If McDavid asks for and receives a trade does that finally force fans to stop supporting them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
That's your opinion, you're ignoring how contracts work. Oilers literally own his career.

I know how contracts are supposed to work, I hsve also watched pro sports enough to know if a superstar wants out his contracts doesn't mean f*** all, if s superstar wants out he usually gets moved.

Reactions: Kiwi

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I think you'd have to look at teams with either a VERY deep roster that could absorb the hit to their depth, so teams like Tampa, Toronto, Winnipeg etc.

or a team with a VERY strong prospect pool like the NYR, Colorado teams like that.

There aren't many teams that could do it but I think Toronto, Tampa, Winnipeg, Colorado and the Rangers could.
What do you think Edmonton would want from Toronto or Colorado?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I know how contracts are supposed to work, I hsve also watched pro sports enough to know if a superstar wants out his contracts doesn't mean **** all, if s superstar wants out he usually gets moved.

Pretty much

Either they force there way out or the team moves on, it's not great for a locker room to have guys in it who don't want to be there and there teammates know it

4chandler

Apr 11, 2019
I know how contracts are supposed to work, I hsve also watched pro sports enough to know if a superstar wants out his contracts doesn't mean **** all, if s superstar wants out he usually gets moved.
What do the Oilers have to gain by trading the best player in the league? It's their call no matter how you want to spin it.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
From Toronto Matthews+++ what those +++ are is the question

From Colorado Makar+ Mackinnon++

this wouldn't be a cheap deal
Why would Colorado do that? The improvement McDavid would bring over MacKinnon isn't worth Makar +++

McDavid is great, but he's not Gretzky, and that trade would leave Colorado worse off with McDavid than without him.

McDavid had what? 15 more points than MacKinnon this year, and 10? Last year.

McDavid costs twice as much, and throwing in blue chip prospects isn't worth the extra production McDavid would bring. It would hurt the team.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
I think he'll request a trade once the league expands to China. I'm sure he wants to be closer to his parents.

Reactions: LateSleeper

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Your fanbase is stalker fangirl obsessed with McDavid and harbours a ridiculous fantasy where he’s going to demand a trade to Toronto and he’s somehow going to only cost you spare parts. Multiple threads a week. Is McDavid unhappy?? Has he demanded a trade??? He hates Edmonton!!! He wants to come home!!! We’re sick to goddamn death of it.

I actually live in Edmonton and have neutral feelings toward the Oilers so stop assuming things. I asked a question without mentioning leafs or Matthew's and posters like you get all offensive and bring up Toronto and have a hissy fit lol it's kinda funny actually.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Sure they COULD but they wouldn't because doing that would be poison for that team, Look at the NBA star players demand trades all the time and they eventually get it almost every time.

Contracts in pro sports don't mean ****, especially when it comes to superstar players, all they are good for is assuring the player gets paid.

If a player like Mcdavid or Matthews or Eichel says "I want a trade." they are either A going to get it o

Or B the team will do ANYTHING to get them to change their mind because when you are the face of the franchise, and in Mcdavid's case the face of the league he hold the power, if he demand he's getting traded OR the Oilers will do whatever they are told to keep him happy.

Mcdavid is the face of the Oilers, AND the NHL.

Like it or not, Mcdavid is the boss, Mcdavid calls the shots

NBA players demand trades when they have 1 year left on their deal not 7. Also, this is the NHL not the NBA. The precedence for players taking over the league and doing whatever they wanted happened less than 5 years ago. During the Stern era it was very much so the Owners calling the shots, just like the NFL and just like the NHL. Don't over complicate things.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
At the very least, he wont be requesting a trade until his NMC kicks in. But I doubt he does at all. If they're still trash 7 years from now, he'll probably walk. But a lot can happen in 7 years, so who knows.

LateSleeper

Apr 12, 2019
This is a parity league. There is no point to asking for a trade unless you are a small gray mouse. If he joins a good team, he is going to disrupt it with his contract.

The only thing that makes sense in his situation is trying to get even better and help the others at least approach his level of play. It is not a spoiled brat league anymore. (Well, not to the "I wanna be on Rangers/Red Wings" extent.)

Hatrix

Oct 7, 2017
I made a concrete statement that was accurate. What is the exact rumour you are purporting?

Be careful to take note that I have NEVER suggested that McDavid wants to be traded or ask for a trade and that I don't believe that he EVER will.
Then stop white knighting for a guy that fits the mold I previously described perfectly.

This is 100% toronto media based horse shit and their puppets perpetuating nonsense like a jealous ex girlfriend that can't move on.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Gretzky was traded and the fans still supported the Oilers, we just had a new second favorite team in the Kings. Same thing will happen if Mcdavid ever gets traded.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
Personally with the way this team has been managed in the past 10+ years I would simply cheer for whichever team he was traded to. Only thing keeping me an oilers fan at this point is him.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
It wouldn't be Matthews. He's too much of a downgrade while barely gaining any cap space. They'd want better bang for their buck. Rielly would be the centerpiece of a huge package.
Reilly + Marner would get the conversation started. Matthews is not even close to a conversation starter, that's moving backwards.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
i live in edmonton, these fans will literally support an ahl team as there's nothing to do here. katz and management has got a sweet gig. no urgency, no accountability, just a bunch of buds chillen and counting the money. a nice life.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I feel like the Oilers could ice nothing but beer-leaguers for a whole season and they'd still sell out every game. So no.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
If a fan hasn’t stopped supporting them by now then chances are there’s nothing that will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad