Line Combos: IF Nash, Dom Moore and Pyatt were healthy vs NJ, what are your lines?

Yankeekid07

Jul 19, 2011
Westchester, NY
Do you break up the top two? I don't think you can right now?

Kreider- Step - Zucc
Cally - Richards - Hags
Nash - Brassard - Puliot
Miller/Boyle/Moore - Dorsett

I think there is no way that Pyatt should crack this lineup, Mashinter would be on a bus to Hartford, but the question is do you sit Miller, Moore, or Boyle? Each bring something else to the table. You could also make the case for JT to get more development time in Hartford, playing with Kristo and getting top 6 minutes there.

Should be interesting to see how it shakes out when everyone is back.

Yankeekid07

Jul 19, 2011
Westchester, NY
Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello
Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Miller-Brassard-Callahan
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett

Trade Pouliot and Pyatt for some pucks and a new Zamboni.

If you are gonna break up the top 6, I guess Cally would be the one to go, Hags and Richards were great last night together but I think the Captain creates room for them through his physical play on the line

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Hags - Richards - Cally
Pouilet- Brassard - Nash
Kreider- Step - Zucc
Miller - Boyle - Dorsett

I would not mess around with the lines that are working so well. Brass was considered a very good center last season and in the playoffs. Poilet was considered a highly skilled LW. If it makes people feel better call the Kreider-Step-Zooks line the 3rd line even though they may be the best line. Roll the top 3 lines near even minutes.

Yankeekid07

Jul 19, 2011
Westchester, NY
Hags - Richards - Cally
Pouilet- Brassard - Nash
Kreider- Step - Zucc
Miller - Boyle - Dorsett

I would not mess around with the lines that are working so well. Brass was considered a very good center last season and in the playoffs. Poilet was considered a highly skilled LW. If it makes people feel better call the Kreider-Step-Zooks line the 3rd line even though they may be the best line. Roll the top 3 lines near even minutes.

Agreed 100% bud

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Kreider-Step-Zucc
Hagelin-Richards-Cally
Brassard-Miller-Nash
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett.

Nash would need soft minutes, and I'm not messing with a good thing. That top 6 is killing it, I leave them.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Assuming everyone completely healthy and without rust.

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Pouliot-Brassard-Callahan
Moore-Boyle-Dorsett

McDonagh-Strålman
Staal-Girardi
Moore-Del Zotto

Hagelin and Nash need to play together, they had insane chemistry last year and Hagelin has been creating chances like crazy this season.

Streiderello is clicking, don't mess with that.

Pouliot has struggled, but has a good track record as a 5v5 player and gets a chance on a line with Brassard and Callahan.

4th line is freaking amazing for a 4th line. Boyle moves up if Pouliot continues to play with his head up his ass.

Considering the offensive prowess McDonagh has shown this season it is a crime to have him partnered with Girardi and spending way too much time chasing pucks in his own end. Playing with Strålman he is going to spend a lot more time in the offensive zone, and his point totals should increase further. This pairing gets the most minutes, but not the most difficult ones.

Staal is, if not as good, at least almost as good as McD defensively so Staal-Girardi makes sense as a shutdown pairing. We lose less offensive ability of having Staal run around in our end than McD. Gets less minutes than the 1st pairing, but gets the toughest assignments.

Moore-Del Zotto as is.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Kreider-Stepan-Zuc
Hagelin-Richards-Callahan
Pouliot-Brassard-Nash
Miller-Boyle-Dorsett

The top two lines get 18 minutes, the "third" line gets 16, and the fourth gets 8. Ease Nash back into the lineup, and ideally those top three lines are all going (one can hope) so the devils don't get a break shift to shift.

You can argue about how you would alter the lines late in the third if we were down a goal, but the idea is with three lines that can score, hopefully you won't be in that situation in the first place.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I really hate the Moore-Del Zotto pairing. They both take too many chances. Stralman needs to replace Del Zotto, and Del Zotto should play with Staal. Stralman has this awesome ability to get right into position on an opposing rush, Del Zotto can't. It really handcuffs the team if Moore takes a bad chance.

Also just a thought, I REALLY liked the McDonagh-Stralman pairing last night, for the few shifts they were together.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Kreider-Stepan-Zuccarello- duh. our best line.
Hagelin-Brass-Nash- speed and size
Miller-Beev-Callahan- two grinders with a suddenly scoring water rodent.
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett- pita to play against

top 3 lines are interchangeable.

defense is any combo of 6 that doesnt include del zotto.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Hagelin - Richards - Nash
Kreider - Stepan - Zucc
Miller - Brassard - Callahan
Pyatt - Boyle - Dorsett

I've just had it with Pouliot. He almost gave away a goal last night.

I know that everyone thinks the team is going to benefit greatly from the return of Nash, but its worth remembering that he was not exactly the teams best player in last years playoffs, and he has weak stretches like any player on the team.

If it aint broken, dont fix it, and that especially applies to lines with ongoing chemistry. The only people I'd consider swapping personally are Nash and Callahan, but that is mostly a testament to the Captains qualities.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
The current top 2 lines since Hagelin has been back, each player on them has a point per game or even 8 points over those 7 games.

I'd leave them alone until that was no longer the case.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Kreider - Stepan - Zucc
Pouliot - Brassard - Callahan
Moore - Boyle - Dorsett
Pyatt, Mash

Miller goes to Hartford.

Nash steps in fine on that second line. Callahan goes to third line to get Brass and Pouliot going in another gear.

Despite his (happy birthday) goal last night, Miller still looks overmatched at the NHL level. He made a few mistakes in the defensive zone last night that led to a few of Florida's prime scoring chances.

dkt2299

Aug 20, 2008
NYC
What a Great Problem to HAve

I don't think we mess with success.

The top 2 lines stay intact. Nash joins the 3rd line until he gets back to himself. Then he switches places with Cally on the 2nd line. . Boyle needs to stay in the line up. While everyone rips on him he is very importnant to this team. He is our #1 penalty killer. He also takes our biggest defensive faceoffs. He has been really good for us this season. Pouliot is the 1st to go. Pyatt and Moore will rotate in and out while Miller takes a trip down to the minors. He needs top minutes and he won't get them without any injuries to our top 3 lines.
Someone is going to get hurt. That's just the way it is. But until then:

Kreids - Stepan - Zuc
Has, Richards- Nash
Cally - Brass - Boyle
Dorsett - Moore -Pyatt

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I really hate the Moore-Del Zotto pairing. They both take too many chances. Stralman needs to replace Del Zotto, and Del Zotto should play with Staal. Stralman has this awesome ability to get right into position on an opposing rush, Del Zotto can't. It really handcuffs the team if Moore takes a bad chance.

Also just a thought, I REALLY liked the McDonagh-Stralman pairing last night, for the few shifts they were together.

Problem is, who would you remove from the top-4? And Del Zotto really couldn't handle top-4 minutes to start the season.

Bumping down Strålman is a dumb move considering he has been the most effective 5v5 defenceman so far this season. Girardi has struggled, but no way do I give shutdown minutes to Del Zotto.

McDonagh-Strålman were fantastic last year, and considering McDoangh's improved offensive game and Strålman's overall improvement I think they would make an amazing pairing.

Staal-Girardi handles the tough assignments.

Moore-Del Zotto are just the leftovers, and they are fine in their sheltered role in most games. Sometimes it is a bit of an adventure, but they are still better than most 3rd pairings in the league.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
I'd either go with

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Miller-Brassard-Callahan
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett

of if you prefer keeping the lines more intact...

Hagelin-Richards-Callahan
Moore-Brassard-Nash
Miller-Boyle-Dorsett

that 3rd line is weird but Pouliot was garbage last night. flopping all over, turnovers, slow reactions. I'm hoping Sather can do one of his miracle trades and send Pouliot and Pyatt somewhere for anything. Trying to think the last time he managed to send scrubs of their calibre somewhere and get a decent return... Barnaby <=> Ciger?

edit: Higgins + Kotalik for Jokinen + Prust comes to mind. yeah Slats, pull another one of those off!

Last edited:

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Does anyone really believe Nash will be back Tuesday? I don't think he or the team is in any rush to get him back and risk some kind of setback or anything either way the sooner miller goes back to Hartford the better.

jniklast

Sep 28, 2007
Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Miller-Brassard-Callahan
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett

Trade Pouliot and Pyatt for some pucks and a new Zamboni.

Dude, if we trade them it's obviously for a new PBP guy. That is by far our most pressing need!

Yankeekid07

Jul 19, 2011
Westchester, NY
Does anyone really believe Nash will be back Tuesday? I don't think he or the team is in any rush to get him back and risk some kind of setback or anything either way the sooner miller goes back to Hartford the better.

He wont be back for a few weeks, but Dom Moore should be back this Saturday. This was a hypothetical question.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
overmatched?

Kreider - Stepan - Zucc
Pouliot - Brassard - Callahan
Moore - Boyle - Dorsett
Pyatt, Mash

Miller goes to Hartford.

Nash steps in fine on that second line. Callahan goes to third line to get Brass and Pouliot going in another gear.

Despite his (happy birthday) goal last night, Miller still looks overmatched at the NHL level. He made a few mistakes in the defensive zone last night that led to a few of Florida's prime scoring chances.

???? where ya getting that from? the kid has skated hard, uses his body,defensively responsible, kid finally get rewarded with the one thing he hasn't gotten a goal and now ya wanna send him down?? this team is better served with his sandpaper attitude and constant hustle then pouliots lackadaisical boneheaded play.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
bingo

I'd either go with

Hagelin-Richards-Nash
Miller-Brassard-Callahan
Boyle-Moore-Dorsett

this is the best possible line up the team can use barring a trade for a curtis glencross/simmonds type player to play third line and send down miller. not that i think they need to make a trade. good balance and grit and speed spread thru the top 9 and come playoff time when boyle goes into beast mode that 4th line is going to be tough to deal with. moore has a lot of experience and is a headdy player, boyle shifts into another gear and dorsett doesn't quit. always hard on the puck. they can be a real problem. what a difference a year makes.

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
and

keep puliot as a spare forward in case of injury. pyatt can be dealt. he really bring nothing to the table. he does everything just not very good in any area. at least benoit will wow you once and a while with some offensive flare like in the detroit game. the only thing pyatt has ever done was score that playoff goal with that ovechkin wrister. i think he closed his eyes and just prayed. that was his biggest ranger moment ever.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
When Nash hits full stride I wanna see either the return of Hagelin-Stepan-Nash or Kreider-Stepan-Nash

Could get real interesting

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->