Line Combos: If Kerfoot is gone, pick a cheap UFA replacement

Assuming Kerfoot is gone, who would be cheaper AND can fill the #3C role?

• Total voters

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Craig Smith is a better winger, as is Glach, they shouldn't be in this Poll.

I voted Huala and Eakin and Soderberg

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Kerfoot only moves if a very big signing happens on the back-end, perhaps a cup-winning, gold medal winning, Right-handed Defenceman. I wonder if there's a UFA this season that fits that description.

If that is the case, then get the best available player for cheap who is capable of being an adequate 3rd line Center. Preferably someone who is good defensively and won't cost the Leafs any goals while on the ice.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Remember how the repeated mantra in the Clifford departure thread is that he's easy to replace? What's so difficult to replace about 9 goals, 19 assists in 65 games in a buyer's market? The problem is who would take Kerfoot's contract and why in the world would the GM completely nuke the Kadri deal after 1 season? Surely the GM doesn't have a death wish.

I’d be happy with keeping Kerfoot around, but worrying about the optics of the Kadri deal should be Dubas’ last priority. Do what it takes to improve the team rather than force something that isn’t working just to get a “win” from a trade that was made over a year ago.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
For the record, I think Kerfoot will be back. We have no internal replacement, that I can see. So let's take a quick look at possible replacements that will be available as free agents.

For this thread, assume Kerfoot is gone, and we have to sign a UFA to replace his spot at #3C. Please pick any name that you think can do the job AND sign for less than Kerfoot's 3.5 million. Select all that you think apply.

You don't have to like them better than Kerfoot. Go ahead and suggest a name if I missed someone legit.

I also added a "Spezza can do it" option, just to see how many fans think that's feasible.

Please post your picks.
what makes you think 1/2 those guys would come cheaper?

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
I would be okay with Spezza as #3 and a #4 faceoff pking signing

We have Tavares and Matthews. We should be fine with a low end 3C. Have to make cuts somewhere if we want defense

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Kerfoot only moves if a very big signing happens on the back-end, perhaps a cup-winning, gold medal winning, Right-handed Defenceman. I wonder if there's a UFA this season that fits that description.

If that is the case, then get the best available player for cheap who is capable of being an adequate 3rd line Center. Preferably someone who is good defensively and won't cost the Leafs any goals while on the ice.

The rhd UFA signing only happens if Marner (+) or Nylander (++) get traded. Otherwise I can’t see them fitting him in under the cap. Unfortunately, I don’t believe Dubas will trade either one of them. Hope I’m wrong.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If we downgrade our 3C and D anymore, it won’t matter what you are doing with those guys at the top. You have compromised the team.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Wouldn’t mind Brassard. Had 32 points in 66 games (more than Kerfoot). Is 6’1”, has 25 pounds on Kerfoot and averages about 100 hits a year. He had 115 hits last year, more than any other Leaf last year and more than Kerfoot had in his career (112). Brassard was 55% on the draws last season.

Only signed for 1.2M last year. Biggest downside is he can’t play short handed. But neither did Kerfoot. If you can get a good deal for Kerfoot, I gladly take it. You can find what Kerfoot did last year very easily.

Reactions: qqaz

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Larsson would be great, but I think the cat may be out of the bag about him being underrated and a potential shrewd pickup. He's coming off a contract that saw him paid $1.55 million. If there's a bidding war for him we could be looking at a $2 million AAV for him, which would be manageable but not super cheap. I see him as a 3C on this team given his defensive prowess, his strong possession numbers, and he would be great to have on the PK. Also see this tweet regarding his defensive acumen and who he matched up against.

He's my top target to replace Kerfoot.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
That's Koivu - although he might get more than $1 mil.

If Koivu comes in under a million, I would probably take that risk. He’s really good on face offs. Even in decline, he’s really good defensively. Offence has dried up a lot, but maybe a change of scenery invigorates him.

The Nic

Jul 26, 2009
I like Haula, Brassard and Larsson as a potential #3 Center... Grant would be a fine #4.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Dubas picked up a decent bottom six center in Evan Rodrigues. If Dubas offers him a contract which will be much less than his previous arbitration contract he should take it to build his career. He’s a decent player at the right price

Reactions: qqaz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad