OT: If Philadelphia Had No Sports Teams, Who Would You Root For?

VoiceOfTheFlyers

Sep 28, 2017
So I got a buddy who's always telling me that if Philly didn't have any sports teams, he would be a straight 4 for 4 Boston fan. This, of course, repulses me.

However, it does bring up an interesting topic. Namely, if Philly had no sports teams, who would you root for? Would you go by individual teams, or be like my friend who identifies with an entire town?

For me, I wouldn't be for an entire town as I am not that way already despite being born and raised in South Philly.

What say you?

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
NHL: Ducks; they're curently my WC team
MLB: Indians; they already are my main team
NFL: Chiefs; they're currently my AFC team
NBA: Hornets

Last edited:

NicolasAubeKubel

Mar 3, 2018
Tampa forsure. Fun team to watch, interesting/outside he box coach, small fast creative players.

Were even more exciting with Drouin, but much better now

VoiceOfTheFlyers

Sep 28, 2017
Hard for me to choose which hockey team I'd follow just because I love the Flyers so much, but upon careful consideration, I'd probably follow Nashville.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Predators and or Kings. As a goalie, I always appreciated how Nashville built their teams.
Kings cause, well, I'm here in Cali for a little longer.

Don't watch enough baseball to care, likewise basketball.

Football is a tough one. As a kid, I remember liking Jacksonville in their inaugural season and a few after that. I don't feel a strong tie one way or another to any other teams though.

Domino666

“20 years away”
Aug 18, 2011
The Preds, I lived in Nashville for a bit, baseball I’m a Red Sox fan, basketball Seattle Supersonics foooo shooo, and football ehh Da Bears

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
my favorite player of all time was joe sakic so id definitely be an avs fan for hockey.

Football would have been denver as well, since i was a huge fan of elway and davis tandem

Baseball (i know im gonna hear shit for this one) would have been the mariners or reds because ken griffey jr was my favorite baseball player.

Basketball id be a bulls fan because of jordan.

And soccer is trash so i wouldnt root for it anyways ;)
Wow looking at shit ive named i grew up in an amazing time when it came to sports ( i grew up with lemuiex and gretzky as well but loved joe sakic's game)

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's easy for the out of owners that never lived in Philly. Besides the Flyers, no other team affiliation in Philly.

NFL: Bears
MLB: Expos....now Jays
NBA: Heat with expansion. Was a Syracuse Orangmen fan with Seikaly and Douglas and they went to Heat. Now, Raptors once they got a team.

Hmm...Flyers, Bears, Expos, Syracuse....maybe I have a thing for the color orange and don't know it.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Flames, Falcons, and Braves. Was a big Hank Aaron and Darrell Evans fan.

I was a huge fan of that Braves pitching staff in the 90s and started to love them. Which was painful more often than not, ****ing Kirby Puckett. I have always liked the Red Sox and Tigers equally, and I like the Cubs and kind of like the Indians - basically all the long-time losers. I love the sport of baseball more than any individual team.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Why the Flyers @Tripod? That’s the question that always interests me from guys and gals who have no Philly connection. And you’re no casual fan either.

I had a bunch of Flyers hockey cards as a kid, because they had just won their second Cup and there were a bunch of them in the packs. Rick MacLeish had the same first name as me, so I liked that. Bobby Clarke was obviously cool as ****. I loved the sweaters, logo and colors, from the first moment I saw them. And I had a Bobby Clarke stick, which I used for hours and hours in the driveway every day roller skating and firing oil-soaked tennis balls into my net and around my net to destroy the garage door, which pisses my dad off to this day.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
(Setting aside the possibility that I'd adopt teams from places other members of my family live in) I would have been a Whalers fan, as they were my second favorite team anyway, and then furious when they left Hartford. Don't quite know where I'd have gone from there, probably the Maple Leafs, since I'm a sucker for the royal blue and white look (Related: I expect I'd have been a KC Royals and Indianapolis Colts fan.) If no Sixers, I probably wouldn't have picked up basketball at all.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
I probably wouldn't be as "die-hard" of a fan if the Philly teams didn't exist, for any sport. Growing up here I never "chose" any of my teams per se, I was born into it. Which honestly makes things so easy.

I struggle to find a Premier League team to become a big fan of, mainly because I can't decide. I've never had to choose before :laugh: but also I just can't feel the same as I do about teams here.

But for this thread, for football I'd probably be a Packers fan. I've always had a small soft spot for them and I really have no idea why. That's the only team out of any sport I can say with somewhat confidence, but for hockey I'd probably be a Stars fan, mainly for Mike Modano. Them, or the Avs/Sens.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Why the Flyers @Tripod? That’s the question that always interests me from guys and gals who have no Philly connection. And you’re no casual fan either.
I was born in 72. Dad was a Habs fan so I do have early picture of me at age 5-6 in a Habs jersey skating. Back then, hockey was only on once a week....good ol Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday. And they really ONLY showed the Habs and Leafs( who were hated of course in my house)

I would have been age 10/11 and was watching HNIC and the Habs were playing the Flyers. And low and behold my eyes....a hard working team with skill....wearing long Cooperall!!! Back then, all the kids wanted to wear it but it was too expensive but everyone wanted to have it. Seeing the Flyers colours with it and the way they played, I loved it. I remember telling my dad they were my new favorited team. He wasn't happy...lol. He even said "you will never get to watch them on tv though". But my mind was made up.

Flyers fan since.

Long f***ing Cooperall.

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad