OT: If Philadelphia Had No Sports Teams, Who Would You Root For?

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
I had a bunch of Flyers hockey cards as a kid, because they had just won their second Cup and there were a bunch of them in the packs. Rick MacLeish had the same first name as me, so I liked that. Bobby Clarke was obviously cool as ****. I loved the sweaters, logo and colors, from the first moment I saw them. And I had a Bobby Clarke stick, which I used for hours and hours in the driveway every day roller skating and firing oil-soaked tennis balls into my net and around my net to destroy the garage door, which pisses my dad off to this day.
When I moved as a kid our old neighbor gave us these (small) boxes absolutely loaded with cards...hockey, basketball, football and baseball. Granted they're all 20+ years old now, and I haven't taken them out of the closet in at least 10 years, but there's definitely a few thousand there, at least. Nothing worth anything though.

Also, your name isn't Dave? Mind = blown

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
When I moved as a kid our old neighbor gave us these (small) boxes absolutely loaded with cards...hockey, basketball, football and baseball. Granted they're all 20+ years old now, and I haven't taken them out of the closet in at least 10 years, but there's definitely a few thousand there, at least. Nothing worth anything though.

Also, your name isn't Dave? Mind = blown

Yeah, it's just my nom de plume for shtick, because my namesake's name is Dave. I answer to "Dave" on here, though, like Brandon Manning to very high-pitched whistles. Because why not.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Really way too hard because I have such hate for certain teams because of the Philly connection. If all the teams folded I'd probably be leaning towards a team with players I liked on the East Coast. I like Vegas, the Browns, and White Sox as distant second teams I follow but I'd probably stick closer to home if it was my primary team.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Foosball-Bucs..their my team any way
Baseball-White Sox
Basketball-T'wolves..my #2 team behind home town Sixers
Hockey- That is a tough one, probably vegas cause i love Vegas

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Well, I became a fan when I was younger because of Lindros. So my guess is if Lindros wouldn't have been traded to the Flyers, he would have originally wound up with the Rangers. So I guess I would have been a Rangers fan instead.

At least I would have seen my team win a Cup?

Reactions: Colin226

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Well, I became a fan when I was younger because of Lindros. So my guess is if Lindros wouldn't have been traded to the Flyers, he would have originally wound up with the Rangers. So I guess I would have been a Rangers fan instead.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Pantokrator

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa

Since Lindros never won the Cup, it's unlikely the Rangers would've either. They would have had to gut the team to acquire Lindros, never having the necessary pieces to get Messier and etc. later for that Cup run. Instead, the Avalanche still win the Cup though, and potentially whichever other team was seriously in the running for Lindros but missed out.

Rangers = poop

On Topic-
NFL: Bills (became a football fan during their run of 4 SB losses)
NBA: pass (maybe Pistons)
MLB: hard pass
NHL: Flames or whichever team returns to Quebec City

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
Packers - Huge Favre fan in my yute
Pistons - Hate Bball but liked how the Larry Brown coached teams played
Avs - Forsberg was my favorite non Flyer player
A's - Rickey Henderson

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Packers - Huge Favre fan in my yute
Pistons - Hate Bball but liked how the Larry Brown coached teams played
Avs - Forsberg was my favorite non Flyer player
A's - Rickey Henderson

Henderson was probably my second-favorite player for a while, after Fred Lynn, until Griffey Junior came around. Then Smoltz and Glavine and Maddux and Avery, I loved that staff. Detroit's middle infield of Whitaker and Trammell. Mike Greenwell and Ellis Burks and Oil Can Boyd. I forgot what I was going to say, so I just started listing guys I liked lol.

Reactions: Peter Man

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
So I got a buddy who's always telling me that if Philly didn't have any sports teams, he would be a straight 4 for 4 Boston fan. This, of course, repulses me.

However, it does bring up an interesting topic. Namely, if Philly had no sports teams, who would you root for? Would you go by individual teams, or be like my friend who identifies with an entire town?

For me, I wouldn't be for an entire town as I am not that way already despite being born and raised in South Philly.

What say you?

Did the teams never exist? or did they just disband?

Oskar Man

Social Assassin
Nov 30, 2010
Henderson was probably my second-favorite player for a while, after Fred Lynn, until Griffey Junior came around. Then Smoltz and Glavine and Maddux and Avery, I loved that staff. Detroit's middle infield of Whitaker and Trammell. Mike Greenwell and Ellis Burks and Oil Can Boyd. I forgot what I was going to say, so I just started listing guys I liked lol.

I loved watching Maddux pitch. That two seamer he'd throw to lefties was one of the filthiest pitches ever.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Well, i grew up rooting passively rooting for the Sabres because of Hasek, and the Bills because of the Sabres.

So i'd probably be a Sabres and Bills fan.

Because of the 90s, i'd probably be a Yankees and Bulls fan.

BUT, nowadays?

NHL: Golden Knights (where i live) or Predators
NFL: Chiefs
MLB: Angels
NBA: Don't care, so you guys can pick for me.

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
I'd probably have been a Stars fan like my brother was or a Sabres fan like everyone else in the area. I'd also still be gingerly following the Bills and not caring about the other sports.

VoiceOfTheFlyers

Sep 28, 2017
Well, i grew up rooting passively rooting for the Sabres because of Hasek, and the Bills because of the Sabres.

So i'd probably be a Sabres and Bills fan.

Because of the 90s, i'd probably be a Yankees and Bulls fan.

BUT, nowadays?

NHL: Golden Knights (where i live) or Predators
NFL: Chiefs
MLB: Angels
NBA: Don't care, so you guys can pick for me.
Hasek was amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad