If Taylor Hall would have stayed on the Edmonton Oilers would he have been captain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
When the season ended Halls last year here he said mcdavid was the leader of the team on the ice. Mcdavid would have been named captain and hall would have happily followed him.
Smiling on the outside but dying on the inside, Hall would not have happily followed him at all.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Hall is one hell of a player.

There's too many red flags about his locker room presence, and his known partying ways. It would almost be like Seguin being named Captain.

Not many veterans had glowing things to say indirectly about hall.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hall confirmed a lot of things that I'd heard over the years in that Whitney interview. I think both he and the Oilers benefited from a change in scenery.

Sorry I am an outside fan do you have a link to the interview?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I believe he refused the Captaincy when offered and Ference got it.

I might be wrong, but potentially something happened off-ice that lead him into getting traded. A trade like Larsson for Hall happen urgently like that unless it's personal. Such as Heatley demanding a trade would've landed Ottawa more assets if it weren't for demanding a trade.

scb23

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton
Prior to the arrival of McDavid, I believe the plan was for Hall to be the captain and face of the franchise. As years passed and losses pilled up, I think management started to question Hall's maturity and ability to lead the team out of the darkness. He was a great player with the Oilers, but IMO he doesn't really have the personality of a leader. Maybe that is something that will still come as he matures; I really don't know, but for some reason he was never able to earn the respect of the vets in the Oilers locker room. Maybe that was because the vets were all garbage (many certainly were) or maybe it was just a symptom of constant losing - hard to say.

I recall an interview back in the Eakins era where he was talking about personal goals he had for himself (in the midst of another lost season) - point totals, all star etc... I think that mentality took over as a coping mechanism and resulted in many of his teammates viewing him as a selfish player. Regardless, I don't think he was captain material - I just don't think that is a role he's equipped to excel at. Was the trade a good move? Yes, I think Larsson on the blue line for the Oilers makes more difference that Hall on LW. Did Hall live up to his hype? I would say no, mostly due to injuries and losing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad