If Pens win cup is Murray a HHOF lock?

Is Matt Murray an automatic HHOF lock if Pens 3 peat?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
I think he needs some more individual accolades. He's tied with Robin Lehner for 11th-best save percentage over the last 3 seasons. (100 GP minimum)

Throw in a Vezina or two and get to 400+ wins and he has his lock.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Chris Osgood will never be a HHOF'er. The way we value goalies is significantly different than 25 years ago.

3 straight cups gets Phil Kessel and Kris Letang in that conversation. Murray would still need regular season/individual success, the bar would just be significantly lower. A couple top-3 Vezina finishes and he'd be in.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
not even close. lock means can play 0 games from this day forward and be in the HOF.

3 years of winning the Cup with zero individual awards (no Vezina, no Smythe, no post season all stars) =/= a hall of famer.

if it did Claude Lemieux would be in there

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pens fan saying no.

Maybe my standard for the HoF is higher than what the actual voting committee's is, but I think a player needs individual accolades that "prove" he was one of the top players at his position at some point during his career to be inducted.

I'm tired of the HoF being for "the Hall of very good".

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
Depends of the rest of his career. One thing will be sure tho, Sid and Geno will be recognized as top-20 players of all-time.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
The phrase 'automatic lock' would imply that he could retire afterwards and be guaranteed acceptance based on his current body of work... that should be an obvious no to anyone with a pulse.

He's certainly had an exceptional start for a soon to be 24 year old, but he needs to meet other basic criteria before any sort of guarantee comes into play.

Last edited:

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Eli manning is a hall of fame lock since he has 2 titles.
Murray would be one if he wins a vezina which he's capable of

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I hope he doesn't forget to thank Fleury for his second Cup, during his speech.
Because if not MAF, Pittsburgh don't win the Cup last year.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
No.

Yes if he plays a full career with 0 more accolades. So if he never wins a Vezina or another cup but plays as a solid goalie for 10 or so more years - Yes maybe. But he needs that longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->