if lockout who gets 1rst overall pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
hockeyking2000 said:
If there is a lockout who will get 1rst overall pick next season?

They redo the lottery i believe.

I wish they didn't though because that would be awesome for the Caps. ;)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
There may not be a lottery. Without a CBA I'm not sure how its going to work. I can see 3 possible outcomes

1. Same order as this year, with a new lottery pick to kept the interest up.

2. Total random order.

3. Postponement of the draft until after there is a season. Just combine the 2005 and 2006 draft crops into one, or run two drafts one after the other as soon as the the season is done using that season's order.

3 makes the most sense to me.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
hockeyking2000 said:

If there is no CBA in place, there is no draft, it's that simple. 2006 would/will be stocked.

barnabyrules

Apr 29, 2004
IMO if there is a lockout they entire year (which i don't think there will be) then I think the most logical idea would be to rank the teams from 1-30 based on their overall records from the past 3 to 4 years and have a lottery with the top 12 teams with the same rules as the current lottery. That way you are helping the teams that are consistantly loosing and isn't that the point of the draft?

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
EroCaps said:
If there is no CBA in place, there is no draft, it's that simple. 2006 would/will be stocked.

I doubt the 2005 eligible players get thrown into the 2006 draft...they could still do two seperate drafts in june 2006.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The league has not reached a decision at this point. Anyone who is playing up any one of the various proposed methods of resolving the draft order as hard fact at this point is being a bit presumptuous. The league's position right now is to concentrate wholly on resolving the CBA re-negotiations. They have not revealed what they intend to do, and probably have yet to actually make a decision, even privately. Their official position is that they have bigger fish to fry right now.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
McDonald19 said:
I doubt the 2005 eligible players get thrown into the 2006 draft...they could still do two seperate drafts in june 2006.

Why not? Players don't have to opt in and can delay a year. By my understanding the entire 2005 could individually choose not opt in to the 2005 draft if they really wanted to, nothing to make them AFAIK. They could then opt in to the 2006 draft if they wanted.

YellHockey*

I think the NHL should do an in-arena poll at the draft to determine who gets to pick first overall!

Marksman

Mar 2, 2003
Visit site
BlackRedGold said:
I think the NHL should do an in-arena poll at the draft to determine who gets to pick first overall!

Maybe they hold WWF type tournament, everyone send their enforcer champion? :banana:

Jasper17

Apr 27, 2004
If there is no season next year, why don't they just do the easiest thing that also happens to make the most sence.

Not saying the idea's here are bad. But I can't imagine any reason why the NHL would not just use the same draft order as this year and redo the lottery with the teams having the same chance's of winning the #1 pick.

The draft is based on last season's records. If there is no season in next year, then the last season would once again be the 2003/2004 season.

Why change things? I think there are bigger issues in the CBA that need to be discussed and changed.

Lobstertainment

Oh no, my brains.
Nov 26, 2003
Toronto
I say just add the 2005 eligable to the 2006 draft and add Rounds or give teams 2 picks per round.

this years stats affect drafting position in this years draft, look at last year's stats to this years and the draft positions, is it fair to all teams to just use this years standings for next years draft?

a Lottery would be fair to everyone...or would it? say a team like Colorado or Detroit, or some other team that wins divisions wins the lottery should that team get Crosby over a re-building team like Washigton?

certinly it's fair that every team has a shot at #1 overall but a good team now could wind up with the best prospect while a team that's re-building winds up with a low pick?

I think the best idea would be a super draft, it seems fair to everyone as teams that finnesh low in the 05/06 season would still get their franchaise player to build around but the stornger teams could still pick up some good talent.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
hockeyking2000 said:

THIS ANSWER IS EASY!(IF WE ARE TALKING ABOUT the 2005 draft)

The draft is part of the CBA--so the NHLPA would get their two cents in and all 30 NHL teams would have to be on the same page)

NOW HERE IS THE HARD PART

The teams that were in the lotto this year would wnt just those 14 teams involved in the lotto and the other 16 would disagree. The NHLPA would want all draft elligibal players to become UFA's because there is no CBA signed at this point in time. The current CBA covers how many rounds there are, how much money a player can be signed for, returning to the minor or European team. Transfer rights and what not.

So depending on how you look at it, for the NHL to decide on what to do with the 2005 is rather simple--the bad news is that getting the other parties to agree upon it is the funpart. The NHLPA could say f u to whatever the NHL does and that would then tie the hands of all players drafted.

I hope you get what I am getting at. The nhl can decide whatever they want--but until a cba is signed it would mean nothing.

Jacques Strappe

Feb 12, 2004
Halifax
Whatever the decision, it has huge ramificatiions! We're talking about #1 pick Sidney Crosby, the so-called 'Next One' (no pressure though).

I say we let him decide who he wants to play for :)

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
Jacques Strappe said:
Whatever the decision, it has huge ramificatiions! We're talking about #1 pick Sidney Crosby, the so-called 'Next One' (no pressure though).

I'd love that :yo: ....he said he wanted to play for the HABS :yo:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Jacques Strappe said:

I'd be all for that (hab fan here) but it won't happen. Nor can they keep him out undrafted in 05/06 if he wants to play and is clearly capable at that time.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
I think the best solution would be to do the 2005 draft in 2006 and then, the minimal age to be draft would be 19. The 2006 draft pick wich some team alredy trade would become 2007 draft pick. Like that, the prospects would be more NHL ready and it would be fair for every teams...

Drew

May 24, 2004
How much do you think Crosby would sign for next year if he was a free agent?

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Al Strachan (okay, I know, I know) wrote that the draft will be held the exact same way the 2004 was held - same standings, just re-do the lottery.

Now it's not just Strachan who wrote this, I read it somewhere else (I think it might have been Dutaschuk or whatever his name is, but I can't remember to be honest with you).

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004

Your assuming a long lockout. I'm willing to bet the barn that we don't lose more than half a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad