If Roy does it all in Montreal would he be considered even "greater" ?

Blizzard

Feb 22, 2010
Hypothetically, if Roy spends his whole career in Montreal, wins the Habs two more Cups not to mention the three Smythe's, puts up the same career numbers, along with his style and ability that has changed the way the position is played. Would he be mentioned among the Orr, Lemieux, Gretzky, and Howe level?

Badger36

Jan 4, 2010
Columbus, OH
I dont think that staying in Montreal would add to Roy's greatness. IMO, the fact that he pretty much got booed out of town and then came back to greatness with a different team means more than if he had stayed with the Habs for his entire career.

Blizzard

Feb 22, 2010
I dont think that staying in Montreal would add to Roy's greatness. IMO, the fact that he pretty much got booed out of town and then came back to greatness with a different team means more than if he had stayed with the Habs for his entire career.

My point is more if he accomplishes the same thing in a monster hockey market like Montreal for his entire career instead of a big part of it in Denver would he be spoke of differently?

Blizzard

Feb 22, 2010
He'd be a God in Quebec. But outside of Quebec, if anything, he'd be less praised.

Leads to the sick thought of Quebec staying put and him, somehow, finding his way there and doing it. Think the Montreal fans would have cared? Would take the cake for rivalries.

Trade would have never happened between the two but would have loved to watch the fallout from it.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
He would be the popular leader of a fascist government in the new "nation" of Quebec. The goal of the new country would be to win Olympic gold next Olympics, and bring NHL Teams to Quebec, Trois Rivieres and Gatineau.

There would be monuments all of Quebec to his "best friends" his Forum Goal Posts. And his co-deputy leaders would be his old goal posts, no one else could be trusted.

Val'Dor would be renamed Roy'Dor. His goalie fights would be in the background in the video played at the start of each TV broadcast day with the new Quebec National Anthem titled. "Je me souviens, Patrick!"

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Hypothetically if he did in Montreal from 1995-'03 the EXACT same thing he did in Colorado I think he'd be even more elevated. Staying with one team never hurts your legacy.

However, let's not forget the mess that Montreal was at that time. There is no way that a goalie could win in that environment and Roy's heart didn't seem to be there anymore. Their GM was Rejean Houle. Their coach was Mario Tremblay. Neither stayed there very long and neither has been hired by another team since. I'll let you marinate on that one. There was the Leclair trade, bad drafting (Jason Ward, Eric Chouinard), there was the Turgeon for Corson trade. The Habs looked middle of the pack in 1995-'96 but things just got worse and they have never been the same franchise since Roy left. Had he stayed there, I don't think he wins another Cup. Too much of a circus during those years.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Hypothetically if he did in Montreal from 1995-'03 the EXACT same thing he did in Colorado I think he'd be even more elevated. Staying with one team never hurts your legacy.

However, let's not forget the mess that Montreal was at that time. There is no way that a goalie could win in that environment and Roy's heart didn't seem to be there anymore. Their GM was Rejean Houle. Their coach was Mario Tremblay. Neither stayed there very long and neither has been hired by another team since. I'll let you marinate on that one. There was the Leclair trade, bad drafting (Jason Ward, Eric Chouinard), there was the Turgeon for Corson trade. The Habs looked middle of the pack in 1995-'96 but things just got worse and they have never been the same franchise since Roy left. Had he stayed there, I don't think he wins another Cup. Too much of a circus during those years.

patrick on the late 90s habs (and turgeon): "you'll never win when your captain has balls the size of snow peas."

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site

Agreed but the LeClair/Desjardins/Dionne for Recchi and a 3rd trade was Savard, not Houle.
You didn't actually say it but it was inferred ;)

Oh and to who said Roy would be a God in Quebec if he stayed....he already was and is a God there.
Who ever wasn't a Hab fan in Quebec was a Nords fan and then an Av's fan anyway, even more so after Roy was traded there.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Hypothetically, if Roy spends his whole career in Montreal, wins the Habs two more Cups not to mention the three Smythe's, puts up the same career numbers, along with his style and ability that has changed the way the position is played. Would he be mentioned among the Orr, Lemieux, Gretzky, and Howe level?

He'd be MUCH MORE highly considered, and with reason...

'cause that means he would have won two more Cups with really, really average teams.

And the 2000-01 one was really, really awful (28-40-8-6), with Oleg Petrov leading the team in scoring - which would be something okay if it was an expansion team, but... le Canadien de Montréal? Not so much. This was the year were we found our 1st line RW : Chad Kilger. The Habs winning the Cup would have been even more impressive than Hasek winning the Cup in the Sabres (let alone get in the SC Finals). If Roy wins two Cups with Montreal in 95 and 01, there's absolutely no reason for Roy to be out of the Top-10, and he suddenly becomes a candidate for the Top-5.

If Montreal is an equal team to Colorado... Not really, and be even ranked lower. That's how things are.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
patrick on the late 90s habs (and turgeon): "you'll never win when your captain has balls the size of snow peas."

You know I never understood that when Keane got traded and the Habs picked a captain why they opted for Turgeon over Damphousse or Recchi. I mean, the latter two had won a Cup and Damphousse actually led the Habs in scoring in 1993 when they won. Turgeon had barely been with a team (3 months) and he never showed any signs of being a captain in my mind. Damphousse always seemed to have at least the competitiveness and tanacity to win. Does anyone remember that controversial decision? Not that giving Turgeon away for Shayne Corson was smart, but Turgeon still was no captain.

JaymzB

Apr 8, 2003
Toronto
Ronald Corey cared much more about the image of the team than decisions that made sense for on-ice results. As much as Reggie Houle is blamed for the demise of the Habs, Corey is much more responsible.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
You know I never understood that when Keane got traded and the Habs picked a captain why they opted for Turgeon over Damphousse or Recchi. I mean, the latter two had won a Cup and Damphousse actually led the Habs in scoring in 1993 when they won. Turgeon had barely been with a team (3 months) and he never showed any signs of being a captain in my mind. Damphousse always seemed to have at least the competitiveness and tanacity to win. Does anyone remember that controversial decision? Not that giving Turgeon away for Shayne Corson was smart, but Turgeon still was no captain.

I think they thought Turgeon would be that big French Canadian Star. The next Guy Lafleur.

Derick*

He would be the popular leader of a fascist government in the new "nation" of Quebec. The goal of the new country would be to win Olympic gold next Olympics, and bring NHL Teams to Quebec, Trois Rivieres and Gatineau.

There would be monuments all of Quebec to his "best friends" his Forum Goal Posts. And his co-deputy leaders would be his old goal posts, no one else could be trusted.

Val'Dor would be renamed Roy'Dor. His goalie fights would be in the background in the video played at the start of each TV broadcast day with the new Quebec National Anthem titled. "Je me souviens, Patrick!"

:biglaugh:

I lol'd loud irl.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Isn't that pretty much the reason behind 90% of Habs roster moves since Lafleur left?

Eehhhhh...

- Savard? That's one. Sad that he lost a step.
- Turgeon? No matter what we say about Turgeon, it's safe to say that he did much better than what Muller did in NYI. So, Montreal wins that trade. Turgeon wasn't really a super star, but I think they got rid of him WAY too soon.
- Tanguay? Nobody thought he'd be anything else than a good first liner -- which he was.
- Damphousse? It actually worked really well - being the scoring leader (reg. season and playoffs) of the last cup winning team. Sad that we could turn him into Marcel Hossa and Marc-André Thinel, though.

In the end, the best québecois involved in a move with the Habs in the last 20 or so years was probably Eric Desjardins (if you consider what he did afterwards) -- and he was the one who got sent away.

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Eehhhhh...

That's borderline trolling.

It's called a joke. The anger about the Wickenheiser draft pick over Denis Savard and later getting Savard on the downside of his career, the attempts to get Lemieux, talk about trading for Lecavalier. Really, just joking about the moves Montreal didn't make but the fans wish they had made.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It's called a joke. The anger about the Wickenheiser draft pick over Denis Savard and later getting Savard on the downside of his career, the attempts to get Lemieux, talk about trading for Lecavalier. Really, just joking about the moves Montreal didn't make but the fans wish they had made.

Actually, any GM who COULD get Lemieux SHOULD have done anything to get him...

Blizzard

Feb 22, 2010
Actually, any GM who COULD get Lemieux SHOULD have done anything to get him...

I would have personally burnt down the Civic Arena if that happened after all the years of pathetic excuses for hockey teams we went through in Pittsburgh.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Oh and to who said Roy would be a God in Quebec if he stayed....he already was and is a God there.
Who ever wasn't a Hab fan in Quebec was a Nords fan and then an Av's fan anyway, even more so after Roy was traded there.

He was a hockey hero. If he had carried two more Habs teams to the promised land, he would have been on par with the Rocket. THAT is godhood.

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
I think it would make lots of 'he is a product of the system' posts pop up. See Brodeur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad