If Marc Bergevin is fired, who do you want for next Habs GM ?

Next Habs GM

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Sorry, this is BS. You don't need to have Cuban/Ballmer to have good ownership.

The best sports ownership group in the Canada is probably MLSE, which is basically Rogers, Bell and Larry Tennanbaum. Their model is to pretty much pick a smart, connected President (Shanahan - Leafs, Ujiri - Raptors, Manning - TFC/Argos) and let them do what needs to be done.
Compare MLSEs wherewithal to the Habs consortium...

It’s like comparing Boeing or Airbus to Bombardier

Reactions: Vachon23

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
McGuire has said many times he was specifically told by Molson & fellow consortium owner Andlauer during interview process “rebuild is not an acceptable option for ownership”.

Molson also stated “ownership expects the team to be immediately competitive” at his PC introducing MB as the new GM

So did I dream all that build through the draft stuff that Bergevin talked about when he was hired?

Also how does Bergevin's actual moves after getting hired fitwith making the team immediately competitive? Because signing Prust, Bouillon, Armstrong isn't what anybody would call making the team immediately competitive.

And his PC introducing MB he didn't say immediately competitive, he said improve in the short term and re-establish a winning team in the long term. Improve in the short term doesn't not equal immediately competitive, after rewatching it just now I'd even argue the short term Molson was referencing was actually a time frame of 2-3 years. Which could easily have been tank another year and then start looking to compete for the playoffs.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
So did I dream all that build through the draft stuff that Bergevin talked about when he was hired?

Also how does Bergevin's actual moves after getting hired fitwith making the team immediately competitive? Because signing Prust, Bouillon, Armstrong isn't what anybody would call making the team immediately competitive.

And his PC introducing MB he didn't say immediately competitive, he said improve in the short term and re-establish a winning team in the long term. Improve in the short term doesn't not equal immediately competitive, after rewatching it just now I'd even argue the short term Molson was referencing was actually a time frame of 2-3 years. Which could easily have been tank another year and then start looking to compete for the playoffs.
It’s what the Habs have done for a long time as Houle said, Andre Savard stated & tried, Gainey stated & tried etc. Draft & develop in parallel w being competitive (I.e keep high picks / prospects)

Important to note the term competitive = make the playoffs in order to generate a steady flow of revenue in Habs parlance

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It’s what the Habs have done for a long time as Houle said, Andre Savard stated & tried, Gainey stated & tried etc. Draft & develop in parallel w being competitive (I.e keep high picks / prospects)

Important to note the term competitive = make the playoffs in order to generate a steady flow of revenue in Habs parlance

The thing is short term isn't immediate, it can easily mean 2-4 years down the line. Molson and co saying they want the team to be a competitive/playoff team 4 years from now in no way means that tanking wass off the table, especially in a situation where you get 1 free year of tanking by already having a 3rd overall pick.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
The thing is short term isn't immediate, it can easily mean 2-4 years down the line. Molson and co saying they want the team to be a competitive/playoff team 4 years from now in no way means that tanking wass off the table, especially in a situation where you get 1 free year of tanking by already having a 3rd overall pick.
As McGuire has stated repeatedly on Mitch Melnick’s show, he was clearly told rebuild is not acceptable during interview process.

If rebuild is not acceptable, and ownership wants the team to be competitive....that’s gotta mean immediate...no?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
But it’s been that way for a long time, an American had to step in to buy the team at bargain bin price 20-years ago - only after getting a sweetheart loan from the provincial Govt

Go further back, ownership changed hands 6-times in. 25-years despite winning 16-Cups, and they had to force the GM involved in 10-of those Cups to step aside for a businessman to takeover as GM

Mtl/Quebec has no Mark Cuban or Steve Ballmer...that’s the real issue
Wow did not realize during all those cup years that ownership was so unstable
Curious as to why Sam Pollock was forced out?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Compare MLSEs wherewithal to the Habs consortium...

It’s like comparing Boeing or Airbus to Bombardier

No its not. Even if you ignore the Molson family's combined net worth, we're talking companies like Bell with stakes in the team.

Habs ownership absolutely spends a lot of money. They're just not spending it well.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Wow did not realize during all those cup years that ownership was so unstable
Curious as to why Sam Pollock was forced out?
He wasn’t forced out, he was promoted out of the way to Canadiens board of directors.

They were not maximizing profits, and Senator Molson was adamant of maximizing profits, so go figure he brought in a bowling alley manager.....

Reactions: Pickles and BLONG7

lilmaxo

Jul 12, 2015
Whoever sinks the ship and get us one of bedard,mitchkov,lambert,savoie or wright gets my vote.

tired of this same shit, we need a franchise/generational talent

Reactions: CapZzZzZz

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
No its not. Even if you ignore the Molson family's combined net worth, we're talking companies like Bell with stakes in the team.

Habs ownership absolutely spends a lot of money. They're just not spending it well.
Agreed - they do spend no qualms there. Spending well is somewhat open to interpretation...I know for a fact (from a player on the SJS) in both 2013 & 2014 trade deadline Habs went hard after Marleau and Jumbo Joe both refused to waive for Mtl (w agreed to deals in place).

The type of players the Habs have desperately needed for a long time (high end offensive talent), want nothing to do with Mtl for a myriad of reasons, and if you don’t spend the fans / media start questioning ownership dedication...

Now why the org doesn’t poach on amateur scouting & development side I don’t know - can only speculate there’s perhaps an unwritten rules amongst league owners frowning upon such practices

Last edited:

Capz

Jul 1, 2019
I think we got good kids coming through. I'd like to tear down and rebuild. Get rid of the old heads lets do it right for once please Molson

Reactions: Riggins and lilmaxo

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
He wasn’t forced out, he was promoted out of the way to Canadiens board of directors.

They were not maximizing profits, and Senator Molson was adamant of maximizing profits, so go figure he brought in a bowling alley manager.....
Very interesting......bowling alley manager...and right now we seem to have a used car salesman, so..................
Assuming this is why Bowman left the organization, because they took Grundman instead of himself...

Reactions: dcyhabs

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Agreed - they do spend no qualms there. Spending well is somewhat open to interpretation...I know for a fact (from a player on the SJS) in both 2013 & 2014 trade deadline Habs went hard after Marleau and Jumbo Joe both refused to waive for Mtl (w agreed to deals in place).

The type of players the Habs have desperately needed for a long time (high end offensive talent), want nothing to do with Mtl for a myriad of reasons, and if you don’t spend the fans / media start questioning ownership dedication...

Now why the org doesn’t poach on amateur scouting & development side I don’t know - can only speculate there’s perhaps an unwritten rules amongst league owners frowning upon such practices

I'm not sure the spending issue is specifically player or amateur scouting related. They're willing to throw cash at players. They've poached amateur scouts as well (Burke, Crawford, Rockstrom).

When I look at what front offices of successful teams have that Montreal doesn't, its: (a) staff/departments dedicated data collection and analysis and decision makers knowledgeable in the at area; and (b) specific skills development staff.

Montreal's kind of old-school in how they operate and its probably why you have a D-Core with one puck mover in the top-4. I'm actually starting to think that they shouldn't be poaching on the amateur scouting & development side, but having people that can find those guys in the first place. First-mover advantage is significant in sports and the Habs seem to play catch-up.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I don't get why we lose? We have a team full of character and our attitude is great . I get half of them are 1-2 years away from retirement but still the character. Can we please talk about that?

Reactions: Bergevillain

Jul 6, 2016
Very interesting......bowling alley manager...and right now we seem to have a used car salesman, so..................
Assuming this is why Bowman left the organization, because they took Grundman instead of himself...

Bowman was atrocious as Buffalo's GM. He was a born coach. that's it !

Reactions: BLONG7 and Kimota

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
upload_2021-4-30_19-15-13.png

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
An education doesn't make you smart. I watched him for YEARS at l'Antichambre and he's never said something interesting or smart once. He was in fact one of the most boring guys there.
Yzerman and Sakic are boring to in interview doesn't mean anything (I'm not comparing Drache to Sakic/Yzerman)

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
The injuries might be about to give MB a GOLDEN excuse and then he can laugh with the media lol

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
With Bob Hartley having won his championship in his league, he's riding high right now. You would think if Roy came in, he would be his first pick as coach. Hell I would bring Hartley for the Habs right now. He's a good communicator.

Jul 6, 2016
With Bob Hartley having won his championship in his league, he's riding high right now. You would think if Roy came in, he would be his first pick as coach. Hell I would bring Hartley for the Habs right now. He's a good communicator.

Will Roy brake Hartley's video equipment again ?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Yzerman and Sakic are boring to in interview doesn't mean anything (I'm not comparing Drache to Sakic/Yzerman)

These two guys are legends of the sport and have been close to important people all their lives. They knew they had the mind for it. Darche was a career AHLer hired in Tampa cause he's friends with Brisebois.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->