If Ovechkin manages to break Gretzky's record, would that make him jump in your all time rankings?

Would you rank Ovechkin higher or not?

• Total voters

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Seems like a lot of people would continue to rank Ovechkin under Crosby if Ovechkin ends up with 890 goals, but would rank Ovechkin ahead if he ends up with 895 goals.

That would be PEAK HFBoards :laugh:

I dont think crosby will be ranked as high as u think in the future. He doesnt get the benefit of the doubt like older guys and outside of his stanley cups, his personal resume is not as great. ( to be ranked this high) He has no records that people will remember him from, and he is very blend personality aswell. Absolute Elite player, but doesnt make the cut.

Thats the thing. 2 Harts and 2 scoring titles along with two Richards actually comes across as kind of disappointing for Sid. His trophy case is fantastic but for a guy with his hype and skill, you'd expect more. McDavid for example has almost matched him in individual awards (already surpassed him in Art Ross', equaled him in 1st AST and both MVP awards) and hes only played 6 seasons.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
That would be PEAK HFBoards :laugh:

Thats the thing. 2 Harts and 2 scoring titles along with two Richards actually comes across as kind of disappointing for Sid. His trophy case is fantastic but for a guy with his hype and skill, you'd expect more. McDavid for example has almost matched him in individual awards (already surpassed him in Art Ross', equaled him in 1st AST and both MVP awards) and hes only played 6 seasons.

Sure what you say here is true, if one is only looking at awards in an absolute sense but his level of play has been elite of elite for 14 straight seasons hitting the ground running and if in your "worst" season your level of play is good for "only" 10th in league scoring then it's been as good as expected in many ways.

Throw in a couple of Conn Smythes, some gold medals and look at the whole picture and it's simply one of the top 5 all time resumes period in terms of excellence.

Would it have been "better" without the injuries?

Sure.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Sure what you say here is true, if one is only looking at awards in an absolute sense but his level of play has been elite of elite for 14 straight seasons hitting the ground running and if in your "worst" season your level of play is good for "only" 10th in league scoring then it's been as good as expected in many ways.

Throw in a couple of Conn Smythes, some gold medals and look at the whole picture and it's simply one of the top 5 all time resumes period in terms of excellence.

Would it have been "better" without the injuries?

Sure.

He has been elite sure but fast-forward 30 years and if Ovi beats gretz goal record he is going to look Godly. Obviously not to you due to bias that i see in your posts but to up and coming people to the sport.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He has been elite sure but fast-forward 30 years and if Ovi beats gretz goal record he is going to look Godly. Obviously not to you due to bias that i see in your posts but to up and coming people to the sport.

Honestly given his overall level of play in the last couple of seasons I can only venture how badly the rest of his game will look if he hangs around long enough to beat the record (which he doesn't need to do as he is already the best goal scorer of all time).

I think people don't realize how hard it is to score that many more goals given his age.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Honestly given his overall level of play in the last couple of seasons I can only venture how badly the rest of his game will look if he hangs around long enough to beat the record (which he doesn't need to do as he is already the best goal scorer of all time).

I think people don't realize how hard it is to score that many more goals given his age.

absolutely it is a big "if" for him beating it but if he does it is going to boost his legacy dramatically.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
absolutely it is a big "if" for him beating it but if he does it is going to boost his legacy dramatically.

Sure numbers do matter to fans to be sure but historically I'm more concerned about overall context by hey that's just me.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Sure numbers do matter to fans to be sure but historically I'm more concerned about overall context by hey that's just me.

Ah yes, "context" such as the blatant falsehood that the all time goals leader is "seldom" regarded as the greatest player despite it being a fact for basically 70 consecutive years now.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Ah yes, "context" such as the blatant falsehood that the all time goals leader is "seldom" regarded as the greatest player despite it being a fact for basically 70 consecutive years now.

I have to stop posting when I'm drunk as I was looking at the active goals leader when I originally posted but really Howe and Greztky, you know the 2 guys who hold the majority of the time as goal leader are considered all around greats much more so than just their goal scoring.

Ovi first and foremost is known as a goal scorer just a really different comparison between the 3 guys.

But if he ends up 5,10 or heck even 50 goals short of Gretzky does it really affect his legacy negatively...I think not.

Nor should beating it by 5 or whatever goals over inflate his legacy.

But I'll get ready for your posts about Ovi being better than Howe and how he should be part of the Big 5 if he beats the record, his overall play since his peak overlooked as it has been since then.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Yes, I think he would automatically become Top 5, but I would probably put him at #5.

I'm one of the few that already has him higher than Sidney Crosby, but I am not prejudice against Russians.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad