If Pens move West,What West team moves East?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve L*

Jan 13, 2003
Southampton, England
Visit site
As a flyer fan, we want another team that sucks arse in our division if the Pens go, its only fair!

However I think it should be split into 2 confererences with no divisions as its nor fair some teams are going to get into the playoffs purely because 3 other teams suck in their division.

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
Steve L said:
As a flyer fan, we want another team that sucks arse in our division if the Pens go, its only fair!

However I think it should be split into 2 confererences with no divisions as its nor fair some teams are going to get into the playoffs purely because 3 other teams suck in their division.

totally right. the future should, if reason was in charge have any of these formats:

1) two straight conference tables. Play 4 times every team in own conference, twice teams in other conference, sum 86 games.

2) two conferences, six divisions. seed divisions within conference based on last years standings.

3) three conferences á 10 teams, no divisons. Top 4 teams in each conf go to playoffs, 4 wildcards based on regular season points.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Street Hawk said:
I think it would likely fall to Detroit's decision, and Ilitch would be crazy not to moved the Red Wings East. Look at the travel the Wings have to do now, especially with this new schedule format of Conference play.

Wings have been around forever, so it should fall to them to make a decision.

So, if the Wings move East, then they go into the Northeast with Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa.

Boston moves to the Atlantic with NYR, NYI, NJ, and Philly.

SE stays the same.

And depending on where they move in the West, Minny might move to the Central or Dallas might move to the Central.

But, I do believe that it should be Detroit's call because they've been in the league so long.

Why would they move Boston out of that division when Buffalo is in the same state as isles and rags?

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Shane said:
I think Portland or Seattle would get into the Northwest, if only to finally give Vancouver an opponent in close geographical range.
Dallas being 2 time zones away from its divisional opponents would be a more pressing situation IMHO.

Rails

Mar 30, 2003
LBurg and FBurg, VA
Visit site
Hasbro...a team won't be moving to Oklahoma, at least not from what I've read. They already failed when the NHL last expanded. Their relative position to Dallas and St. Louis is part of the cause to this. The place is a football market primarily, and then baseball, tennis, and some other sports before they are hockey. I read a study by an Oklahoma University professor about why Oklahoma City and Tulsa failed to get an NHL expansion team and will probably fail at attracting other teams, and they are just in a bad relative location.

He did say that their best shot would be landing a relocating team, but so far have failed. Their last chance was Hartford Whalers, but they lost that to a smaller metro-area of Raleigh.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Enoch said:
Columbus, Nashville, Detroit are all in the wrong conference....
So, which three move West to replace them, eh? Or are you saying the league needs to have 18 teams in the East and 12 in the West?

Where's your brilliant Conference breakdown?

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
Reaper45 said:
Sacramento is far too close to San Jose, and doesn't have a large population to begin with. San Diego I could see especially if the Chargers move...
San Diego is so far off the relocation radar as to be on another planet. The only arena is the 12,981-seat iPayOne Center at the Sports Arena, which turns 40 years old this year. It is completely unsuitable for the NHL -- I should know, I go to 30-odd games a year there.

The city is in the middle of a BILLION-dollar shortfall in their pension fund, and is actually looking to raze the iPayOne Center in the next 5-7 years to replace it with higher-tax-generating high-income housing. There is NO plan to replace the iPayOne, and that will be the end of pro hockey in San Diego for several years, of any stripe. With the new ballpark opening in 2004, and the consistent argument over the football stadium, there will be NO money forthcoming for any sized arena, much less an NHL-sized one. I'm not happy about it, but it is the unfortunate reality that San Diego is just not going to have any indoor winter sport in the major leagues for at least a decade, if not longer... and the once-dominant minor league San Diego Gulls (of the ECHL) will probably find themselves homeless before 2011.

Rails

Mar 30, 2003
LBurg and FBurg, VA
Visit site
HansH said:
San Diego is so far off the relocation radar as to be on another planet. The only arena is the 12,981-seat iPayOne Center at the Sports Arena, which turns 40 years old this year. It is completely unsuitable for the NHL -- I should know, I go to 30-odd games a year there.

The city is in the middle of a BILLION-dollar shortfall in their pension fund, and is actually looking to raze the iPayOne Center in the next 5-7 years to replace it with higher-tax-generating high-income housing. There is NO plan to replace the iPayOne, and that will be the end of pro hockey in San Diego for several years, of any stripe. With the new ballpark opening in 2004, and the consistent argument over the football stadium, there will be NO money forthcoming for any sized arena, much less an NHL-sized one. I'm not happy about it, but it is the unfortunate reality that San Diego is just not going to have any indoor winter sport in the major leagues for at least a decade, if not longer... and the once-dominant minor league San Diego Gulls (of the ECHL) will probably find themselves homeless before 2011.

Again, the San Diego and Sacramento were just two cities that would definately fall in the Pacific Conference...

