If Lafreniere was born a month earlier would he challenge Hughes for 2019 1st overall?

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
The USHL is a junior A league, its not the same quality as the CHL at all. Any good players leave for the NCAA so they dont retain their talent. Cool, K'Andre Miller got drafted from there last year. How strong is he making that league now?
Sorry bud i go at least a half dozen USHL games a year as well as half dozen dozen WHL games a year . It is and has been for at least the last 5 years the same . You seem to have avoided my question of when was the last time you watched a USHL game live and by avoiding the question i take it as never .
If you go back and look at when they did the world junior cup in Russia the USHL team all but 1 year out preformed the CHL team metaling most years . CHL team won it 1 year and was last to second last most other years . Your statement is spoken by a true CHL fan with blinders on , we are the best everyone else sucks , what was 10 years ago is still the same blah blah blah .

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
Hughes also plays Jr.A caliber teams and has a boat load of talent on his team... whereas Lafreniere is alone and has been alone his entire life.

He is abosoulutely on Hughes’s level and suggesting he isn’t is just ludicrous.

in 20 or so games this year Hughes is playing against a lot of guys 5+ older than him and is still playing over a point per game against those players in NCAA, your ignorance is "Ludicrous" Try to Internet better going forward... watch more college hockey if you want to know what you are talking about!

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Sorry bud i go at least a half dozen USHL games a year as well as half dozen dozen WHL games a year . It is and has been for at least the last 5 years the same . You seem to have avoided my question of when was the last time you watched a USHL game live and by avoiding the question i take it as never .
If you go back and look at when they did the world junior cup in Russia the USHL team all but 1 year out preformed the CHL team metaling most years . CHL team won it 1 year and was last to second last most other years . Your statement is spoken by a true CHL fan with blinders on , we are the best everyone else sucks , what was 10 years ago is still the same blah blah blah .

Lol, outside of the development program how many NHL calibre prospects play in the USHL? How many of them play there after their draft year? That league has a solid number of guys drafted but the talent leaves. The CHL is full of first round calibre NHL picks that stay for a couple years post draft.

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
in 20 or so games this year Hughes is playing against a lot of guys 5+ older than him and is still playing over a point per game against those players in NCAA, your ignorance is "Ludicrous" Try to Internet better going forward... watch more college hockey if you want to know what you are talking about!
Way to miss the point and way to skip your homework...

20 games or so sounds made up... and maybe you should of read all my posts.

I never said he didn’t play NCAA schools as he does, I said he also plays Jr.A teams which is what the USHL falls under as a classification.

You make it sound as if everyone in college hockey is 25 and up, which they aren’t.

While I like the older argument, older doesn’t always mean better.

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018

I never said he didn’t play NCAA schools as he does, I said he also plays Jr.A teams which is what the USHL falls under as a classification.

You make it sound as if everyone in college hockey is 25 and up, which they aren’t.

I said 20 or so because that's usually around the number the NDTP tries to play but scheduling each year, its not always that exact number.. Looks like they are playing 16 D1 Teams this year

And you talk about the USHL like its easy for a 17 year old to dominate in, which it isn't.... also 5 years older than Jack Hughes wouldn't be 25 years old, it would be 22-23 so I don't understand your math.... and Yes college hockey teams are older and more physically matured than CHL roster's, that's just a fact... its rare anyone is under the age of 18 in the NCAA and actually most freshman are 19 years old. And while older doesn't necessarily mean better on an individual basis, the systems are much better in the NCAA than you see in the CHL because the players are older and more mature.... so are the goalies, there's less ice available in NCAA than CHL on a nightly basis, that's just a fact... especially if we are talking about the QMJHL! There is a reason Hughes elected to stay at the NDTP rather than go to Mississauga, he wanted to play against the older competition and he wasn't able to get his schooling done in time to enroll in Michigan early like Poehling did a couple years ago, or Brinkman did this year....

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Lol, outside of the development program how many NHL calibre prospects play in the USHL? How many of them play there after their draft year? That league has a solid number of guys drafted but the talent leaves. The CHL is full of first round calibre NHL picks that stay for a couple years post draft.
It is an older league they have 4 ,20 year olds just about no 16 year olds . Look at college hockey a lot of drafted players don't thrive there at all but lots of undrafted players sign NHL contracts every year out of college . You guys think players at 17, 18 are fully developed and there are not . There are only 17 USHL teams there are about 60 CHL teams so the talent is spread much much thinner .
Also why do you say outside the UDNTP do they not play in the USHL
I am from Winnipeg and the Jets have been heavily drafting out of the USHL for the last 4-5 years and it seems to be working out quite well for us .
Also how many USHL games you been to live in the last 5 year . Lots of guys on here with lots of opinions but very few with informed opinions . I go to MJHL games WHL games USHL games NAHL games College Div 1 games and boat loads of Bantam, Midget games every year , have scouted for two of those leagues and am used as an advisor for opinions on a few teams in another league so i ain't talking out my ass . Any body can come on here with an opinion but actual informed opinions are rare .

wasup

Mar 21, 2018

Classifications are different in the US than in Canada they don't have the same classifications all the way up so don,t get so caught up in classifications.

Their birth years are different their minor hockey classifications are different and so are their junior systems .

USHL -NAHL- USPHL and WSHL are similar Canada, Major Junior than Junior A Junior B

u

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I said 20 or so because that's usually around the number the NDTP tries to play but scheduling each year, its not always that exact number.. Looks like they are playing 16 D1 Teams this year

And you talk about the USHL like its easy for a 17 year old to dominate in, which it isn't.... also 5 years older than Jack Hughes wouldn't be 25 years old, it would be 22-23 so I don't understand your math.... and Yes college hockey teams are older and more physically matured than CHL roster's, that's just a fact... its rare anyone is under the age of 18 in the NCAA and actually most freshman are 19 years old. And while older doesn't necessarily mean better on an individual basis, the systems are much better in the NCAA than you see in the CHL because the players are older and more mature.... so are the goalies, there's less ice available in NCAA than CHL on a nightly basis, that's just a fact... especially if we are talking about the QMJHL! There is a reason Hughes elected to stay at the NDTP rather than go to Mississauga, he wanted to play against the older competition and he wasn't able to get his schooling done in time to enroll in Michigan early like Poehling did a couple years ago, or Brinkman did this year....
I’m not saying it’s easy it’s not. But I am saying that he’s playing inferior teams half the year, and that he’s got more talent around him.

Agreed that 17 vs 22-23 is a huge challenge.

As for structure and systems after bantam hockey there’s not much that changes in that area it’s all the same mostly imo having coached elite hockey.

I think that the separation between top guys and bottom guys is smaller as you get older which accounts for lower scoring seasons.

The Q is a high scoring league always has been, they play a more open offensive game, that doesn’t mean that have worse systems by any stretch. The WHL is a great league with a Moreno defensive and grinding game and they use the same systems (2–1-2, Umbrella, box 1 etc).. so I would say that the game is played differently, but quality of systems I disagree. goalies is a bit of a an obvious one goalies will be better in most cases and they are most phycsically developed.

You also said 5+ years older which implies older than 22-23..

I don’t know which D1 teams they play so I won’t comment on the caliber, but the USHL is not on par in caliber with the CHL, there’s debates as to where the best Jr.A league is as well.

There’s no denying that player against guys older than you is challenging and some players can and want to do that which is fine.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Classifications are different in the US than in Canada they don't have the same classifications all the way up so don,t get so caught up in classifications.

Their birth years are different their minor hockey classifications are different and so are their junior systems .

USHL -NAHL- USPHL and WSHL are similar Canada, Major Junior than Junior A Junior B

u
They aren’t the same in caliber is what I’m saying.

USHL is the top junior league in the US from what I know but it’s not as good as major junior.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
They aren’t the same in caliber is what I’m saying.

USHL is the top junior league in the US from what I know but it’s not as good as major junior.
Yes they are, i watched 2 Fargo Force games 3 Omaha lancers games and 1 Sioux falls games last year and 4 Brandon Wheat Kings last year . There would be a 3-4 goal spread for Fargo and safely 3-4 goals . Like i have said i watch games live every year ,they are within easy driving distance and the fact is US hockey has caught up and they are not taking a back seat us or anyone else . So i am telling you since about 5 years ago the are the same caliber.
Another tid bit for ya , the top two or so BCHL teams would beat 30/40 percent of the WHL teams as well . That league is allow 8/9 20 year olds per team and do not have many 16 yr olds . They also get a few top end younger kids that want to go College route Fabbro Cholowski Jost Newhook etc ...
Also you say the USHL is the top league in the US from what you know ,proves to me you have never watched a game and have no clue what happens out of the CHL whether it's in the US ,Europe or Russia so there is no sense trying to debate any thing hockey with ya .

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Yes they are, i watched 2 Fargo Force games 3 Omaha lancers games and 1 Sioux falls games last year and 4 Brandon Wheat Kings last year . There would be a 3-4 goal spread for Fargo and safely 3-4 goals . Like i have said i watch games live every year ,they are within easy driving distance and the fact is US hockey has caught up and they are not taking a back seat us or anyone else . So i am telling you since about 5 years ago the are the same caliber.
Another tid bit for ya , the top two or so BCHL teams would beat 30/40 percent of the WHL teams as well . That league is allow 8/9 20 year olds per team and do not have many 16 yr olds . They also get a few top end younger kids that want to go College route Fabbro Cholowski Jost Newhook etc ...
Also you say the USHL is the top league in the US from what you know ,proves to me you have never watched a game and have no clue what happens out of the CHL whether it's in the US ,Europe or Russia so there is no sense trying to debate any thing hockey with ya .

Not much point in continuing with this... you named 3 teams that are traditional powers... and say they’d easily beat a good Brandon wheat kings squad... come one.

I have no doubts that the top Jr.A teams could play in the CHL and compete, but to suggest they’d be top teams, consistently.. it’s rare that a Jr.A team is so good that it would rival most CHL teams.

Are you saying that the NAHL has passed the USHL in caliber ? Has the J20 Superelit been decided as top junior league ?

Can you even name the other junior league or tell me why they have some foreign players in it ?

Corso

Aug 13, 2018

I've never seen a WHL game but I would always place my money on a good WHL team usually beating the best USHL team. The reason is simple; the USHL loses their very best 18 and 19 year old players to the NCAA while the CHL retains theirs until the age of 20. The very best USHL team would have a very very difficult time in the Memorial Cup tournament and would never be expected to compete for a league title because of it.

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Here's another tidbit for you. No, no they wouldn't.

This is ridiculous.
They absolutley would but the use way older rosters ,they can use 8, 20 years olds in that league , and have no 16 year and only a few 17 year old . They also are getting several top young kids going there cause they want to go the College route it is the top junior A league in Canada . In 2016 Jost Fabbro , Penticton and Chowolski all first rounders pick way before the first WHL player was picked . Last year Tychonick this there are two more going in the first round this year . Once again you guys on here thinking you know everything i can guarentee have never seen a BCHL either so your opinions are worthless . Talking about something you have never seen and know crap about is weak really weak .

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
I've never seen a WHL game but I would always place my money on a good WHL team usually beating the best USHL team. The reason is simple; the USHL loses their very best 18 and 19 year old players to the NCAA while the CHL retains theirs until the age of 20. The very best USHL team would have a very very difficult time in the Memorial Cup tournament and would never be expected to compete for a league title because of it.
I come at you this way , just cause you are drafted does not guarentee you are going to be a great player . Lots of players develop late or are drafted quite late and tons are undrafted . If you backed the draft off to 19 it would look way different , drop it to 20 and it would look quite different again . Every year there are players that make the NHL that were never drafted and way more players are drafted in their second and third year of eligibility now than ever before . . These USHL are generally older and yes older makes a different . Jump ahead to to College DIV 1 , first round picks rarely or pretty well never in their teams top 3 players their first year and some not in there second year either . That's cause age of players matters .
There are about 22 players or so drafted in the first two rounds out out of the CHL these last few drafts and out of that a couple make the jump straight to the NHL . So 20 18yr old and 20 19yr olds divided by 60 some CHL teams leaves 2/3rds of a first or second round player playing on each team . That ain't going to make any difference . For the Mem cup yes those teams stack up and trade their left nut to try to win but i'm talking about the average CHL team the average USHL team , they are the same
This is also my last post on here cause i am debating with people that don't go to games to watch , other than their own leagues so have no idea what other leagues are all about and refuse to accept that other leagues have gained and some caught up with the CHL . Good thing the NHL teams doing the drafting don't have the same logic as you guys , the CHL has lost substantial ground in the last 10 years on the draft cause other leagues are every bit as good at developing and players no longer have to come to the CHL . Europe is doing a bang up job .
I'm gone ,

Copenhagen91

Jan 28, 2016
They absolutley would but the use way older rosters ,they can use 8, 20 years olds in that league , and have no 16 year and only a few 17 year old . They also are getting several top young kids going there cause they want to go the College route it is the top junior A league in Canada . In 2016 Jost Fabbro , Penticton and Chowolski all first rounders pick way before the first WHL player was picked . Last year Tychonick this there are two more going in the first round this year . Once again you guys on here thinking you know everything i can guarentee have never seen a BCHL either so your opinions are worthless . Talking about something you have never seen and know crap about is weak really weak .
They can use 6 20 year olds max

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017

I don't care if they iced 21 - 20 year olds. 40% of the BCHL is not beating the WHL. You're in over your head, period.

Reactions: IHaveNoCreativity

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Huh? The BCHL always has 16 year olds in it. Here's a list of them.

Elite Prospects - BCHL Stats 2018-2019

And only a few 17 year olds? Umm, there's a bunch.

The second bolded is pretty pompous for someone who got a very basic fact about Jr. A Hockey in Canada wrong.

You also pick the one year that is a major abberation from the historical norm by using 2016. How many BCHL guys on average get drafted? How many WHL guys do? Last year their were 2 BCHLers in the top 90, the year before there was only one BCHLer drafted, and it was in the 5th, compared to 32 WHLers. Now, that's also an abnormal year, but just as nitpicked as your 2016 example and more recent.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Lafreniere's age would be the biggest difference maker if he was taken this draft.

A Sept/Aug baby with his pedigree would have to see a big rise on account of that. He might go first because his package exposes blemishes in Hughes' play (size, essentially). I'd like to see if Lafreniere can hit 120 points this year.

I don't like that Hughes didn't go the college route - I think that was a bad decision made out of fear of losing draft status if he only showed average play (let's say 30 points in 40 games type of play)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Lafreniere's age would be the biggest difference maker if he was taken this draft. A Sept/Aug baby with his pedigree would have to see a big rise on account of that. He might go first because his package exposes blemishes in Hughes' play (size, essentially)
Hughes is born in mid-may. I don't think birthday would play a major factor. The gap is small than a lot of gaps already present in the draft. I'm also of the opinion, at the very top of the draft, when a prospect is born between Sept 16 and Sept 15 isn't significant. The gap only really starts to appear outside the top 5, and basically sets into a permanent gap around 20th overall or so. Since no major prospect in this draft is a late birthday, I don't think it would be that played up. There is really only one late birthday who shows up top 15 (Lottery territory) in most rankings, and that's Rapahel Lavoie.

It's a bit unusual, for example, 2018 had 5 late-birthdays (Tkachuk, Zadina, Hughes, Kravtsov and Bouchard), 2017 had 6 (Patrick, Makar, Pettersson, Andersson, Mittelstadt and Foote), 2016 had 4 (Matthews, Tkachuk, McAvoy and Kunin), and 2015 had 4 in that range (Eichel, Meier, Rantanen and Debrusk). The next most common are guys like Anntoni Honka and Nolan Foote. Now, maybe some guys improve and end up with the average between 4 and 6, but right now it's looking to be an abnormal draft in this regard. For whatever reason, almost all of the preceived elite talents born in 2000, were born before September 16th (Dahlin, Svechnikov, Kotkanimei, Hayton, Boqvist, Dobson, and Wahlstrom).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad