If Ovechkin scores tonight he'll hit 2 more impressive milestones!

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Bobby Hull

610 NHL goals
303 WHA goals
913 Total

No knock on the Great 8. But OP isn't putting any consideration into those WHA goals Bobby scored.

WHA didnt have the same overall level. Hull had a lot more goals per season in the WHA when he was really old than he had in his prime in the NHL. The same with Howe. He had a really imprssing season in the NHL in 68/69 with 103 points as a 41 year old by the end of the season. Then he declines to 71 points in 69/70 and then 52 points in 70/71. Then after two years of not playing he goes to the WHA and posts 100-99-102 points the next 3 seasons after showing signs of age finally making him slow down a little in the NHL. He also had a 96 point season when he turned 50 in the WHA. So while the league had its stars it had less depth than NHL (at least the NHL that was before the WHA existed that took some of the talent).

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
So we're going to get a rematch of the Cup final tonight when Ovechkin takes on Vegas. Ovechkin still doesn't have a regular season goal against Vegas and if he manages to score he'll have at least a goal against all the other 30 teams in the League.

But what would be even more impressive is the fact that Ovechkin would tie the late great Bobby Hull in career goals with 610. If Ovechkin scores he would also do it in 57 regular season games less than Bobby Hull did, which would be a hard pill to swollow for most on the history board. This would pretty much end any discussion of Bobby Hull being a better all time player and goal scorer than Ovechkin.

And seeing as Ovechkin has been on fire to start the season and Vegas has been letting in goals left and right, there's a very good chance we're going to see Ovechkin have another historic night tonight!

1. Ovechkin probably has a better rep in the history forum than Crosby.
2. Bobby Hull has 3 Art Ross trophies.

Church Hill

I'd drink it
Nov 16, 2007
Well what a wondrous opinion and such a open minded method of communicating that with others.

I suspect the vast majority of experienced real hockey fans would differ with you. Lesser experienced fans tend to get swept into glitzy dazzle. More experienced fans understand the intricacies and nuances of the game which sways the learning curve they are undergoing to not quite grasp the complete picture.

Obviously I not commenting on you in particular as I do not know your level but this gives you the opportunity re-think your stance.

You failed to bring evidence to this discussion, try again later.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
This is the kind of pretentious bull**** that makes "a vast majority of experienced hockey fans" unbearable. If you think that any of the modern stars are better than the old stars, you must be unlearned, or a fanboy. GTFO here with this.

I put forth that some modern stars are better then the old stars. I also put forth that some of the old stars are better then the modern stars.

Your suggestion that absolutely none of today's modern stars are better then any of the old stars seems rather naive.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Yes it does. Ovechkin is better at everything and is the player you would want on your team today if you wanted to maximize your chance at winning a hockey game. That is a fact. Move along.
Today, yeah, after all, Hull retired decades ago and is pushing 80. All time is discussion worthy.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Nah, in their primes Ovechkin skates circles around Hull and has time to stop for borscht before putting 8 goals behind any 70s goalie each and every game.
I wish I would have bookmarked the clip about current players playing in old equipment. If you have fifteen minutes to spare, you could watch that clip. It explains how athletes are not much better today than they were before and that most improvement is due to equipment.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Kuzy on Ovy's milestones:
DpP5gjtWkActbL6.jpg:large

mitchdisaster

Threadkiller
Jan 30, 2007
The Superheater
I put forth that some modern stars are better then the old stars. I also put forth that some of the old stars are better then the modern stars.

Your suggestion that absolutely none of today's modern stars are better then any of the old stars seems rather naive.
That's some Trump level twisting right there

You painted with broad strokes that only discerning seasoned fans of the game would be able to follow the intricacies and nuances of the game. And that the glitzy dazzle of a player like Ovechkin is only for lesser experienced fans.

I have no issue with older stars being better than newer stars. I have a problem with the hoity toity better than thou attitude that says that fans the modern era aren't real fans and can't comprehend the game on a deeper level. It reminds me of the stupid debates about being a "real" fan or a "bandwagon" fan.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
That's some Trump level twisting right there

You painted with broad strokes that only discerning seasoned fans of the game would be able to follow the intricacies and nuances of the game. And that the glitzy dazzle of a player like Ovechkin is only for lesser experienced fans.

I have no issue with older stars being better than newer stars. I have a problem with the hoity toity better than thou attitude that says that fans the modern era aren't real fans and can't comprehend the game on a deeper level. It reminds me of the stupid debates about being a "real" fan or a "bandwagon" fan.

Interesting take as wrong as it is. Guess I'm just more open minded. Oh well, carry on with your Trump Twisting.

edit - btw what in the world are you talking about with this rambling about modern era fans not being real fans? Are we not in the modern era right now? Both you and I? Strange strange odd odd type of self serving agenda based hypocrisy?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->