If the 2-3-2 format was added to SC Finals in 94?

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
In the other major sports(MLB and NBA), their finals are played in a 2-3-2 format instead of the traditional 2-2-1-1-1 format. What if the NHL in the 1993-1994 season along with New Conference made the SC Finals 2-3-2 like other sports would these series have the same victor and series length?:

94 SC Finals Rangers vs Canucks:
Games 3,4,and 5 in Vancouver and Games 6 and 7 in New York

99 SC Finals Stars vs Sabres:
Games 3,4,5 in Buffalo and Games 6 and 7 in Dallas

00 SC Finals Devils vs Stars:
Games 3,4,5 In Dallas anf Games 6 and 7 in New Jersey

01 SC Finals Avalanche vs Devils:
Games 3,4,5 in New Jersey and Games 6 and 7 in Colorado

02 SC Finals Red Wings vs Hurricanes:
Games 3,4,5 in Carolina and Games 6 and In Detroit

03 SC Finals Devils vs Mighty Ducks:
Games 3,4,5 in Anaheim and Games 6 and 7 in New Jersey

04 SC Finals Lightning vs Flames:
Games 3,4,5 in Calgary and Games 6 and 7 in Tampa Bay

06 SC Finals Hurricanes vs Oilers:
Games 3,4,5 in Edmonton and Games 6 and 7 in Carolina

07 SC Finals Ducks vs Seantors:
Games 3,4,5 in Ottawa and Games 6 and 7 in Anaheim

P.S:Basically these are all the Fials fom 94-07 except for the sweeps in the mid to late 90s as this format probably would have changed the outcome.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
the NHL did 2-3-2 in the SCF's in the early 80's, sometime after the '81 realignment. two years I think. Irc, the 3 game homestand in the middle of the series was deemed an unfair advantage.

as you suggest, it could have changed the outcomes. the team without home ice advantage would have had the advantage.

Murphy7

Drop the puck
Jan 25, 2008
Wasn't 1985 the last 2-3-2? Edmonton won a game in Philly, then swept three straight at Northlands to win in 5.

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
The 94 playoffs actually did include the 2-3-2 format.

The road team had the choice and the Canucks used it against Dallas and Toronto. I don't think it was available for the finals though.

Against Dallas, Vancouver won games 1 and 2, lost game 3 and then won 4 and 5 to win it in 5.

Against Toronto, Vancouver lost game 1 and then won Game 2 and the next 3 at home to win it in 5.

Master_Of_Districts

Apr 9, 2007
Black Ruthenia
The 94 playoffs actually did include the 2-3-2 format.

The road team had the choice and the Canucks used it against Dallas and Toronto. I don't think it was available for the finals though.

Against Dallas, Vancouver won games 1 and 2, lost game 3 and then won 4 and 5 to win it in 5.

Against Toronto, Vancouver lost game 1 and then won Game 2 and the next 3 at home to win it in 5.

In 1994 all series' involving a Pacific division team versus a Central division team used this format. It was used for San Jose-Detroit, San Jose-Toronto, Vancouver-Toronto, and Vancouver-Dallas. However, teams were not given a choice between the 2-2-1-1-1 format and the 2-3-2 format. Rather, the home team was allowed to choose between playing games 1,2,6, and 7 at home or 2,3, and 4 at home.

The format was kept around for the 1995 playoffs, although with one important stipulation -- the home team was given a choice between the two formats as well as the choice between playing games 3,4, and 5 at home or games 1,2,6,7 at home. However, none of the teams elected to use the 2-3-2 format, even though it could have been used for St.Louis-Vancouver, Detroit-San Jose, and Chicago-Vancouver. Although the last two series were both sweeps so I'm not positive that it wasn't used (although with Detroit losing 2 out of the middle 3 games in San Jose in 1994 it can be reasonably assumed that they elected to use the traditional format). The fact that none of the home teams elected to use the 2-3-2 format probably relates to the perception that it favored the road team -- 3 of the 4 series that used the format the previous year were won by the road team.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
No it wouldnt have mattered in '94. The Canucks were 1-2 at home in that finals. They were actually 2-2 in MSG. The better team won, clearly. I doubt it would have mattered at all.

estevao

Human Person
Dec 31, 2007
Pullman, WA
Baseball uses 2-3-2 it because it's a day-to-day sport.

Basketball doesn't use it unless there are certain criteria meant (travel distance or something, I'm not sure).

I'd love to see some other advantage applied to series (like no endless overtime, but the higher seed gets an extra point to start out) and a 2-3-2 series (or an even number of games in that case)...but meh.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Baseball uses 2-3-2 it because it's a day-to-day sport.

Basketball doesn't use it unless there are certain criteria meant (travel distance or something, I'm not sure).

I'd love to see some other advantage applied to series (like no endless overtime, but the higher seed gets an extra point to start out) and a 2-3-2 series (or an even number of games in that case)...but meh.

The NBA switches to 2-3-2 for the finals only.

Drewr15

Jun 30, 2005
New Milford, CT
In the other major sports(MLB and NBA), their finals are played in a 2-3-2 format instead of the traditional 2-2-1-1-1 format. What if the NHL in the 1993-1994 season along with New Conference made the SC Finals 2-3-2 like other sports would these series have the same victor and series length?:

00 SC Finals Devils vs Stars:
Games 3,4,5 In Dallas anf Games 6 and 7 in New Jersey

Don't think it would have made a difference here as the Devils won the next 3 games in Dallas, games 3,4 and 6. However, it would have robbed me of the chance to see one of the most tense hockey games I have ever been to in my life, game 5 in NJ, Dallas 1 - 0 triple overtime winner. Even though the Devs lost, that was one of the best games I have ever seen.

John Belushi

Registered Boozer
Feb 5, 2006
North Vancouver
No it wouldnt have mattered in '94. The Canucks were 1-2 at home in that finals. They were actually 2-2 in MSG. The better team won, clearly. I doubt it would have mattered at all.

Not that I disagree with you, but how can you use a meaningless stat like that as your argument? Honestly, I think if it was in the 2-3-2 format the series would be up for grabs. That Vancouver squad should not be underestimated, despite the star power the Rangers had. Bure alone could turn a game around, and the Canucks also had some solid support players in Ronning, Linden, Brown, Lumme, Courtnall and Adams.

albertGQ

Jul 1, 2005
Calgary
I want to see a 2-2-3 format. Now that is home ice advantage and makes the regular season more meaningful

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad