If Management Changes Were Made in 2015-2016 Offseason?

Feb 12, 2003
I know this is a big "what if?", but I think it's an interesting topic to discuss during the dog days of summer. For whatever reason imagine that GMDM was released a year ago heading into the 2015-2016 offseason. Everything stands as it is today, they name Chayka the GM (odd but let's go with it), Tippett is afforded the position he holds today, etc.

What moves do you think you would have seen the team make over the summer and how would the past season have gone? Would Tippett have pushed Chayka to trade for Doug Hamilton from Boston (Maloney was supposedly close) and if so at what cost?

What about free agency? Would Vermette and Michalek be brought back in? Would the Coyotes have signed Richardson, Downie, Lindback and Scott? What about any of the guys who left as UFA's like Campbell, Arocbello, McGuinn, Erat, etc? What potential UFA signings would you have expected instead?

What about trades during the season? Would Tip have pushed for Boedker, Gormley and Scott to be traded? Maybe Scott isn't signed to begin with, but really only Boedker was our big trade otherwise.

Would we have seen Domi, Duclair and Martinook make the team out of camp? Or would their spots have been filled by veteran UFA's or via trade?

Finally, how would the team have finished? Would they be a bottom 5, bottom 10, playoff bubble or playoff team?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
The team finishes worse. Our ownership looks like complete *****. Chayka's NHL career is over, and he's back to running his stats company. GMDM has another job, and that team makes the playoffs. Doan is disgusted by the entire FUBAR situation and announces his retirement. The team moves to Seattle.

Oh wait, that's my prediction for the future. :naughty:

Feb 12, 2003
Thanks for the reply MIG. Apparently this concept is a dud. There have been 200 views and only one person was compelled to respond.

I largely agree that there would be little difference with what happened versus what people think will happen. I'm just curious for the Tippett supporters what they think would have been done this past year.

I think there would have been a number of differences. I think there is a pretty good shot they would have signed free agents instead of giving opportunity for the rookies that made the team. Domi, Duclair and Martinook would have been call-ups during injury, so it's not like we wouldn't have seen them at all.

I'm thinking we wouldn't have seen the stretch with Domingue in the nets that we did, they would have gone out and traded for a veteran goalie to pick up the play.

They would have pushed to add a guy like Hamilton, if not someone else, that would have probably made the team better defensively coupled with out veteran additions. I don't think they would have signed John Scott or Downie and it's questionable whether they would have brought back Michalek and Vermette. The Coyotes may have been a player in the Patrick Sharp trade. The free agent list is too long to review, but I imagine holes would have been filled through free agency but likely none of the sexy names.

I think the team would probably have scored less with a decrease of talent in the lineup and that would have probably pushed them into the bottom 5 at the draft.

I think the season would have been a grind for Doan and it would end up being his last season as he would have given all the signs down the stretch.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Thanks for the reply MIG. Apparently this concept is a dud. .

I think there's just too many variables.

Last off season I was never quite sure if it was a case of Maloney trying to appease Tip by bringing in the old band types (Z, Vermette), those were the only guys who would sign here, they were affordable, or those were actually the best options relative to our budget. Or some combination of the those reasons. Ownership has since said it wasn't money but that was not at all clear last year, nor is it really now I guess.

Downie, on the contrary, I always thought was a pure Tippett oriented move in that it's pretty well established that Tippett won't abide his players running around. So if it works out you have Downie the scorer without his warts. Well it didn't work out but wasn't that expensive so no big deal.

For your what-if scenario on Hamilton. Would an inexperienced GM even be involved in that kind of fast moving deal at all? Or would he just be blindsided by him being available and never end up in on it? Some have said Maloney was slow on the uptake on this one as well so who knows. I don't really buy that though, I think it's more likely Maloney didn't want to overpay regardless of when he got involved.

Feb 12, 2003
I guess regarding Hamilton my theory is that the team would have a game plan going into the summer. They would likely look at teams with potential cap issues and RFA's that might make those cap issues more severe. It's pretty easy to figure out there were going to be changes on some teams for that reason, just like you'll see changes to some teams this offseason.

While a rookie GM might not be the first one to the party, they might be one that other teams engage to see if they can overspend. There may have been more of a bidding war between the Coyotes and Flames than there was with an experienced GM. It's all speculation, but I don't think you can disqualify the situation entirely.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
GMs around the league were pissed at Boston for not offering Hamilton around. Calgary and AZ caught wind of it somehow, and Calgary closed the deal. A new GM wouldn't have magically closed the deal. This idea that Don Maloney, lover of good deals and low risks, sat out trades because he wasn't a good GM is really silly.

The reality of the situation is that, as a rebuilding franchise, the Coyotes had and continue to have very little in the way of actual trade ammo to pull off big moves. It's not really worth it to trade for a D when you can bring in Z for 80% of the desired effect. You can't forget that AZ is not desirable for UFAs and won't be until there's a new arena that locks the team down long term.

I would have expected the new GM to sign a few Tippett recommendations that are established pros so that petty amateurs like Domi and Duclair can't be handed roster spots. What to do with those pros when the amateurs clearly outplay them in camp you say? Let's not think about that.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think sniper nailed it, too many variables.

Agreed, the only things that I will say are this:

- Hamilton is likely a member of the Coyotes. Therefore, Michalek does not get signed.

- Boedker probably gets re-signed, but I am only about 60-70% certain on that.

- We do not add Tinordi or Elliot through year. Gormley maybe stays with team, but could also be sent out for prospect depth.

- Center still an area of weakness. Richardson does get signed, Vermette about same odds as Boedker re-signing.

- Possession forwards are looked at in offseason (Frolik, Ward, a few others seemed like possibilities - not a guarantee we sign any of them).

- Coyotes obviously win Stanley Cup :sarcasm: Probably about the same record, but defense looks much brighter going forward.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
- Boedker probably gets re-signed, but I am only about 60-70% certain on that.

The way it went down, I have to believe it's still 0%. Considering that Boedker still didn't accept the tabled offer after his play went into the toilet that is.

- Possession forwards are looked at in offseason (Frolik, Ward, a few others seemed like possibilities - not a guarantee we sign any of them).

Really neither here nor there, but is Ward really considered a possession guy? Seems to me like he played above his head in that regard this year. Not that I would have considered him a traditional grinder bottom 6er either but he doesn't strike me as a possession darling so much as a solid possession player who had a career year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad