If Pens move West,What West team moves East?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Jazz said:
Isn't Nashville in the Central time zone?

If it is, then there should be no way for them to move to the Eastern Conference.

Why the hell not.

The Eastern Conference could easily live with one CST team.

Hell, the Western Conference has to live with teams spread across all 4 time zones and the Pacific and Northwest Divisions alone span 3 - inter division games with a 2 hr time difference.

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
dafoomie said:
What is with everyone trying to put the Bruins in the Atlantic division? It will never happen. Jeremy Jacobs will put a contract out on Bettman's head before he lets him take away his profitable Bruins-Habs and Bruins-Leafs games. The Isles, Rangers, and Devils games never sell very well in Boston.

I thought Boston was suppose to be some kind of hockey hot bed and they can't sell out games?

acr*

naihlflames said:
I thought Boston was suppose to be some kind of hockey hot bed and they can't sell out games?

That doesn't mean we don't love hockey. It just means our owner is an overcharging money-grubber.

EliCash

Aug 2, 2005
Boston
Lots of great ideas, but none of them will happen.

If the Pens go west, Columbus will move to the Southeast.

No one has mentioned the fact that exchanging a Detroit or Nashville for the Penguins would cause a HUGE power shift toward the Eastern Conference in the short term.

The Jackets and Pens are two similar franchises at this point. It makes total sense. Plus, Columbus is not that much farther from the SE cities than Nashville would be.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
HockeyCritter said:
For the same reason the Caps were moved to the SE or Detroit was moved to the Central
The Caps went into the Southeast because NJ-NYR-NYI had to stay together, and PGH-PHI had to stay together. If Pittsburgh moves, theres no reason not to move the Caps back into the Atlantic.

So I'm assuming that "for the same reason" means that the Bruins are the team you like the least, so you'll just ship them out. Sorry, won't happen. Theres no way they would ever leave the Northeast. The league would never do it, and the Bruins would never allow it.

naihlflames said:
Way to change the argument after you lost the first one. No, the Bruins don't sell out every game. Why? Lots of reasons. The lockout, the team not being very good this year, hockey not being as popular across the board in the US, and mainly, people being fed up with management/ownership. For the last 30 years, they've done just barely enough to get them into the playoffs, and thats all. Spend enough to compete but never go for the cup. People don't want to spend a rediculous amount of money for tickets until they see the team commit to winning over profits. Hopefully the cap will nullify that.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
LuxAeterna said:
No one has mentioned the fact that exchanging a Detroit or Nashville for the Penguins would cause a HUGE power shift toward the Eastern Conference in the short term..
In addition to the Power shift how about the central minus Detroit or Nashville. Pens, Blues, Bluejackets, Blackhawks, Real murders row for the team that stays. Pens, Hawks, and Jackets 2 or 3 years away from respectabillity and the Blues heading south (in the standings) for about 5 years.

EliCash

Aug 2, 2005
Boston
Rails said:
The Southeast? Do you mean the Atlantic?

No, I meant the Southeast. As mentioned previously, Washington should really be in the Atlantic. And I think Columbus fits in just as well w/ Atlanta, Carolina, et al, as they do with the East Coast teams. Rivalry-wise it just makes way more sense to have Washington in the Atlantic and have Columbus fill the empty slot in the SE.

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
dafoomie said:
Way to change the argument after you lost the first one. No, the Bruins don't sell out every game. Why? Lots of reasons. The lockout, the team not being very good this year, hockey not being as popular across the board in the US, and mainly, people being fed up with management/ownership. For the last 30 years, they've done just barely enough to get them into the playoffs, and thats all. Spend enough to compete but never go for the cup. People don't want to spend a rediculous amount of money for tickets until they see the team commit to winning over profits. Hopefully the cap will nullify that.

Lost what argument? Anyway, I think we can agree on one thing. As a Bruin's fan, you don't want them to move and as a Wing's fan, I want them out of the west. Detroit is in EST and following them with those 10 or 10:30pm starts and waking up at 6am is a real pain.

One question for you as a Bruin fan: Take a look at post #69 (no not a joke) in this thread. Would that solution make both Boston and Detroit happy? Would it also be a better 82 game schedule?

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
LuxAeterna said:
No, I meant the Southeast. As mentioned previously, Washington should really be in the Atlantic. And I think Columbus fits in just as well w/ Atlanta, Carolina, et al, as they do with the East Coast teams. Rivalry-wise it just makes way more sense to have Washington in the Atlantic and have Columbus fill the empty slot in the SE.
I'm with you on Washington, but Nashville seems to fit in better geographically in the Southeast. When I think of Nashville, I think of "The South", like with Atlanta, North Carolina, and Florida. I think thats how Nashville considers itself, and Columbus would consider itself to be Midwest. Plus, Nashville is much closer to the other Southeast teams than anyone else.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
naihlflames said:
Lost what argument? Anyway, I think we can agree on one thing. As a Bruin's fan, you don't want them to move and as a Wing's fan, I want them out of the west. Detroit is in EST and following them with those 10 or 10:30pm starts and waking up at 6am is a real pain.

One question for you as a Bruin fan: Take a look at post #69 (no not a joke) in this thread. Would that solution make both Boston and Detroit happy? Would it also be a better 82 game schedule?
I dunno how 3 conferences would work, its a bit more radical than anything else.

I'm really not trying to be a prik (why is that censored?), but theres no way the Bruins can leave the Northeast. And Detroit is in fairly close proximity to Chicago, St. Louis, and Columbus. Dallas, Minnesota, and Colorado have it a lot worse. I really don't see a scenario where Detroit would move into the Northeast, and if they did, the Bruins wouldn't be the ones to move out. Maybe if Buffalo moved into the Atlantic, but I don't see how that would work.

naihlflames

Nov 18, 2003
Detroit MI
dafoomie said:
I dunno how 3 conferences would work, its a bit more radical than anything else.

mmmm ....... How many divisions are there in the MLB for the A.L. and N.L.? 3 divisions could work and I like the schedule alot more than seeing the same teams over and over and over again.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
dafoomie said:
I'm with you on Washington, but Nashville seems to fit in better geographically in the Southeast. When I think of Nashville, I think of "The South", like with Atlanta, North Carolina, and Florida. I think thats how Nashville considers itself, and Columbus would consider itself to be Midwest. Plus, Nashville is much closer to the other Southeast teams than anyone else.

I agree - moving the Caps back to a division with NYR-NYI-NJ-PHI makes the most sense considering they previously had rivalries and geographically are all within about a 4-5 hour commute of one another. Plus Was-Phi and Was-NY/NJ already have rivalries from other sports, like Redskins-Giants/Eagles, Nats-Mets/Phillies, Wizards...well, who really cares about the NBA anyway...

Nashville to the East makes sense as well, since they have not been around very long and are just beginning to develop rivalries with their divisional opponents. Plus, I would have to believe that Nashville could develop strong rivalries with Carolina & Atlanta, since they are all Southern cities with teams that arrived within a couple of years of each other - teams that appear to be getting strong at the same time.

Columbus to the Atlantic just makes no sense to me. Ohio teams don't compete within NY/Philly teams in any of the other major sports. If Pittsburg leaves (hopefully, that won't be the case), Washington is the obvious choice to take their place in the Atlantic...the next domino is just Nashville to the SE. I don't see any other scenerio happening unless Detroit really pushes to be in the Eastern Conference.

Last edited:

EliCash

Aug 2, 2005
Boston
dafoomie said:

I agree with that. But as I said earlier, there would be a HUGE power shift toward the Eastern Conf if you were to swap the Preds for the Pens. Columbus fits in well enough for the SE. It's like how Indianapolis is in the AFC South in the NFL. It's done for the sake of rivalries (keeping the Dolphins in the East).

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
naihlflames said:
mmmm ....... How many divisions are there in the MLB for the A.L. and N.L.? 3 divisions could work and I like the schedule alot more than seeing the same teams over and over and over again.
Yeah, but thats 3 divisions per league, each league is half of the major leagues, which is exactly equal to what they have now, 3 divisions per conference, each conference is half the league.

I don't think they're going to move away from that model, every other league does it except the NFL, they do 4 divisions per conference, because they have more teams.

I don't really have anything against Detroit being in a division with Toronto or the Northeast teams, I just can't find a way to make it work. I don't know of any Northeast team that would want to change divisions, certainly not Boston or Montreal.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
LuxAeterna said:
I agree with that. But as I said earlier, there would be a HUGE power shift toward the Eastern Conf if you were to swap the Preds for the Pens. Columbus fits in well enough for the SE. It's like how Indianapolis is in the AFC South in the NFL. It's done for the sake of rivalries (keeping the Dolphins in the East).
I don't think a short term 'balance of power' thing would factor into a long term realignment plan. Teams go from good to bad, and from bad to good, within a couple years.

sushinsky4tsar

Oct 17, 2002
Edina, MN
Visit site
If the Blue Jackets move into the Southeast division, does that mean they will have to change their name to the Grey Jackets? :biglaugh:

I see the rationale with the timezone thing. But I still think that if you use the bump WAS into the Atlantic route, then Nashville has to be the one to go. The NW and Pacific straddle 3 timezones afterall, so I don't think it's a deal breaker. Maybe the U.S. Department of Agriculture can redraw the lines :dunno: ;) And yes, Columbus moving into the Atlantic is a less intrusive option, but the Caps just make more sense than the Jackets as an Atlantic team. I assume the Caps would favor the move, and I assume seniority would win out.

Based on the reaction of some of these Bruins fans, I think the NE probably should stay untouched. And though I realize Detroit has nothing in their division right now, I would really hate to see 5/6 Originals in one conference. I don't think decades of history should arbitrarily be blown up just because the Hawks and Blues have hit bottom. If you shift Dallas and maybe a Houston franchise or maybe Minnesota down the line, then the Central have a lot of hope at rebuilding some great rivalries of the past.

On a side note, I hope none of this happens, but I think it's a fun debate nonetheless.

Rails

Mar 30, 2003
LBurg and FBurg, VA
Visit site
Gesthar said:
I want the Blues, Hawks, or Blue Jackets in the Atlantic, being a Flyer fan.

:P
Of those three, Columbus is the only one that you can really make a geographical case for being shifted to the Atlantic. You can make one for Washington being in the Atlantic or Nashville in the Southeast, but St. Louis and Chicago are clearly in the central.

And being a Flyers Fan as well, it doesn't matter what team is in the division, as long as there is hockey to read about/listen to/watch, I'm happy.

bbison

Oct 16, 2004
San Jose
dafoomie said:
The Caps went into the Southeast because NJ-NYR-NYI had to stay together, and PGH-PHI had to stay together. If Pittsburgh moves, theres no reason not to move the Caps back into the Atlantic.

Why did PGH-PHI have to stay together? In the old Northeast division, they were with Boston, Montreal, Ottawa, Buffalo and Hartford/Carolina...

I realize they were in the Patrick Division together for years, before the league got expansion/relocation crazy. But they were also in different divisions in the 70's.

No one says that any solution the league comes up with will make sense. Remember Tampa Bay was in the Norris Division for a while...

Try and explain the logic behind some of these divisions:

http://www.shrpsports.com/nhl/stand/1980.htm
http://www.shrpsports.com/nhl/stand/1979.htm
http://www.shrpsports.com/nhl/stand/1978.htm
http://www.shrpsports.com/nhl/stand/1977.htm
http://www.shrpsports.com/nhl/stand/1974.htm

Gotta love that Montreal/Los Angeles combo. Vancouver in the East?

Anyway, of all the options proposed Nashville to the SE, Washington to the ATL make the most sense to me if the Pens go west. Minnesota would love to get into the Central if there's massive realignment, the late start times on all their division road games are an issue. (Of course, Dallas would have the same gripe.)

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
I think an easy one would be...

Buffalo to the Atlantic
Detriot to the Northeast
Pens new city to the Central.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Ziggyjoe21 said:
Why would they move Boston out of that division when Buffalo is in the same state as isles and rags?

Geography. New York is a pretty big state.

The New York City teams are closer to Boston than they are to Buffalo. Likewise, Buffalo is closer to Toronto and Ottawa than it is to NYC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad