saw his potential all along), or did everyone just figure he was another guy who could light up the AHL but would never make it in the big time?

JustinW

Dec 14, 2006

Savard and Iginla would be sick too

TANK200

Nov 13, 2007
If the Flames still had Iginla, they might be good enough to make the playoffs this year.

Jeri

Dec 9, 2009
St. Louis-Savard-Iginla would be one of the craziest lines ever

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
If Calgary didn't cut St. Louis, he never would have got the top 6 ice time he did in Tampa and become the player he is today. St. Louis would probably be in the AHL or Europe.

Bingo. It was like the lament of Habs fans when Leclair became a star in Philadelphia. He was a good player in Montreal, but could have stayed there another ten years and not become the beast he did in Philly. Sometimes the stars just have to line up properly.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
What did the Flames fans think of St. Louis at the time? Was anyone out there clamoring to keep him (and are there people now who claimed they saw his potential all along), or did everyone just figure he was another guy who could light up the AHL but would never make it in the big time?

I think the consensus at the time was that he had a little bit of flair but was too small. A smaller Marty Murray. He showed a little potential and was one of the Flames' best AHLers (the others being the aforementioned Murray, Hnat Domenichelli and Ladislav Kohn), but it didn't translate.

In fact Domenichelli showed more promise at the NHL level, in what little action he saw. Domenichelli looked like he warranted top six minutes on the Flames (oh those were dark days...), whereas St. Louis looked like he was third-line material at best.

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
St. Louis-Savard-Iginla would be one of the craziest lines ever

Ok now you're really creeping me out.

Just like Marleau - Thornton - Heatley.
Imagine how many goals Heatley could score with a playmaker like Thornton!

Iginla and St. Louis play with a lot more determination than Thornton and Heatley, as Thornton is a flop come playoff time while St. Louis and Iginla are great. Unfortunately for Iginla, he ran into St. Louis when he made it to the SCF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad