If Tampa gets swept, would it be the biggest choke of all time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Brazil getting absolutely destroyed by Germany in 2014.
Houston's playoff loss against the Bills in 1993.
Greg Norman in 1996.
Yankees - 2004.

I doubt it would be the greatest, but it would be among them.

Last edited:

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
The 1971 Bruins losing in the first round to the Canadiens.

Yes, Montreal won the Stanley Cup, but that Bruins team was certainly every bit as good as the 2019 Lightning.

Reactions: Peter Puck

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I'd argue the 58 win, 124 point Red Wings losing in 6 games to the #8 seed Oilers was comparable.
This Columbus team really reminds me of that 06 Oilers team that made it to the finals.

Norris Calibre Dman
Vezina winning goalie.
Tremendous Scoring depth on all lines
Gritty as hell (perfect playoff style hockey)

And a bunch of deadline acquisitions to go all-in..
And will lose a significant chunk of your teams most important players in the summer....

... just like the 06 Oilers.

Reactions: Karlstrobe

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
When Kucherov or Stamkos are struggling --- ESPECIALLY in the playoffs. Tampa bay really has no one to carry there offensive load.

Brayden Point, in the playoffs, needs one of: Kucherov or Stamkos, on his line to create offense.

Do you really think CBJ is scared of Yanni Gourde or Alex Killorn? Lol. Laughable.

In the Playoffs, Stammer/Kucher have time and time again been invinsible. Thus, making Tampa a mediocre team at best.

Kucherov has gone pretty much PPG every playoffs idk what u talking about . He has 59 pats in 62 games at the moment

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
In the NHL it would have to be tops for sure. I can't remember the last time a team dominated like this years TB team has done. Even if they hadn't won as many games as they did I still feel they had one of the very best regular seasons I've ever seen.

Having said that, the series is far from over and one game can easily shift momentum.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
It would be right up there with modern memory chokejobs of the 96 Red Wings and 91 Hawks

People forget about that Hawk failure

91 Hawks went 49-23-8 for 106 pts and captured Presidents trophy then lost in 1st round (Division Semi-Finals) to the North Stars in 6

North Stars went 27-39-14 for 68 pts that year

8LX7psQ

Apr 13, 2010
If the Lightening went up by two or three and then lost 4 in a row , yes. As it stands, no, even if they by some miracle got swept.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
As someone said above, choke is the wrong word. A team that is up in the conference finals or SC finals with home ice and loses out, that’s a choke.

Karma Police

Sep 28, 2017
Caps losing to the Habs in 2010 was more of a choke IMO. Habs had 88 points Caps had 120 and were down 3-1. Way bigger choke job.
Exactly. This was one of the biggest choke in hockey because habs were down 3-1 in the series and faced the capitals which had great offensive players and Mike Green in his prime

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Exactly. This was one of the biggest choke in hockey because habs were down 3-1 in the series and faced the capitals which had great offensive players and Mike Green in his prime

Caps scores 3 goals in the last 3 games combined. I know Halak was other wordly but people really forget how big of a choke that was because the Caps won last year. I can't imagine many bigger chokes in sports, maybe Yankees in 2004, but even then the Red Sox were an equal team to them. Habs literally had 39 wins, 88 points :laugh:

Apr 9, 2009
USA
As someone said above, choke is the wrong word. A team that is up in the conference finals or SC finals with home ice and loses out, that’s a choke.

So if Tampa was losing in the same fashion in a few weeks, then it would be a choke? But because its round 1 vs. a 'worse' opponent, it's not? I'm not seeing the logic here.

I don't think this will be the biggest choke ever. Its definitely not the biggest choke in hockey. The true hockey choke is a Russian super team losing to a bunch of college kids in the Olympics. That is far and away the biggest.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
When Kucherov or Stamkos are struggling --- ESPECIALLY in the playoffs. Tampa bay really has no one to carry there offensive load.

Brayden Point, in the playoffs, needs one of: Kucherov or Stamkos, on his line to create offense.

Do you really think CBJ is scared of Yanni Gourde or Alex Killorn? Lol. Laughable.

In the Playoffs, Stammer/Kucher have time and time again been invinsible. Thus, making Tampa a mediocre team at best.

Any team without there 2 top players is obviously a more mediocre team, tampa has some of the best depth on forward in the league behind them in Point, Cirelli, Gourde, Johnson who had almost 30 goals this year, just to name a couple.

Your post is a joke.

Tampa getting swept would be a disaster. But if I was them I wouldn’t even touch any part of the lineup if it happens. It’s so hard to win a cup. But they have a high end team who will give them a shot every year

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Let’s wait and see. If Tampa comes back, this thread looks bad.

But if they swept left, I’ll lmao. Would also actually give the flames a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->