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
What i've always heard is Detroit has the 1s right to move conferences if there is an opening. This goes back to when Toronto moved from the western conference to the east. Now ofcourse this was before the expansion but i would expect is the Wings to force Bettman to honor that deal.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Rails said:
Hasbro...a team won't be moving to Oklahoma, at least not from what I've read. They already failed when the NHL last expanded. Their relative position to Dallas and St. Louis is part of the cause to this. The place is a football market primarily, and then baseball, tennis, and some other sports before they are hockey. I read a study by an Oklahoma University professor about why Oklahoma City and Tulsa failed to get an NHL expansion team and will probably fail at attracting other teams, and they are just in a bad relative location.

He did say that their best shot would be landing a relocating team, but so far have failed. Their last chance was Hartford Whalers, but they lost that to a smaller metro-area of Raleigh.
Oklahoma never had an NHL team, why do you make things up?

CalgaryFan1988

Jan 13, 2004
Alberta
Visit site
The Nemesis said:
I'd bet the NHL moves Columbus before Detroit. If only because the Wings-Avs rivalry is one of the few truely heated rivalries the NHL has right now, and a move to the east could destroy that.

Am I the only one who remembers how great the Detroit / Toronto rivalries were?

Rails

Mar 30, 2003
LBurg and FBurg, VA
Visit site
futurcorerock said:
Oklahoma never had an NHL team, why do you make things up?

Yeah, I know this, but Oklahoma City was one of the six teams in the running for one of the four expansion teams (which ultimately went to Atlanta, Columbus, Minnesota, and Nashville). Houston was the other city.

Will Major League Sports Ever Come to Oklahoma?

The Oklahoma press indicated that Oklahoma City's small size, especially its television
market, doomed its NHL bid (10). However, we feel that there were other factors at work as well. In particular,
using comparisons to the cities that have been successful in obtaining teams both in the past and more recently,
we have demonstrated that certain geographic factors in combination with city size contributed to Oklahoma
City's failure to secure an NHL franchise.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Rails said:

They might just get an NBA team and I've heard nothing but lauds about their handling of the Hornets.

Re the Whalers: This is Karmanos we're talking about he flirted with Minny before he moved to Raliegh.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
CalgaryFan1988 said:

hey....slow down there...you mean there was hockey before Detroit-Colorado? :sarcasm:

JWI19 said:
What i've always heard is Detroit has the 1s right to move conferences if there is an opening. This goes back to when Toronto moved from the western conference to the east. Now ofcourse this was before the expansion but i would expect is the Wings to force Bettman to honor that deal.

I remember that being mentioned quite a bit, also. Personally, other than losing the Chicago rivalry, I'd love it. Nashville was starting to get interesting, but I soooo miss those Detroit-Toronto games. Hell, I miss the Norris...

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
CalgaryFan1988 said:

With us older guys no. But with Toronto moving to the East and barely playing it's really lost it's luster. Toronto/Detroit games on HNIC got me hooked on the NHL

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
JWI19 said:

There was a deal that fell through that after the 2003 season, Columbus and Toronto were going to switch with each other

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I'm not sure if this was already posted.. But I'd really like to see this happen *IF* the Penguins move...

Penguins move to Winnipeg
Winnipeg becomes West Conference team
Boston moves into the Atlantic Division in the East to take over Penguins slot
Detroit moves into Bostons slot in the North East
Winnipeg takes over Detroits slot

Reasons:

Winnipeg Jets are awesome.
You would hope the NHL would try and utilize the Boston-New York rivalry in sports.
Detroit really does belong in the East.

So it looks like:
EAST
North East
Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa
Detroit
Buffalo

Atlantic
NYR
NYI
Boston
Philadelphia
New Jersey

WEST
Central
Winnipeg
Nashville
Chicago
Columbus
St. Louis

acr*

The solution is so incredibly easy.

Penguins to KC, they go into the Central. Makes sense from a geographical perspective.

Nashville goes to the Southeast. They're a southeastern city with a southern culture, and their being an expansion team fits in well with the other 4 teams in that division.

Then Washington, a team with 30 years of history under its belt goes to the Atlantic to take the Pens' place. Makes perfect sense, considering not only are they geographically closer to those teams, but they were division rivals with the Rangers, Isles, Flyers, and Devils back in the days of the Patrick Division.

CBJSlash

Aug 13, 2003
The Bus
Visit site
Most likely Columbus, but I did not think about trying to get Washington in the Atlantic. In that case it would be Nashville to the southeast.

Win-Win for the Jackets.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
stanleycaps98 said:
Washington needs to be in the same division as the NY Rangers, NI Islanders, NJ Devils and Philly. It's just that simple.

Move Nashville to the SE.

I'd agree with that. Put the Caps back in with that division.

Of course, I want Pittsburgh to stay put.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->