If Samuelson did not Knee on knee Neely...

J0e Th0rnton*

Sorry, its not a fact. Playoff series last 7 games, not 2.

So what?

Based on what? A silly little internet poll?

The ultimate copout is this petty excuse for the Bruins performance that year.

The series was very young. Who knows what would have happened? Who knows how the Pens would have changed their gameplan? I mean, thats what they did against Washington when they trailed 3-1. They implemented a 1-4 trap that turned the tide. Playoff series are best 4 out of 7. As much as you want to pretend that you know what would have happened, you just don't. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you can accept the fact the Bruins lost.

I'll say it again, because you obviously ignored it before. Its not like the Pens were blown out in games one and two. Hell, game two went into OT. It could have so easily been a 1-1 series going into game three.

I'm not denying the obvious, there is nothing obvious to deny.

I'm accepting the reality that the winners were the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Whoa, so now this is turned into a rambling tirade about Ulf Samuelsson?

Nobody is trying to say Ulf was a saint.

That would have been a great trick, considering Ciccarelli wasn't even playing in the finals. In fact, he had moved on the Washington Capitals.....three years beforehand. Stop making it up as you go along.

What do you want? A violin? Get over it.

Even if they did, its a moot and erroneuos point.

Even if a million people say it, they DO NOT KNOW what would have happened, unless they had time travel ability.
Actually it was fact. As long as Neely was on the ice and healthy, the bruins were winning up till that point.
The silly little internet poll is knowledgable hockey fans giving their opinion on who would have won.

More of the fans agree Boston would have won. You can call it a moot point, but that means you are ignoring the point of this thread. The whole point of this thread is to say "what if". Not try to say "why bother trying to ask what if". If you don't like it the point of the thread, then why bother comeing to it? you knew what this thread would entail from the get go.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Actually it was fact. As long as Neely was on the ice and healthy, the bruins were winning up till that point.

SO WHAT?!

How long is a playoff series? Even if Neely was fit and healthy, there was still a long way to go.

The silly little internet poll is knowledgable hockey fans giving their opinion on who would have won.

Understand the meaning of the words 'fact' and 'opinion'.

More of the fans agree Boston would have won. You can call it a moot point, but that means you are ignoring the point of this thread. The whole point of this thread is to say "what if".

LOL!

You said:
as Long as Neely was on the ice healthy, the bruins were always winning? its historical fact

You're trying clearly trying to pass this this off as an immutable fact, so don't try and seel me this "all this is opinion" crap. Especially after I've just posted a number of times that there is no was anyone can claim fact on such a matter.

J0e Th0rnton*

SO WHAT?!

How long is a playoff series? Even if Neely was fit and healthy, there was still a long way to go.

Understand the meaning of the words 'fact' and 'opinion'.

LOL!

You said:
as Long as Neely was on the ice healthy, the bruins were always winning? its historical fact

You're trying clearly trying to pass this this off as an immutable fact, so don't try and seel me this "all this is opinion" crap. Especially after I've just posted a number of times that there is no was anyone can claim fact on such a matter.

i said "IN THE FIRST 3 GAMES" as long as Neely was on the ice healthy, the bruins were winning, and this is true as true fact can be. It doesn't mean the bruins would have won, it doesn't mean anything other than exactly what it says. Before the knee on knee, while he was playing, the bruins were winning this series.

Neely was healthy for the first 2 games, and Boston won. And he was healthy for the first 8 minutes of game 3, and boston was winning. Ulf Knee on Kneed Neely to take him out for Pittsburgh, Neely goes to the dressing room to assess the damage, and Boom, Lemieux scores and the Pens are tied. Then the pens took over the rest of the game and series.
Almost to the moment Neely was injured.
I didn't say it was fact the bruins would have won. Try reading a little before you blow your top. I said its fact that "As long as Neely was healthy on the ice, the bruins team was currently winning and ahead in the series"
Fact.

Cheliosfan1*

Well, here in detroit, most of my friends have things we agree would have or could have happened. Sometimes we disagree, sometimes we agree. Most of us are hardcore hockey nuts who watch and play, and know our stuff.

In 93, Its possible Toronto would have made the finals if not for Gretzky's whine. Possible, but not likely IMO. They would have been blow out by montreal even if they made it anyways.

In 99, the sabres might have taken it to Dallas for a game 7 if not for them changing the rules last second to allow Hull's goal with his foot in the crease, but it is really up in the air.

But in 91, we all agree pretty unanimously that Neely getting drilled was where the series turned to the pens favor, and if it had not happened, the bruins would have finished the pens off.

You can argue theology of great teams finding a way to win regardless, but its a different story when its a deep team against a one line team like Boston. Despite being a one line team, Boston was taking it to the pens. The pens knew this, and made an effort to ruin the best part of the one line team intentionally.
I say intentionally because watching the series, it was obvious Ulf was out to maim Cam every shift, not play defense against him. They really had no other way to contain Cam legally. Anyone watching the game could see them getting frustrated with their inability to even hinder him. The pens put 2 men on Cam Neely and he still walked through them all.
Until Ulf drilled his knee into Cam's........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->