If Ryan Merkley is Still Around at Pick #33...

Would you take Ryan Merkley at pick #33.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
For me it would depend on who we took at #6. If we have say Bouchard and Hronek as RHD in the system (not to mention Lindstrom and Saarijarvi), I don't see any reason to gamble on Merkley.

Reactions: Larkin1578

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
i would draft him without wasting a thought in that spot - hopefully, if he's availabe the wings are able to get out of their own way

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think this guy has bust written all over him. I’d take him with a third, but not in the first two rounds.

FWIW I think that with 3 picks in that territory you have to take a chance on his talent.

... But I also don't expect Holland to do so, as he's notoriously a character guy.

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
Yes, I would take him with one of our second round picks. Lots of potential.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
No thanks. I a) smell a bust. b) have a strong aversion to turds who take tomahawk swings at other players. I just don't like the half-crazed look in his googly eyes.

Aside from that, I think he's the kind of one-dimensional player that should be taken when the defense is better fortified.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The first pick I would consider for Merkley is 36, and that's only if I'm very very happy with at least one defenseman and one center I've taken prior to that pick.

But in all likelihood, there's just too many other players that I like too much. I'd rather avoid Merkley's shenanigans altogether, especially after how AA has been due to work ethic.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
We get Bouchard/Hughes at 6 and get Dellandrea..would love to get Merkley and Foudy in the 2nd...I’m running the streets naked

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If we get Bouchard, there's no need a skilled righty like Merkley. We have Hronek coming and can concentrate on another draft position. If we get Hughes, the handnesses will fit, but there's absolutely no sense for another midget like Merkley. Enough midgets.

Merkley is on the plans at 30-33-36 range, if Red Wings draft a forward 6th overall and not any right-handed skill D.

Reactions: Marky9er

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
Wouldn't draft him.

At all.
Sounds dumb, but ok.

Even with his lapses in effort, you cannot tell me you’d actually take your average 7th rounder over him. Even if it’s short, Ryan is next to a lock to at least see some NHL icetime, something well over 60% of draftees won’t sniff.

The first pick I would consider for Merkley is 36, and that's only if I'm very very happy with at least one defenseman and one center I've taken prior to that pick.

But in all likelihood, there's just too many other players that I like too much. I'd rather avoid Merkley's shenanigans altogether, especially after how AA has been due to work ethic.

Despite AA’s work ethic, he still has contributed more to the Wings than 100 Zach “high compete level” Nastasuik picks ever will. The biggest factor to a prospect having a career in the NHL is talent level and athletisism. Anyone who tells you otherwise is mistaken.

Last edited:
Reactions: L13
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad