If Marc Bergevin is fired, who do you want for next Habs GM ?

Next Habs GM

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Bowman was atrocious as Buffalo's GM. He was a born coach. that's it !
Absolutely bang on...................he was sooooooooooooo bad with the Sabres. Amazing how such an amazing coach was such a terrible GM. Think he would have been better than the bowling alley guy. We will never know...

Reactions: Runner77

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Habs played better last night without their "biggest stars" or contracts. Says something.
Not sure I’d read much into it, other than it was good to see the team was focused & realized the importance of the game.

Gotta keep in mind the Jets are exhausted, battered and bruised like Habs. People negatively comment on Habs D...well the Jets D is porous even when healthy.

Reactions: Vachon23

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Not sure I’d read much into it, other than it was good to see the team was focused & realized the importance of the game.

Gotta keep in mind the Jets are exhausted, battered and bruised like Habs. People negatively comment on Habs D...well the Jets D is porous even when healthy.
They played BETTER. lol hardly good. My point was that even with our "best players" out and that is a lot of firepower off the ice. The kids and vets played well enough for a solid game. I am accused of being negative a lot, but I am pointing out when they play well without the talent. Carbo really worked a low talent team to get us into the playoffs. Effort was there for the com back kids in the 2000's on most nights. We don't see that with this team. Way too many night it doesn't look like the team is trying.

Carbs team looked like they left it all on the ice each night. Back then I was accused of being someone with "rose coloured glasses, that can't tell a shite team even when my nose is already brown". But that team tried on most nights, good chemistry, low talent. I have seen better teams do far worse. Just like last night. On paper the team is cold diarrhea in a dixie cup, but they played a lot harder from what I was able to see (a little less than 2 periods total on and off) than they did when everyone was healthy and in the lineup. Its almost like the lesser players are given the opportunity to shine instead of taking a back seat to our top guys. Gally, Tatar, and Drouin are literally our best wingers from last year. Byron got top minutes as well. Weber and price are suppose to be the backbone of our backend.

Rom looked very solid. He has the making of a good chunk of Markovs IQ combined with the physical traits of a young emelin. Happy he is coming along so well. I expect to see a lot of negative comments should he have a bad season next year. But it wold be a sophomore slump IMO. D men also take a little longer to develop.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I've just read from Michel Bergeron that Roy as gm and Hartley coach would be a good team. They are both winners and they won together with the Avalange. Because that comes from Bergeron this will be treated like shit here but it looks good for me. Being able to win with russians is a bonus, I guess Hartley learned some russian language and Ebatchbaboutchka, lol.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I've just read from Michel Bergeron that Roy as gm and Hartley coach would be a good team. They are both winners and they won together with the Avalange. Because that comes from Bergeron this will be treated like shit here but it looks good for me. Being able to win with russians is a bonus, I guess Hartley learned some russian language and Ebatchbaboutchka, lol.

That would be a nightmare scenario.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The Avs were also a top-5 spending team in those days....except NYR all the Cup winners 94-04 were high spending teams in the top-5

How convenient of Bergeron to omit that “fact”...

Jul 6, 2016
A Roy-Hartley combo would give a huge kick in the pants to many underperforming players.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
A Roy-Hartley combo would give a huge kick in the pants to many underperforming players.
A rookie coach with the title INTERIM all written over him can't do it. It's vacation time for underperforming players until Habs hire a tough and experimented one. But on another side, DD is very intelligent, sorry for him he can't kick anyones pants.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Molson isn't going to allow for a rebuild, so what is it you think a new GM can do?

It's not like he's going to have much choice in the matter. Danault and Tatar are gone. Price and Weber are dead weights. So what's left? Gallagher/Petry and the younglings? I mean what are we winning with this?

The team has to be managed, staying where we are with the talent we have isn't going to the Stanley cup when teams like Toronto/Lightning/Boston/ etc. exist. We're not even in the 2nd tier, neither will we be next year even if Caufield is good early.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
That approach doesn’t work with this generation of player, and make no mistake the team will likely be younger integrating some prospect elements

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
It's not like he's going to have much choice in the matter. Danault and Tatar are gone. Price and Weber are dead weights. So what's left? Gallagher/Petry and the younglings? I mean what are we winning with this?

The team has to be managed, staying where we are with the talent we have isn't going to the Stanley cup when teams like Toronto/Lightning/Boston/ etc. exist. We're not even in the 2nd tier, neither will we be next year even if Caufield is good early.

Even if we did a full rebuild, we weren't getting a Matthews or McDavid. I'm fine with 99% of teh moves he's made, I don't see a need for change.

Jul 6, 2016
That approach doesn’t work with this generation of player, and make no mistake the team will likely be younger integrating some prospect elements

Roy is coaching 16-20 y.o. kids since a decade now. Hartley has coached players from all generations all over the World.

It's not a matter of kicking the guys every single day of a season, just know how and when to do it. And I am sure they know how. And these two guys won't be intimidated by MTL medias at all.

Reactions: Vachon23

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Habs played better last night without their "biggest stars" or contracts. Says something.
Ironic because
Weber (Captain)
Gallagher (Assistant)
Byron (Assistant)

are all missing. ''We lack leadership they say''. The game against Winnipeg was a bit shaky but Jets made us comeback twice but Montreal today did deserve to win against Ottawa. They played way better with the kids roaming than all the ''good vets'' around the team.

This is why i hate this no man's land right now. We do good in a covid season Bergevin stays , we do bad he's out. He's clearly not the solution for habs. He's so lucky that now Winnipeg is on a downfall and of course habs will play the easiest matchup in Edmonton.

Bergevin's ass is blessed with some kind of alien technology. You can't make this shit up.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Imagine where we would be if Price and Weber were performing to their cap hits this year? Seems to me that the youth, trades, and UFA signings Bergevin has acquired is the only reason why we are in a playoff spot.

If any one of us was GM in this situation, we would be disappointed with Price and Weber. I think they have let down the team to be honest.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
As McGuire has stated repeatedly on Mitch Melnick’s show, he was clearly told rebuild is not acceptable during interview process.

If rebuild is not acceptable, and ownership wants the team to be competitive....that’s gotta mean immediate...no?

This directly contradicts what Bergevin did though which was basically nothing in order to try to get another top pick. So it's more likely that McGuire's Molson objected to McGuire's plan to rebuild (He mentioned trading Subban for Yakupov at some point). Bergevin's plan was clearly to do nothing get another top pick and be competitive in 2-3 years, is that not consistent with a rebuild?

Anyways it really doesn't matter because regardless of what Molson wanted/thought back in 2012 he could have a different view on needing a rebuild now.

Jul 6, 2016
Hartley has one more season under contract with Omsk... And he said that he would like to coach that last one with their new arena opening next fall.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
This directly contradicts what Bergevin did though which was basically nothing in order to try to get another top pick. So it's more likely that McGuire's Molson objected to McGuire's plan to rebuild (He mentioned trading Subban for Yakupov at some point). Bergevin's plan was clearly to do nothing get another top pick and be competitive in 2-3 years, is that not consistent with a rebuild?

Anyways it really doesn't matter because regardless of what Molson wanted/thought back in 2012 he could have a different view on needing a rebuild now.
No McGuire didn’t...what he actually stated was if he’s the Edm GM he would offer the 1st overall to Mtl for Subban, just prior to 2012 draft

As for MB, he barely traded any picks in 2012 & 2013 - Habs had five 2nd rounders combined in his first two drafts and 15-picks total. Also there were all kinds of rumors MB was trying to get a second 1st rounder in 2012 for Teravainen and again in 2013 trying to move up to draft Horvat.

Furthermore, of the 5 2nd rounders Lekhonen is all they have to show...not to mention McCarron was a knee jerk selection to playoff loss to Sens. Simply stated it was poor drafting execution not an unwillingness to build through the draft

As for Molson he came out of the woodworks to only state “retool is done”....that was not ad hoc it was calculated message sending

Last edited:

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
No McGuire didn’t...what he actually stated was if he’s the Edm GM he would offer the 1st overall to Mtl for Subban, just prior to 2012 draft

From what I recall the whole if he was Edm GM came out much later (After Yakupov started struggling), his actual statements at the time were much more inline with it being something both teams would want.

As for MB, he barely traded any picks in 2012 & 2013 - Habs had five 2nd rounders combined in his first two drafts and 15-picks total. Also there were all kinds of rumors MB was trying to get a second 1st rounder in 2012 for Teravainen and again in 2013 trying to move up to draft Horvat.

Furthermore, of the 5 2nd rounders Lekhonen is all they have to show...not to mention McCarron was a knee jerk selection to playoff loss to Sens. Simply stated it was poor drafting execution not an unwillingness to build through the draft

As for Molson he came out of the woodworks to only state “retool is done”....that was not ad hoc it was calculated message sending

Not trading picks isn't rebuilding through the draft.

If MB was supposed to come in and make the team competitive right away as Molson expected/demanded then how do you explain MBs moves that summer. He signed Prust, Armstron and Bouillon and bought out Gomez. How is that making the team immediately competitive?

It's far more likely that McGuire wanted to sell off many vets for prospects and was proposing being competitive in 5+ years whereas Bergevin was saying they can keep the current core but still tank for another 1-2 years and then be competitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad