If Ovechkin manages to break Gretzky's record, would that make him jump in your all time rankings?

Would you rank Ovechkin higher or not?

• Total voters

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016
I get what OP is saying but OV won't be just a compiler. The only times he finished out of the top 10 in goals was in 10/11 (Boudreau switching systems halfway through the season), 16/17 (played with a wrist injury) and 20/21 (missed games due to injury and covid protocol, new coach with no training camp, etc but was still top 10 in GPG). He may not win any more rockets, but he's not going to magically fall out of the top 10 in goals just yet. And yes, breaking the record definitely moves him up.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
What an obnoxious HF'er you are.

It's not like I didn't explain my rationale. If you had any issues with it - by all means address it. But no - quote the first 3 words of my post only instead for a lol
I've had numerous conversations with you in the past, and damn near 100% of the time, you go against OV. You're just not as arrogant and obnoxious as other Pens fans on this board so I will give you that.

So when I saw you in here, and I saw your decision, I laughed. I did read what you wrote, but it was a lot of fluff.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I already view him as the best goalscorer ever so I don't see why having the record in and of itself would make me view him any differently no

UED

May 2, 2021
for my opinion on him to improve, he'd need the next 5 years to be the best 5 year period of his career

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
He is becoming the Gordie Howe of goalscorers which may or may not place him at the top of the best/greatest goalscorers of all-time which may or may not move the needle very much on his all-time rating.

I don't think he surpasses the Rocket in an all-time list, let alone Hull, Beliveau and Crosby. IMO, he would still be in the "just below the 2nd tier forwards" tier with Jagr.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Seems like a lot of people would continue to rank Ovechkin under Crosby if Ovechkin ends up with 890 goals, but would rank Ovechkin ahead if he ends up with 895 goals.

Everyone knows that Crosby would be better than Ovechkin if only Gretzky had scored more goals. Suter hurting Gretzky's back in 1991 is a factor that will be difficult for Crosby to overcome.

Nathaniel

Oct 18, 2013
i'd say if he broke it, or even got realy close, it would move him up a little. Right now if i had to, i'd tier the greats like this (in Tiers, cause a 1-10 ranking is too hard imo). Goalies excluded

Howe
Gretz
Orr

Lemeiux

Jagr
Bossy
Ovi

Harvey
Lidstrom
Esposito
Crosby
Richard

If Ovi has a couple more good years, I'd probably put him up with Mario, and if he breaks the record (or comes really close), he's gotta be in that top tier. The difference in Goalscoring between Gretz/Marios time and now honestly already makes him the greatest goalscorer of all time, to beat Waynes total is a huge feat we may never see anything close to again
Ovechkin up there with lemieux? Eyy pass some of that to the left hand side buddy....

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
He is becoming the Gordie Howe of goalscorers which may or may not place him at the top of the best/greatest goalscorers of all-time which may or may not move the needle very much on his all-time rating.

I don't think he surpasses the Rocket in an all-time list, let alone Hull, Beliveau and Crosby. IMO, he would still be in the "just below the 2nd tier forwards" tier with Jagr.
I dont think crosby will be ranked as high as u think in the future. He doesnt get the benefit of the doubt like older guys and outside of his stanley cups, his personal resume is not as great. ( to be ranked this high) He has no records that people will remember him from, and he is very blend personality aswell. Absolute Elite player, but doesnt make the cut.

Reactions: tacogeoff

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007

He has been in front of Maurice Richard for a while. In front of Hull too [although that one is much closer].

Too much nostalgia for these older players.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
NHL Progressive Leaders and Records for Goals | Hockey-Reference.com

Seldom ever in NHL history has the NHL all time goal leader been considered the best player of all time...

That is utterly false. lol!

Maurice Richard, Gordie Howe, and Wayne Gretzky were all the greatest players of all time as of the time they played, and all 3 were the all-time goals leader.

The exact opposite of your statement is true: For 70 years now, the NHL all time goal leader has been considered the best player of all time.

The only exceptions to that statement would be for a brief time when everyone knew Gretzky was inevitably going to surpass Howe as the all time goals leader, and when everyone knew Howe was going to surpass Richard as the all time goals leader. So the only two (very brief) times when the all time goals leader wasn't the greatest player in history was when everyone knew the new greatest was inevitably going to become the all time goals leader.

Gretzky set the all time goals record in 1994. He's been regarded as the absolute best player in history for the past 27 years at least. How the hell can you possibly describe that as "seldom?" It's been true nearly 70 consecutive years!

What on earth were you thinking when you typed this?

Last edited:

KoozNetsOff 92

Hala Madrid
Apr 6, 2016

Richard lol please. Him and Beliveau are 2 of the most overrated players ever. As for Hull, put their resumes side by side and you'll see it's basically a wash. Then consider the leagues they played in (6 team Canada only league vs 30 team international league) and it's obvious who has the better resume. OV and Jagr a tier below Crosby and Richard is a good one though.

Reactions: Fataldogg

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Some of the posts in here are bonkers.

Ovi above howe?

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Is this what caps fans are now reduced to?

This is akin to Oilers fans and McDavid.

Gotta pimp individual stuff because the team isn't going to win anything.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I dont think crosby will be ranked as high as u think in the future. He doesnt get the benefit of the doubt like older guys and outside of his stanley cups, his personal resume is not as great. ( to be ranked this high) He has no records that people will remember him from, and he is very blend personality aswell. Absolute Elite player, but doesnt make the cut.

Which older guys and what is one their personal resume?

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007

Ovechkin and Jagr are in front of Richard [comfortably], Beliveau, Hull, etc.

They are both quite comfortable in the same tier as Crosby.

Some of these athletes, especially Richard, have no basis being rated where he is. Richard is a tier above a guy who won the Art Ross 5 times, or a player who has 3 Hart Trophies and 9 1st place finishes in goals?

Jagr, Crosby, Ovechkin are all in the same tier.

Reactions: KoozNetsOff 92

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
He's facing much better defensive players and goalies than Gretzky did, so it would be a huge feat.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
He's already the greatest goal scorer in history, even if neat having the record wouldn't really change anything.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Since there's an obvious Canadian bias in the NHL/NHL Media, maybe if Ovechkin passes Gretz they'll start acknowledging WHA stats in the record books which would put Howe back as the all time goals leader.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
That is utterly false. lol!

Maurice Richard, Gordie Howe, and Wayne Gretzky were all the greatest players of all time as of the time they played, and all 3 were the all-time goals leader.

The exact opposite of your statement is true: For 70 years now, the NHL all time goal leader has been considered the best player of all time.

The only exceptions to that statement would be for a brief time when everyone knew Gretzky was inevitably going to surpass Howe as the all time goals leader, and when everyone knew Howe was going to surpass Richard as the all time goals leader. So the only two (very brief) times when the all time goals leader wasn't the greatest player in history was when everyone knew the new greatest was inevitably going to become the all time goals leader.

Gretzky set the all time goals record in 1994. He's been regarded as the absolute best player in history for the past 27 years at least. How the hell can you possibly describe that as "seldom?" It's been true nearly 70 consecutive years!

What on earth were you thinking when you typed this?

There are more guys who at one time led the NHL in goals and the big 3 are there for more than just regular season goal scoring.

Nels Stewart comes to mind here. Maurice Richard as well. Ovechkin as a player is more in line with those 2 guys than Howe, Gretzky, Morenz and heck even Richard for reasons why they are considered great.

Even with M. Richard there wasn't a huge debate about him passing Morenz as the all time best but then again HF Boards weren't around then.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->