If John Davidson takes Blues GM job...

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
Who should become The NHL On OLN and NBC's #1 Color Commentator?

Right now, OLN's other analysts are:

-Keith Jones
-Neil Smith
-Pierre McGuire
-Ed Olczyk
-Brian Engblom
-Darren Eliot
-Andy Brickley

And NBC's other analysts are:

-Ray Ferraro
-Ed Olczyk
-Pierre McGuire
-Brian Hayward
-Joe Micheletti
-Peter McNab
-Cammi Granato

Who should be the #1 voice, should it be someone not on this list?

I would say, use Andy Brickley for OLN. He's very good at the job, and he's always able to carry a broadcast and provide great info. For NBC, there is no obvious choice, and no one other than Pierre that casual sports fans know.

So who do you guys think, if JD were to get hired by his buddy Chekkets?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Draft Guru said:
I'd bet money on JD staying right where he is. I don't see him taking a GM job unless it's the Rangers.
Why would he want to do that? He's getting paid to watch and talk about hockey. He has no accountability. Being a GM sucks. You work ten times harder and get fired when things go bad.

BDubinskyNYR17*

DaMick said:
Pointless thread

What makes John Davidson qualified to be a general manager? :huh:

To my knowledge all hes ever done is announcing.

agreed its like saying when Sather steps down Mark Messier will be the GM cause he won us a cup in 94. Makes no sense. :shakehead

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
shoothepuck said:
JD likes doing what he does. Blues GM has no upside, only headaches

I think building a team with a lot of young players and getting some money to spend and get your name on the Stanley Cup has a tremendous upside.

Money talks.

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
Hasbro said:
Doesn't Davidson have the same resume that Matt Millen had when he took over the Detroit Lions?

Very well done. Yes he does. 5 years ago Matt Millen was a pretty highly regarded NFL TV analyst. The Detroiit Lions haven't had a winning season since and have had a top 10 pick every year since. :cry:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Bringing people in from the broadcasting booth to become GM's or Team President's just doesn't work.Besides the Matt Millen fiasco,there is Phil Esposito,Hawk Harrelson and Dale Tallon.Just because JD has every cell number to all the NHL power brokers doesn't mean he will be a successful management figure.If Dave Checketts had 1/2 a brain,he would elevate Jarmo Kekalainen to GM.
Unfortunately,Utah Dave doesn't know him.Checketts will look to bring in Colin Campbell and/or Neil Smith

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
lemieux32 said:
The talk is that JD would be the president, not GM.

Just exactly would be JD's duties as team president?Would he make the personnel decisions or would the GM?If JD isn't making the decisions,then what exactly will he be doing?He doesn't have a business degree or background to run the financial side of the Blues operation.Is he just going to be a figurehead collecting a check?That is not John :shakehead He will get bored within one month

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
DaMick said:
What makes John Davidson qualified to be a general manager? :huh:

It's never stopped management from hiring people. Wayne Gretzky had no previous coaching experience. Bob Clarke stepped off the ice and into the GM's job. There are others, and it's not just hockey: Pete Rose was a player/manager in a time when player/managers were long gone, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson had no previous coaching experience... and so on. Some of them have been sucessful, some haven't, and the jury is still out on others. But lacking qualifications has prevented owners and GMs from hiring people.

lemieux32*

RangerBoy said:
Just exactly would be JD's duties as team president?Would he make the personnel decisions or would the GM?If JD isn't making the decisions,then what exactly will he be doing?He doesn't have a business degree or background to run the financial side of the Blues operation.Is he just going to be a figurehead collecting a check?That is not John :shakehead He will get bored within one month

I suggest you do some reading up on what the president of a pro sports franchise does.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Dr Love said:
But lacking qualifications has prevented owners and GMs from hiring people.
No, but in this new complicated salary cap world, I would really hope that teams hold their GMs to higher standards. Under the old system, it was easy to be a GM.

DaMick

at least we got D
Dec 10, 2003
Purgatory
Visit site
Dr Love said:
It's never stopped management from hiring people. Wayne Gretzky had no previous coaching experience. Bob Clarke stepped off the ice and into the GM's job. There are others, and it's not just hockey: Pete Rose was a player/manager in a time when player/managers were long gone, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson had no previous coaching experience... and so on. Some of them have been sucessful, some haven't, and the jury is still out on others. But lacking qualifications has prevented owners and GMs from hiring people.

Funny but all these guys you mentioned have one thing in common.

None won a championship as management.

JD would be Hockeys version of Matt Millen if he got hired as GM

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Troy McClure said:
No, but in this new complicated salary cap world, I would really hope that teams hold their GMs to higher standards. Under the old system, it was easy to be a GM.

I would too, but these are sports owners we are talking about. As a whole, I don't put any faith into them. Dave Checketts, I don't know much about him, but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt considering his resumé. But as a whole, I don't give any of them the benefit of the doubt.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
DaMick said:
Funny but all these guys you mentioned have one thing in common.

None won a championship as management.

Sure, if you limit it to the five guys I mentioned. Had I put Joe Torre in there, your point wouldn't be valid.

JD would be Hockeys version of Matt Millen
if he got hired as GM

You don't know that. He could be, but you can't say with any certainty. Matt Millen was a stooge in the booth and in the front office. JD might not be a good GM, but I don't see any reason why he would be as big of a failure as Millen has been.

DaMick

at least we got D
Dec 10, 2003
Purgatory
Visit site
Dr Love said:
[/font][/font]

Sure, if you limit it to the five guys I mentioned. Had I put Joe Torre in there, your point wouldn't be valid.

Joe Torre?

It took him a long time to develop into a championship manager
http://www.baseball-reference.com/managers/torrejo01.shtml

AND Torre was never a GM but a head coach .

Big difference

My point as i stated before was JD ,i honestly dont believe has the qualifications to be a General manager in the NHL.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
DaMick said:
Joe Torre?

It took him a long time to develop into a winning manager
http://www.baseball-reference.com/managers/torrejo01.shtml

AND Torre was never a GM but a head coach .

Big difference

My point as i stated before was JD ,i honestly dont believe has the qualifications to be a General manager in the NHL.

You're missing the point. He went straight from playing to managing and won championships. And 4 of the 5 guys I listed were coaches, it's too late to go "no, not coaches, just GMs."

I haven't disagreed that he doesn't have the qualifications to be a GM. I'm simply stating that not having the qualifications to run a team doesn't stop owners from hiring people lacking qualifications.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->