If Pens move West,What West team moves East?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaBadGuy7

Dec 28, 2004
Newark,NJ
Assuming that the Pens move at all, let's say the Pens move West(ex Houston,KC,Winnipeg) that would a West team would move East. Geographically the obivous choices are Detroit,Chicago, and Columbus since in other pro sports they are in the East Which of these team would the NHL move Eastern IF the pens moved west.

jacketracket*

Columbus is the eastern-most of the Western conference, but I wonder if there is a "seniority" issue with Detroit?

Personally, I doubt (and hope not) that the Pens will move. I'd hate to see something like that happen to another fan base.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
As much as I'd hate it, Detroit is completely in the wrong conference for their locale, and if anyone moves east, it should be them

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
octopi said:
As much as I'd hate it, Detroit is completely in the wrong conference for their locale, and if anyone moves east, it should be them

I'd bet the NHL moves Columbus before Detroit. If only because the Wings-Avs rivalry is one of the few truely heated rivalries the NHL has right now, and a move to the east could destroy that.

Fugu

Even though it would make the most sense to move Detroit to the East, it would leave one Original Six in the West. The NHL I don't believe would want to concentrate the tradition in one conference to that extent. So that leaves Columbus, and the Central gets the relocated Pens then?

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
Fugu said:
The NHL I don't believe would want to concentrate the tradition in one conference to that extent.

except when the original 6 were all in the same conference back when expansion began

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
The Nemesis said:
If only because the Wings-Avs rivalry is one of the few truely heated rivalries the NHL has right now, and a move to the east could destroy that.

Yeah but imagin the hype they could make out of an Avalanche/Red Wings Cup Finals match up.

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
Nashville is closer to Saint Louis and Chicago than it is to Tampa and Miami. If I am not mistaken, Nashville is in the Central time-zone. No doubt that re-aligning the divisions would be a total mess if the Penguins franchise moved to a Western city.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Bucky_Hoyt said:
Nashville is closer to Saint Louis and Chicago than it is to Tampa and Miami. If I am not mistaken, Nashville is in the Central time-zone. No doubt that re-aligning the divisions would be a total mess if the Penguins franchise moved to a Western city.

no it isn't, it's simple.

Columbus moves east.

There -- its done. They were going to do it back in 2003 anyways.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Drive time, Nashville is about 4 hours from St. Louis, 7 hours from Chicago 5.5 hours from Columbus and 7.5 from Detroit.

Drive time, Nashville is about 4 hours from Atlanta, 8 from Carolina, 11 from Tampa and 13 from Miami and 10 from Washington. Not to mention we're on central time while all these teams are on Eastern time.

I think we fit better in the central

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I just don't expect the NHL to make the distinction between southern cities and it isn't an outlandish fit. I rank the realignment possibilities this way:
1.Nashville
2.Columbus
3.Detroit in order to preserve rivalries with Chicago (aka Wirtz's only sellouts) and Colorado

If a hypothetical Eastern team did move west where would they go?

KC, OKC, or Houston: into open slot in the Central

Winnipeg: Into Northwest to keep the Canadian teams in one divsion, Minnesota moved to Central

Portland or Seattle: Pacific, Dallas moved to Central

If there were a massive realignmnet of the NHL one thing they should look at is doing an AFC/NFC type split of the teams rather than the East West thing.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
go kim johnsson 514 said:
no it isn't, it's simple.

Columbus moves east.

There -- its done. They were going to do it back in 2003 anyways.

I was just gonna post that. Columbus is the obivious and logical choice.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
I certainly hope Detroit moves east. The Colorado rivalry is finished anyway, and at least we'd get to play Toronto and Montreal and not have to make 4 western trips a year.

Columbus is east of Detroit by only a few miles, so I don't think that would be a factor.

Majik1987

I know kung fu...
Nov 27, 2005
Northern Illinois
I agree that Detroit will not move if only because of the Wirtz factor. Chicago's attendance is already bad, and by moving out Detroit, that would easily lop off 50,000 from attendance. The Detroit match-ups are some of the only games that the Hawks sell out, and Wirtz won't let that go.

I would agree that Columbus is the choice to go East.

X0ssbar

MacLean was asked this very question on his radio show.

While pointing out numerous times that he doesn't want to see Pitt move he did say that if that did happen he thinks Columbus would be the logical choice:

1. The obvious - they haven't been around that long and are 'East'.

2. To many other franchises in the West would be upset if they lost Detriot. Like previously stated - Detroit has a lot of history, draw well when they play away and has some passionate rivalries.

Personally I'd love to see Cbus in the East but would miss the Nashville/Detroit games (er spankings).

Rails

Mar 30, 2003
LBurg and FBurg, VA
Visit site
Depends where they move. If they were to move to a place like Seattle you could move Minnesota to the Central Division and Columbus to the Atlantic. Or you could move Nashville to the Southeast and Washington to the Atlantic. Or, if you moved them to an Eastern Canadian province, you could put them in the Northeast, put Toronto in the Central, and then Columbus in the Atlantic, or Nashville in the Southeast and Washington in the Atlantic.

No matter which way you slice it, a team in the Central Division is moving to the Southeast or Atlantic.

You could put the Penguins in San Diego or Sacramento. Then you move Dallas to the Central which cause Nashville or Columbus to move again.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Rails said:
You could put the Penguins in San Diego or Sacramento. Then you move Dallas to the Central which cause Nashville or Columbus to move again.
Sacramento is far too close to San Jose, and doesn't have a large population to begin with. San Diego I could see especially if the Chargers move...

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Seniority.........

I think it would likely fall to Detroit's decision, and Ilitch would be crazy not to moved the Red Wings East. Look at the travel the Wings have to do now, especially with this new schedule format of Conference play.

Wings have been around forever, so it should fall to them to make a decision.

So, if the Wings move East, then they go into the Northeast with Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa.

Boston moves to the Atlantic with NYR, NYI, NJ, and Philly.

SE stays the same.

And depending on where they move in the West, Minny might move to the Central or Dallas might move to the Central.

But, I do believe that it should be Detroit's call because they've been in the league so long.

Shane

Nov 6, 2003
United Kingdom
Visit site
Hasbro said:
I just don't expect the NHL to make the distinction between southern cities and it isn't an outlandish fit. I rank the realignment possibilities this way:
1.Nashville
2.Columbus
3.Detroit in order to preserve rivalries with Chicago (aka Wirtz's only sellouts) and Colorado

If a hypothetical Eastern team did move west where would they go?

KC, OKC, or Houston: into open slot in the Central

Winnipeg: Into Northwest to keep the Canadian teams in one divsion, Minnesota moved to Central

Portland or Seattle: Pacific, Dallas moved to Central

If there were a massive realignmnet of the NHL one thing they should look at is doing an AFC/NFC type split of the teams rather than the East West thing.

I think Portland or Seattle would get into the Northwest, if only to finally give Vancouver an opponent in close geographical range.

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
Majik1987 said:
I agree that Detroit will not move if only because of the Wirtz factor. Chicago's attendance is already bad, and by moving out Detroit, that would easily lop off 50,000 from attendance. The Detroit match-ups are some of the only games that the Hawks sell out, and Wirtz won't let that go.

I would agree that Columbus is the choice to go East.
not the NHLs fault, if he would put the games on tv maybe chicago would have some fans

what a ****in idiot owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->