If Pens move West,What West team moves East?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
SillyRabbit said:
I think an easy one would be...

Buffalo to the Atlantic
Detriot to the Northeast
Pens new city to the Central.

That's ridiculous. Have you looked at a map lately?

If any team is moving from NE to ATL, it's the Bruins, since they have the closest proximity to the three NYC teams.

Likewise, the Sabres stay in the NE because of the geography and historic rivalry with the Leafs. Buffalo and Toronto are only 90 mi apart - how can you break those up into 2 different divisions?

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
MayDay said:

If any team is moving from NE to ATL, it's the Bruins, since they have the closest proximity to the three NYC teams.

Likewise, the Sabres stay in the NE because of the geography and historic rivalry with the Leafs. Buffalo and Toronto are only 90 mi apart - how can you break those up into 2 different divisions?

Actually I looked at This map while posting.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
MayDay said:

What about the rivalry between the Bruins and Montreal? It's bigger than Boston/NY Rangers.

Like I said before, the team that would switch with Pittsburgh is Columbus. It's not even 3 hours away from Pittsburgh, and Columbus was going to move to the East anyways after 2003 before the NHL changed their minds and kept Toronto in the east.

Last edited:

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
MayDay said:

In case you didn't see my 50 other posts on this subject, the Bruins will never move out of the Northeast. None of the Atlantic teams sell tickets in Boston besides Philly, and Bruins-Habs and Bruins-Leafs are their two biggest rivalries. Nobody is moving from the Northeast to the Atlantic. If the Atlantic needs to add a team, it'll be Washington, they're closer to the other Atlantic division teams than Pittsburgh is.

El_Scoobo

Aug 18, 2004
Your Imagination
Of course they won't move Boston out of the northeast, everyone knows that. I would think a division that includes 4 of the original 6 would be pretty sweet.

Buffalo goes before Boston for sure.

Buffalo's historic rivalry with the leafs??? I had no idea that something that's less then 40 years old was "historic". I'm pretty sure the Bruins have more "historic" rivalries with both Toronto and Montreal.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This thread is sort of akin to the heirs arguing over the deceased's fortune while he is still alive and in the room. Actually when he has a serious cold and very well may recover from it. Certainly you can do it, but it is tacky as hell.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
El_Scoobo said:
Buffalo's historic rivalry with the leafs??? I had no idea that something that's less then 40 years old was "historic". I'm pretty sure the Bruins have more "historic" rivalries with both Toronto and Montreal.

Now you're just setting an arbitrary year that supports your argument. From their founding, and the days of Punch Imlach and Tim Horton, the Sabres have had a natural geographic rivalry with the Leafs. You can argue almost anything to make your case. I could point out that Boston and Montreal spent most of the 70s in different divisions, while Buffalo and Toronto were in the same division. That's history.

Face it, almost 40 years, by the standards of this league, is historic. 40 years is older than most of the teams in this league. Heck, people treat Detroit-Colorado as if it were a sacred rivalry that can't be broken up, but that's barely 10 years old. Edmonton-Calgary is only 20-some years old.

Let me use another analogy. No one would ever dream of putting the Rangers and Isles in different divisions. They have a natural geographic rivalry. Most people would consider Rangers-Isles to be a historic rivalry, though it's not as old as Sabres-Leafs, since the Isles came into the league later.

Sabres-Leafs are nearly as close geographically as Rangers and Isles. Tons of people cross the border for these games. The league would be insane to separate them into different divisions.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
I think its pretty obvious that Columbus or Detroit should and would be the teams to move east.

As a Wings fan, I would love for the Wings to get that choice. But I wouldnt care if it were Columbus either. Both teams are in the wrong conference.

AXN

Feb 10, 2004
Nashville is right near Atlanta and will move to the south. Kansas City would move to the central and Washington to the Atlantic.

MuzikMachine

Nov 14, 2005
AXN said:
Nashville is right near Atlanta and will move to the south. Kansas City would move to the central and Washington to the Atlantic.

Good call. Here's what I think should happen if the Pens end up in Houston.

Eastern Conference is the same as mentioned above, including Nashville moving east.

- San Jose moves to the NW Division
- Minnesota moves to the Central Division
- Houston joins the Pacific Division, rename it the Southwest

salis_rax

Apr 27, 2005
OK, after a night of heavy drinking, I think I've come up with the solution...

Bettman Conference
Gretzky Division
Boston Bruins
Hartford Whalers
Montreal Canadiens***
Ottawa Senators
Buffalo Sabres

Lemieux Division
Pittsburgh Penguins
Philadelphia Flyers
Washington Capitals

Kurri Division
Calgary Flames
Winnipeg Jets
Edmonton Oilers
Minnesota Northstars

Richard Division
Quebec Nordiques
Montreal Canadiens***
Colorado Avalanche

Goodnow Conference
Fuhr Division
San Jose Sharks
Montreal Maroons
Los Angeles Kings
Anaheim Mighty Ducks of Los Angeles

Messier Division
New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Carolina Hurricanes
Tampa Bay Lightning
Atlanta Thrashers

Detroit Red Wings Division
Detroit Red Wings

Teams That Suck Division
Columbus Blue Jackets
Chicago Blackhawks
St. Louis Blues
Florida Panthers

Teams That Don't Know How To Make Plurals Division
Toronto Maple Leaves

Teams That Won the 1999 Stanley Cup Due To Bad Calls Division
Dallas Stars

Miscellaneous Division
Vancouver Canucks
New Jersey Devils
Kansas City Somethings
Phoenix Gamblers, oops, I mean Coyotes
California Golden Seals

***The Canadiens are indeed listed twice. They would play a 164 game schedule.

:teach: Now you know.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
hockeytown9321 said:
According to Eric Du-hat-check, Detroit is first in line:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060206.wduha6/BNStory/Sports/home

Of course that's presuming the NHL, Bob Goodenow Red Wings, Bill Clinton, and some reverse vampires all work in conjunction to make sure Pittsburgh doesn't survive. Is that all right, Jaded?
It's all Bettmans fault!!!!! He lied to us!!!! All teams were supposed to make money under the new CBA, thats all they needed!!! Its a conspiracy!!! <Insert broken record smiley here, if we had one. I guess this will have to do: :deadhorse >

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, there should be no further need for hockeytown90210 to post in this thread. Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->