Speculation: If Quebec never relocated, could Patrick Roy be a Red Wing

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Hahaa, funny and crazy speculation.

Just want to take a hit on our history. Does anyone remember, was there any rumors that Detroit would have been the destination for Patrick Roy?

Was there any speculations? Did the Avalanche just outbid with their offer? The trade seemed to pretty poor for Canadiens.

Four days after the incident, the Canadiens traded Roy and captain Mike Keane to the Colorado Avalanche in exchange for Jocelyn Thibault, Martin Ručinský and Andrei Kovalenko. The return for Roy was seen as uneven at the time it was made, and eventually became known as one of the most one-sided deals in NHL history. Canadiens General Manager Réjean Houle at the time had been GM for only 40 days and faced criticism for making the trade instead of trying to resolve the tension between Roy and Tremblay.[21]

So we could have offered easily Osgood (promising young goaltender) + 2 wingers to match the offer.

Was there some GM-connection between the Avs and Canadiens, like Tallon did some favors for Stan Bowman lately etc.?

If there was no competition, like Quebec still being at Quebec and Montreal definitely not trading him inside the Division, I think Roy could have been a Red Wing. The most promising powerhouse from the West would have been the most probable destination. I think Montreal priority 1 was to trade him to West.

Just, on those days, I remember every player was offered to Detroit, like Hasek did finally come. Like Murphy did come.

Why not Roy ?

I haven't really watched those days as a Finn, because I got internet not until 1998, and all those rumor things will start after that.

Does someone remember the case?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Thankfully he never was. There's a short list of NHL players who I wouldn't take for free, regardless of their immense talent, and Roy is on that list.

I respect the heck out of his ability, but even the possibility of him wearing the winged wheel sends shivers up my spine. He can go in the Claude Lemieux / Chris Pronger / Brian Marchment category. Sure, they could help a team, but you couldn't pay me to take them.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Thankfully he never was. There's a short list of NHL players who I wouldn't take for free, regardless of their immense talent, and Roy is on that list.

I respect the heck out of his ability, but even the possibility of him wearing the winged wheel sends shivers up my spine. He can go in the Claude Lemieux / Chris Pronger / Brian Marchment category. Sure, they could help a team, but you couldn't pay me to take them.

Afterwards you feel like that, because he was the main enemy.

But if he would have been a Red Wing, he would have been your lovely starting goaltender legend with 1-2 more Cups at 96-03.

On that different dimenion, our biggest rival series would have happened with Roy against Ed Belfour and the Stars at 98,99,00 and against Brodeur in the Finals, more than once (-95).

Maybe Hasek goes to Colorado at -01 and becomes that hated pain-in-the-ass opposite goaltender. :D

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Afterwards you feel like that, because he was the main enemy.

But if he would have been a Red Wing, he would have been your lovely starting goaltender legend with 1-2 more Cups at 96-03.
It may appear that way, but honestly, there are players whose personalities/actions bother me so much that I really wouldn't want them, even if it meant passing up another Cup.

There have even been Red Wing players that I couldn't wait until they were off the team. I hated the Tootoo signing the moment it happened, and Maltby annoyed me on a regular basis - way too much chirping, and he would take a shot at a guy after the whistle in a heartbeat, but would cry to the refs if anybody sneezed on him.

I don't require a roster full of angels, but certain guys just bug me, and I don't want them here.

Reactions: Oddbob and Henkka

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
IMO, had the Wings seriously pursued acquiring Roy, he still probably would've ended up with the Avs. They had amassed so many current and future assets from the Lindros trade (which helped them down the road get guys like Fleury, Bourque, Blake etc.), that they could've gone toe to toe in a bidding war and drive up the cost until the Red Wings were looking at dumping a good chunk of their future or an elite player in the deal.

It's still crazy to me how #88 in Nordiques guise isn't hanging from the rafters at the Pepsi Center...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->